No announcement yet.

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird idea to make a mini of what was already a mini console. Odd too that the US version is absolutely gigantic.

Game line-up will be interesting, as they'll clearly need to put plenty of CD-ROM games on there. Rondo is a must for all territories, as it's easily the best PCE game ever made. As for the rest though, I guess Lords of Thunder and Gates of Thunder, then Sapphire, Soldier Blade, Star Soldier, Star Parodier, Parodius, Gradius 2, Twinbee, PC Genjin 1, 2, & 3... The system wasn't exactly deluged with top tier titles, and I say that as someone who used to own a large collection of PCE games.

Comment

To be honest, if it only had Soldier Blade, Rondo and R-Type (1&2) on it I’d give them my money.

Some titles I don’t think have been mentioned yet that are immense -

Spriggan. In my opinion the best vertical CD based shmup on the system. (Soldier Blade on HuCard)

Nexzr

Magical Chase

Bomberman ‘94

Bakushou Yoshimoto No Shinkegeki

Man, if I wasn’t heading to bed I’d just keep listing! My most beloved system ever, my favourite library ever, my favourite gaming memories ever.

Comment

If there isn't a single Valis game i'll eat my balls, then still buy one anyway.

Comment

Given Konami are making it, it be nice if they put Snatcher on it

Comment

In addition to what's already been mentioned, it has arguably the best version of Salamander which fixes all the annoying bugs from the coin-op (stage 4 boss etc) and adds Gradius-style checkpoints (but not Gradius-style power-ups).

I also like Adventure Island a lot (PC Engine port of SMS Dragon's Trap) and New Adventure Island (which is a sequel to the NES Wonderboy-style Adventure Islands games).

Comment

I really enjoyed the NES Adventure Island games years ago.

Comment

Its a fun one but brutally hard as you get to the last levels, remember game centre cx doing it. The ending is not easy to get to, even Arino's helpers had a tough time.

Comment

This is great news. The coolest console ever is being celebrated with a mini version.

I hope Bloody Wolf, Air Zonk, Valkyrie no Densetsu, and Devil Crash are on it.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-06-2019, 18:59.

Comment

Devil Crash has got to be on it. We can likely count out SFII’ due to the lack of a 6B pad though. I quite like how the Japanese version doesn’t have rapid fire on the controller.

I reckon they they might even go up to 50 titles included. Just to get one over on Nintendo and Sega.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post

I reckon they they might even go up to 50 titles included. Just to get one over on Nintendo and Sega.
                      I have a feeling that the amount of games might disappoint somewhat, Lots of PC Engine games were made by developers/publishers that haven't been around for years, so licensing might be difficult. But I really hope we do get around 50 classic games. There are plenty of good to great games covering all genres.

Comment

I can see there being a lot of trash on it personally. I get excited at these mini consoles, but never end up actually playing them. I spent an entire weekend locked away creating the perfect SFC hack, much to my woman’s chagrin. Then the most it ever got used was playing KiKi KaKai with the kid for a few weeks, and me explaining diagonal input to her unsuccessfully.

I don’t know why they don’t just bring them out with every title ever released included.

These things are are a definite nostalgia trip. This one though could really bomb given the fact that a HUGE amount of people have never even heard of a PC Engine. The talk of an official multi tap kinda gives away that Bomberman ‘94 will be on it. I could imagine that being huge fun, but marred by the fact that the controllers are not wireless.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Every title ever just increases the ****e to great ratio. I don't think it will bomb in any way, shape or form in Japan, but I think you could be right in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            Every title ever just increases the ****e to great ratio. I don't think it will bomb in any way, shape or form in Japan, but I think you could be right in the UK.
                            In Japan it should sell out like it’s going out of fashion. I was more referring to the European market. Outside of France and Spain to a lesser extent, the console was only for import mega nerds. PC Engine was and probably still is the coolest console ever. Everyone knew about Neo•Geo, just hardly anybody had one. It was my first foray into importing. Now, you had a few kids with import MD’s, and then SFC’s, but back then PC Engine was an exclusive right of passage to bragging rights. You couldn’t lend games to anybody, neither could you borrow them.

I’m not entirely sure how this is aimed at Europe, given that it’s the Core Grafx, which was never officially released here and all.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Personally i think they should have just stuck to japan, the thing managed to beat the famicom on its home turf even if it was just for a little while thats no mean feat at all. It's only going to be of interest to a very select market over here people in the 30 & over bracket that ether imported or read a lot of console import mags back in the day, however the games still hold up even now they are great to play. It might be able to win some new fans but it's gonna have to be advertised extremely well to pull it off over here in prime fifa chav country.

Konami is in a good position ip wise as they own pretty much all of hudson softs ips, all they need is probably taito and a couple of others on board to get the best games from the system put on there. Makes no difference in the end as it will end up getting hacked so whatevers missing is going on there as i have a complete romset waiting to pull games from and pretty much all the cd games i love. I find these mini consoles a lot more convinient to play than just putting the pc on which is why my fami & super fami get a lot of playtime even with all my other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                I have a complete romset waiting to pull games from
                                Sharing is caring bro. ROMs being difficult to obtain nowadays makes my MD Mini purchase less of an event.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X