(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
    but the handling and collision is a little dubious as a downside. .
    Yeah, far more polished, but the handling isn't so smooth. Could have been perfect.

Comment

Just finished Goemon’s Great Adventure on the N64.
      I’ve tried to play this a few times but I have never been able to get on with it. Finally forced my way through and....my initial thoughts stand.

I don’t get the admiration for this version. Sure on the surface you see a 2.5d Goemon game and you think it’s a return to the classic style, but the game itself really isn’t good IMO.

Firstly the camera is too close, or doesn’t move well enough to stop you from being constantly hit by enemies that appear on screen. They’ve deliberately made numerous enemies fly straight at you too, so happens sooo much it just makes it frustratingly difficult..You’re constantly forced to walk, stop, walk, stop.

Secondly, the last mission of an area is gated by a certain number of passes so a lot of the secondary missions are actually required and they’re not much fun. They mainly involve revisiting a completed level and doing something specific in a time limit. Find items, kills enemies etc. Many are awkward to find so you’re left wandering around as the time ticks down and you end up failing and needing to repeat. Not enjoyable

Third, different characters have different skills but instead of like in other games where you can change on the fly you’re required to go to a warp platform, warp out of the level, change and then warp back in. Super annoying and completely takes you out if the flow

Lastly, again and massive break in flow, after you beat a boss, you move to a new area, you’re then required to do 2 and sometimes 3 levels before reaching a town. Why is this annoying? Because if you want your health back (likely after a boss) or want to buy food, armour to tackle a level it means you’re forced to move out of the area, back to the previous one just to go to a village to buy stuff. You can literally spend minutes just traversing the map to go buy something.

The first game on the N64 is sooooo much better.

Quickly checking Wikipedia and this game had a different director to the usual Goemon director, and it definitely shows IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Yeah, far more polished, but the handling isn't so smooth. Could have been perfect.
        Having finished the game now and spent time mastering the new handling and courses, I really like it now. It just takes more time getting used to. The weird collision is the main issue in my opinion, but look beyond that, and this is a brilliant update. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the 1995 Saturn port any more either.

Comment

12 hours into FFVII, I forgot just how much I love this game

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
            Having finished the game now and spent time mastering the new handling and courses, I really like it now. It just takes more time getting used to. The weird collision is the main issue in my opinion, but look beyond that, and this is a brilliant update. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the 1995 Saturn port any more either.
            How do you like the Dreamcast version? 60fps and far superior visuals, but the handling is incredibly twitchy. I can't help but feel that Daytona never got the home port it deserved back in the day.

Comment

I've never played Daytona USA 2001, but from what I recall it was designed with steering wheel controls in mind, hence the twitchy controls on a standard controller.

Comment

Thought it high time I knuckle down and finish some games so I can move on to some fresh meat (next up will be Final Fantasy III/VI for SNES).

Star Odyssey (Mega Drive)
                I have really enjoyed playing through this rather primitive RPG, in spite of its savage encounter rate and downright broken elements (no matter how much you level up, the enemies seem to level up as well). It features a sci-fi theme with somewhat of a decent and interesting storyline for a game of its age, and it has a certain charm to it that those early Mega Drive titles tend to have, harking back to a time when 16-bit console gaming was new and fresh.

Unfortunately the end boss, Dagnal, is way too powerful and despite a few attempts at defeating him, I have decided to give up and consign this to a short list of RPGs whereby I’ve almost finished the game yet can’t be arsed to continue grinding just to beat the end boss. So, along with Chrono Trigger and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, I may never get to see the conclusion for this one.

Shadowrun (SNES)
                I’m a big fan of this action adventure/point and click game, with its moody soundtrack and gritty Bladerunner-esque visuals. To be honest this one I’ve been playing for years as it can be a bit obtuse at times as to what to do next. I’m at the last few stages in the game, the volcano, and the difficulty is getting brutal. A hard slog to the finish line, this, and thanks to having to save the game in your dorm room, having to keep going back when you die is proving rather frustrating.

Comment

Finished original Xbox Project Snowblind - quite a short game and whilst it did improve, the level design included, I still standby the criticisms I made earlier. Too many weapons to manage, many of them redundant and inconsistent, poorly thought out stealth options.

Entertaining enough but without doubt a second division FPS when measured against the best examples of that generation.

Meant to say earlier, whilst it is very much only an occasional go-to game, I'm also playing through the old (1995) Doom/Forsaken-like FPS Descent. Like Doom and Quake its early 3D ("six degrees of freedom"), complex, labyrinthine level design puts many other FPS made since to shame.

Comment

I've always hated the ice mountain area of FFVII and that view has not changed with this playthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                      . I can't help but feel that Daytona never got the home port it deserved back in the day.
                      It's such a shame that Sega messed up the handling with the Dreamcast version. The original Saturn versions feels much nicer.

The 360 port plays really well.

Comment

I decided to have a CRT session yesterday. Found out that my Sony has a 'tilt' option in the main menu, so now the image is totally straight. I was worried that I'd have to open it up.

Anyway, I played Super Aleste. Reminded me how great it looks on a good CRT -- the image is really vivid and the colours pop off the screen. It's quite an hypnotic game and easily one of the best shooters for the SNES. It's such a shame that we didn't get a sequel.

I also played Magician Lord. The vibrant visuals and nice use of colour makes it quite a stunning game. I always enjoy playing through it.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-07-2019, 06:57.

Comment

It's such a shame that Sega messed up the handling with the Dreamcast version
                          think you mean Genki? ;-)

Comment

Played some Tomb Raider on the Saturn, got to stage 2 and gave up. The music was still fantastic, and while this isn't anything new the game really hasn't aged well at all, especially this version.

Booted up Loaded, another great Gremlin conversion for Sega's console!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                              think you mean Genki? ;-)
                              Yeah, I read about that in Retro Gamer. But Sega should have made sure the handling felt good with a pad.

I always want to like the game when I go back to it, because it looks(VGA ) and sounds great, but I always end up feeling frustrated with how the cars handle.

Genki also made Multi Racing Championship for the N64 that really disappointed me.

At least Shutokou Battle 2 for the Dreamcast was something special -- loved how that looked and the overall vibe of the game.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-07-2019, 14:39.

Comment

Yeah, I read about that in Retro Gamer. But Sega should have made sure the handling felt good with a pad.

I always want to like the game when I go back to it, because it looks(VGA ) and sounds great, but I always end up feeling frustrated with how the cars handle.

Genki also made Multi Racing Championship for the N64 that really disappointed me.

At least Shutokou Battle 2 for the Dreamcast was something special -- loved how that looked and the overall vibe of the game.
                                Shotokou 2 is in my top 10. Oozes atmosphere and playability; Criminally underrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X