Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fine, JF. We've said before it's okay to like different things.
    You've discovered some gems on the Horror Channel, but I've never watched it!

Curious to see what you and TCR think of Ghostbusters.
    I thought it was watchable, with a few laughs along the way.
    It didn't quite work, though and I disliked "Egon", but I thought it was fun.
    I saw it in 3D and it had this clever trick of bustin' out of the Widescreen black bars.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      The Equalizer

Comment

Just finished The Monuments Men of Film4.

Really enjoyed it. Great cast! Couple of laughs and a couple of heartstring pulls too.

In the past few years I've really come to like George Clooney in stuff. I'm looking forward to Catch 22 on Channel 4 tomorrow night.

Comment

Weeeeell. Watched the Ghostbusters remake/reboot, whatever you wanna call it. I didn't think it was bad. It just...went nowhere. In the end, it seemed to run out of budget, it gets more underwhelming in terms of grandiosity as it draws closer to the end. Which is strange as it follows the structure of the original quite closely. That ended quite epically, whereas this is more a whimper.

But it was OK. I liked how all the characters were new, not reinterpretations of the originals. I liked the 'Egon' character, as well. I'm in the vast minority here but she seems to be having so much fun in the role, like Vyvyan from 'The Young Ones' crossed with Napoleon Dynamite. I enjoyed 'Egon', I could've seen that character in 'Weird Science', proper 80s zany crazy Devo ish.

Chris Hemsworth was funny, too. I tittered quite a bit at some of the dumb shish he says, his superthick secretary says some amazingly amusing stooooopid stuff. Like when he says the restaurant is failing. That was class.

Overall, not bad. It could have been much worse but it offers some quality titters, a few good visual fx and is decent to watch until the last 20 minutes, where it starts to drag a tad.

It's nothing great, it lacks the glitz, pizazz and biblical doominess of the orig but this is by no means "THE WORST MOVIE EVAAAAAH". It was never gonna win, was it?

I just think it's truly, pitifully pathetic how AVGN made such a big issue over refusing to watch it. How sad.

Comment

I Am Legend

We watched the version with the alternate(original?) ending, then checked out the theatrical ending to compare(it doesn't).

It's funny how much they changed the theatrical ending because it doesn't fit the rest of the film at all. Neville's insistence that the vampires had lost all higher brain functions was never called into question even though it was wrong based on actual things that happened(head vampire coming into the light because Neville kidnapped his partner; setting the mannequin trap; attacking his house in an organised manner). He basically learned nothing.

The original ending is poignant but still filled with tension because he's in a room full of vampires!

Comment

Last night we watched Dinner For Schmucks last night.

Paul Rudd and Steve Carell. Really enjoyed it. Some big belly laughs throughout.

Then watched the last half an hour of About Time on Film4. Absolutely killed me. Floods of tears.

Currently watching Walk of Shame. It's pretty awful but I absolutely love Elizabeth Banks.

Comment

I watched American Psycho after having not seen it in years. I must admit the ambiguity bugs me because it doesn’t even really pose any smart questions but I still love the movie. It’s funny and weird and Bale is brilliant in it.

Comment

Watched The Purge earlier. Never seen it before, premise was decent, been curious about it for a bit but the '15' cert put me off. Anyway, I've long noticed good premises mean as much as pistachio shells in the grand scheme of making movies. This is the exemplar of that maxim.

This was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite .

It was like watching the last twenty minutes of The Descent transposed to a very massive suburban mansion akin to the Fresh Prince's residence. Except you couldn't see the interior of the house...or the action...because everything was lit by people holding weak torches on a primarily black background. Seriously couldn't tell who's face was who, most of the time. And then the Purgers enter, wearing similar-looking masks. Who was living? Who was dying? Do I care anymore???

Rubbish.

But a good premise. I would watch one of the sequels if they were better than this, are any good?

But this was ****ing ****. All of it. Might as well have worn a blindfold for 90mins and verrrrry strange characters behaving strangely and a bazillion flaws in the 'Purge' concept to begin with. It's just stupid duncery masquerading as some type of cleverness. It's deffo not clever. I just watched the movie.

Comment

Listening to Focus and getting an urge to turn myself into a 70s-style fistfighter.

