This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Two of my faves, [MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION]!

Sorry you didn't enjoy them to the max, and I guess I know where you're coming from.

Halloween III has always been silly and the pace at which it moves after that first hour is ridiculous, but it's so much fun. That soundtrack really helps set the tone.
    I love the ending too!

It's funny that you describe The Raid as suffering "vastlyoverrateditis". Before it came out, if someone said it's an Indonesian film, directed by an unknown Welsh director with unknown actors in practically one location, nobody would have had high expectations for it!

Now, because people have seen it and loved it, it's unfairly tagged as overrated!
    It's not perfect and the fights can get a bit much, but it's one of the best thrill rides I've had at the cinema.

I deffo need to see it again at some point.
    You need to swallow the pill.

It's a pill. Metaphysically.

Life is an organic path.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      You need to swallow the pill.

It's a pill. Metaphysically.

Life is an organic path.
      *Checks the time of posting*

Comment

Hunter Killer
        Hoped for some cheesy usual Gerard Butler fun but this was too dry. There's a couple of okay moments but it's not a high pressure film and when that's the case with submarine based films it descends into Star Trek style falling about the set. A meh effort.

Comment

Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit

It's on Netflix or Prime in HD so I did my usual thing of watching it on Film4 in SD with adverts (everybody needs a hobby).

Preposterous tosh. Keira Knightley's US accent is garbage but Chuckles Branagh is suitably over the top as the Russian villain and Kevin Costner is just sort of there.

3 chuckles out of a guffaw.

Comment

[MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] Fast & Furious (Fast4) is probably my least favourite.

Comment

For me it's a toss up between 2 Fast 2 Furious and Fast 8 for the weakest in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] Fast & Furious (Fast4) is probably my least favourite.
                Same. It’s a bit dreary compared with the others. I think they were going for moody. Fast Five then just blows it away.

Comment

I do get a bit confused with them all, tbh. I've not seen the last one, but I think it's on Netflix. Not massively motivated to see it as I think they jumped the shark years ago. Imagine showing someone who'd never seen them the first then last film.

They'd be baffled how a bunch of people living in modest houses, spending their meager wages on their hobby of modifying cars and racing them and dabbling with some petty crime then they're this crack team of expert shots, drivers, martial artists and hackers, driving around in ultra-exclusive rare and expensive cars and saving the world.

The wife was flicking through the channels and declared "There's nothing on!" and she's right. You've got to Tivo anything in advance, so when you do sit down, you don't end up watching "My Gay Dog and Other Animals". I suggested she watch something on Netflix, which normally I watch or the kids, and then her situation flipped and she had too much to watch!

She spent five minutes trying to find something in the deluge of options - we've all been there!
                  She loves Poirot and the like, so I suggested she searches for "murder mystery".

The next day I asked if she'd found a murder mystery, but she didn't.

I turned on the Netflix and the very first suggestion was "Murder Mystery" starring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler!
                  "That wasn't there yesterday!"

Anyway, we watched that and it was silly, disposable, predictable tat, but there were a fair few laughs along the way and it's always nice to watch stuff together.

Comment

Not massively motivated to see it as I think they jumped the shark years ago.
                    Not sure that term is applicable here given that they probably jumped the shark somewhere around the outline stage for the first film. It is a franchise built on shark jumps.

Comment

Yeah, but the first one was Point Break with cars instead of surfing.

The last few have been like Kingsmen, but they don't know they're in a comedy.

Comment

Back when Lin was making them in a row he had a desire to drive them towards being increasingly CG free which I think helped the franchise massively. It meant that as unlikely as sequences were there had to be some level of reality involved as someone in real life would actually have to attempt it in some manner. The second he stepped down the CG levels ramped up and the suspension of belief began to become too much for what was going on. He's making Fast 9 but I'm doubtful he'll be able to pull that aspect back to where it was.

Comment

The safe in Fast Five was really impressive in that regard. I assumed they would have made it in CG but they made a huge prop on rollers and dragged it around the city.

Comment

They lost me at the one where Diesel Van drives under the rolling, exploding fuel tanker.

It just felt like he was driving in a straight line under a drawn-on peril. No tension at all.

Whereas in Tokyo Drift, I was genuinely concerned this guy might scuff his bumper:

Comment

*Checks the time of posting*
                              I was sitting there writing this big, boring post about how I kinda liked The Raid - especially as it was just a scrolling beat 'em up in movie form - but felt sad I didn't love it but every word in that post was boring to me, I kept deleting what I wrote because it was so dull.

And then I got a telepathic phone call from The Cosmic Realm and I just wrote what it said, instead.

TCR also said it reminded it of Ong Bak. A bit.

Comment

Tonight, I plan to watch the all-female Ghostbusters, btw. With all the hate it's received, I'm going in with very low expectations so *might* end up enjoying it.

*Might*.

Comment

Working...
                                X