No announcement yet.

The Super Famicom is a great system for shooters - discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't like Axelay much, either. It doesn't have much of a life span. It took me just a couple of days to grow bored of it, and that was back when it was hot and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I don't see the point in going on about how much you don't like a game that's obviously popular and held in high regard by lots of people.
      The point is I don't like it, it's not complicated.

Comment

You've stated the same thing loads of times, but are you sure???

I don't see the point in going on about how much you don't like a game that's obviously popular and held in high regard by lots of people. It would be like someone moaning about how much they "Don't like anything about Metal Slug."

But of course -- there are people who don't like Mario World and call it "tosh." That would be an extreme, unusual point of view though.

I'm all for bashing terrible games, or games that simply have severe issues. But sometimes a popular game doesn't gel with me, so I will just accept it's not for me, despite being a good game. That's the case with R-Type III -- I appreciate it's a well made game and very popular, but I don't find it very fun. I would never act like it's a bad game though.
        i'd say mario world was pretty tosh...lol

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          I'd say it has a great atmos, there is some great music and a great 'neon future city' feel. I just feel the 3D bits curve too much like unravelling kitchen foil. It's a very strange effect. I do find the battle with the giant witch's hat, I find it quite atmospheric. But some of the weapons feel dull.
          I get where you're coming from, even if what you see as negatives don't bother me. You at least appreciate the finer points of the overall design.

I just couldn't respect an opinion that says the game is poor, simply because you can make a list of things that are good about the game. As you mention - there's some great music, nice background design, and bosses like the Witches Hat are impressive.

So as much as I can appreciate that any popular game cannot be someone's 'cup of tea' -- I don't think they should always jump in and bash a popular game like it's terrible. You have to be able to point out what's genuinely bad about a game.

I've played loads of truly bad and terrible shoot 'em ups over the years, so I know what quality is all about. Sometimes a popular shooter doesn't gel with me, but I'd never slate it. No, just because a game doesn't grab me, doesn't mean it's bad.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          The point is I don't like it, it's not complicated.
          But you seem to get too much of a kick out of acting like it's a rubbish game. That's the obvious, not complicated truth.

You always take the opportunity to put your 2 cents in when it comes to Axelay. Seems like strange behaviour to me, so there probably is some complexity behind your conduct.

I don't care if someone doesn't rate Axelay very highly, but just acting like it's rubbish without clear reasoning seems very negative. It's like you're trying to wind people up. I think that's what makes things "complicated", because a fair appraisal of the game would seem much more positive than merely acting like there's no reason(s) why so many people are fond of Axelay.

There are plenty of good games that I don't like, but I don't rain on people's parade by unfairly slating popular games that lots of people are enthused about. It's seems like 'baiting' to merely say something popular is "horrible" without a degree of rational explanation.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-08-2019, 13:28.

Comment

Comment

This looks very much like a PCE shooter, so you have quite a lot going on at a reasonable speed. Looks even better on a CRT.

Comment

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again and again. Axelay isn’t a great game*. I know I’m in a minority here (other than @CMcK) but I like nothing about it and find it horrible to play.

SFC Parodius games though, huge amount of love for them.

*For me personally, before anyone gets all nerd ragey.
                After not being able to afford it when I was younger, I got it on the Wii VC. I have to agree. I wanted to like it but it just wasn't as fun as Cybernator.

Comment

I always knowingly take the bait. I've got your number.

Doesn't mean that I won't add actual food for thought to conversation/debate. Merely pissing on people's parade and thoughtful converse, isn't my style.

But it's obviously your style. Must make you feel good -- seeing you do it time and time again.

I don't rate Soldier Blade as highly as some, but I would never act all ignorant and say it's a horrible piece of trash. Not even if I didn't like someone who loved the game. I'm not a spiteful, troll sort of person.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-08-2019, 13:46.

Comment

I'm not a massive shooter fan but have a few i go to for quick blast now and again.

Pop n Twinbee, Gradius 3, and Axelay it may not not perfect but certainly a visual and audio treat. cant think of any other snes shooter that uses the mode7 effect to such a high standard.

have just got a SD2Snes Pro, i'll defo have to check out this SA1 enhanced version of Graduis 3

Comment

I always knowingly take the bait. I've got your number.

Doesn't mean that I won't add actual food for thought to conversation/debate. Merely pissing on people's parade and thoughtful converse, isn't my style.

But it's obviously your style. Must make you feel good -- seeing you do it time and time again.

I don't rate Soldier Blade as highly as some, but I would never act all ignorant and say it's a horrible piece of trash. Not even if I didn't like someone who loved the game. I'm not a spiteful, troll sort of person.
                      Clip art.

Comment

I never 'got' Axelay when it was originally released, but over time I grew to appreciate it. It's now probably my favourite shooter ever.

That's not to say it's especially deep as many other games out there (though the Round Vulcan weapon shouldn't be underestimated when it comes to opening up gameplay opportunities). But I can't think of any other shooter that tries to put a smile on your face as often as Axelay does. Not only does it cover so much ground having vertical and horizontal play styles, it's a succession of 30-second 'wow' moments, all chained together, you're breathless by the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                          It's now probably my favourite shooter ever.
                          Crikey, that's some claim. I like it, for a SNES shooter, but stick it next to ESP Ra De or Ketsui and it pales in comparison.

Comment

I don't like Axeley.

Just my tuppence. Area 88 is better.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              Crikey, that's some claim. I like it, for a SNES shooter, but stick it next to ESP Ra De or Ketsui and it pales in comparison.
                              Like I said, it has little to no gameplay depth when compared to Ketsui or other pattern shooters – games I very much enjoy by the way. But for what Axelay is (a console shooter) and the era it's from, yeah... I can't think of a better experience.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              I don't like Axeley.

Just my tuppence. Area 88 is better.
                              I hate Area 88, it's rubbish.

Comment

I’ve always had great love for Axelay, while clunky to control (especially in those vertical sections) the game just screams 90s Konami quality. I even tracked down the soundtrack on CD, it’s quite possibly one of the best game soundtracks ever. I wish I could get into Area 88 but it always reminds me of the shoddy US Gold port on the Atari ST that I used to have. It left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X