That's what Carlsberg Export and cannabinoids does to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Watched The Purge earlier. Never seen it before, premise was decent, been curious about it for a bit but the '15' cert put me off. Anyway, I've long noticed good premises mean as much as pistachio shells in the grand scheme of making movies. This is the exemplar of that maxim.

This was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite .

It was like watching the last twenty minutes of The Descent transposed to a very massive suburban mansion akin to the Fresh Prince's residence. Except you couldn't see the interior of the house...or the action...because everything was lit by people holding weak torches on a primarily black background. Seriously couldn't tell who's face was who, most of the time. And then the Purgers enter, wearing similar-looking masks. Who was living? Who was dying? Do I care anymore???

Rubbish.

But a good premise. I would watch one of the sequels if they were better than this, are any good?

But this was ****ing ****. All of it. Might as well have worn a blindfold for 90mins and verrrrry strange characters behaving strangely and a bazillion flaws in the 'Purge' concept to begin with. It's just stupid duncery masquerading as some type of cleverness. It's deffo not clever. I just watched the movie.
                      I can’t promise you’ll like the sequel and I don’t think “clever” is a word I’d apply for to it so if that’s the requirement you might be better moving on. But what the sequel does is actually run with the premise. While I thought the first was okay for what it was, it was a basic home invasion movie and so, for me, it didn’t do a thing with the premise and I was disappointed. The sequel goes on a journey and at least delivers on the premise.

Comment

Watched two this evening.

Happytime Murders - Huge pile of meh with a side of meh and meh sauce.

Unfinished Business - Losers trying to beat the big man. Like Dodgeball but nowhere near as funny.

Comment

Ended up watching a film called 'Vacancy' tonight, from 2007. I liked the sound of the premise...*again*...anyhow, it involves a couple/their car breaking down on a 'short cut'/a remote, dingy motel where they make snuff movies and sell them on VHS. That *sounds* like a juicy - if grim - premise, dunnit????

In the end, it played out beiger than beige...and ironically ended up EXACTLY like a home invasion seige movie in inky blackness just like The Purge was, I seriously felt spooked by how similar the last 40mins played out...

...it was almost like I saw the same movie both nights!!!!! I was expecting this to be a Hostel Clone. Imagine my disappointment when the Cuban cigar I thought I'd be chomping on turned out to be a massive turd stenching of Purge.

****ing rubbish. But curiously brilliant graphic design on the pre-credits section. I'll give it that. Almost made me think this would be decent

Comment

Local cinema ran a Bill and Ted double bill today and I brought my family. None of them had seen them before. Excellent Adventure is consistently brilliant. It’s very funny, warm and everything just lands the right way. It’s a true classic. Bogus Journey is a very mixed bag and wanders for a while but it still has some great moments and comes together at the end. William Sadler as Death is fantastic and elevates every scene he’s in.

Given the decades that have passed, the films hold up mostly pretty well. Some homophobia of the day, which feels unfortunate now given the message of the movies, and women are reduced to babes for the most part and the effects are very ropey, most noticeable in the sequel because it is more ambitious. But the films have a positive feel that still seems relevant and the first one is really funny throughout.

It was great to get to see them in a cinema after all these years.

At home, I also watched Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla but mostly because I was going to watch Tokyo S.O.S. and felt I should watch the previous film because they are the only two in the Millennium run that are connected. It’s not a fantastic film at all, being honest. I’ve never been a huge fan of the Kiryu design mostly because it betrays the size of the suit and the story is pretty thin. So to make up for it, I also watched Giant Monsters All-Out Attack which is still my favourite Godzilla movie. It is brilliant and I love how nasty Godzilla is in it. Aside from the changes of allegiance, it has some stuff in common with the latest US film and there are visual elements that I’d say definitely inspired the film, more so than any other classic film. It’s a good Godzilla film.

Comment

When First We Met.

Big crossed with Groundhog Day.

Adam Devine (who I think is really funny), Alexandra Daddario & Shelly Hennig.

Just a nice, easy to watch rom-com for a Sunday evening with a few decent jokes.

Comment

@Dogg Thank, I was thinking about "fag!" and the babes thing the other day and I hope they make a reference in the new film about how they see women differently now they have daughters.

It doesn't reduce the quality of the films, but they stand out more these days.

I'm a bit jealous of you seeing them both at the cinema!

Comment

Working...
                                X