Retro|Spective 087: World Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 087: World Heroes

In a blatant misuse of time travel by Doc Brown, a fighting contest is arranged for the...

Mainline Entry 01 - World Heroes
    Formats:
    Arcade, Neo Geo, SNES, Mega Drive and Others
    Eight fighters drawn from across time face off in a tournament. Two modes are available, Normal and Death Match, played using a three button combat system. The game was an early success story for SNK and was one of the early titles to make gamers sit up and pay attention to what the developer was doing.

Mainline Entry 02 - World Heroes 2
    Formats:
    Arcade, Neo Geo, SNES, PC Engine and Others
    The very next year SNK threw out a direct sequel to capitalise on their success. The game plays largely the same as the original but this time an additional six fighters made the cut. Though more a refinement and expansion in the same way Capcom would capitalise on, the game was again well received and received numerous ports.

Spin Off Entry 01 - World Heroes 2 Jet
    Formats:
    Neo Geo, Game Boy and Playstation 2
    Another year later saw a rework of the second game released. Three more characters were added to the roster with the Jet in the title working as a signifier of the enhanced speed much like the Turbo in Street Fighters title.

Spin Off Entry 02 - World Heroes Perfect
    Formats:
    Neo Geo, Saturn and Playstation
    The final game in the series changed the button system to a more traditional four button system in addition to more fighters, modified moves and special abilities. The game was limited in impact less through it's quality and more due to the fact that it was in some ways a Super variant to the second game when that Capcom trick was hard to sell without Street Fighters level of high profile. It left World Heroes lagging behind the advancements seen in other fighters and with a new focus on KOF added to the slate SNK moved on.

Share your thoughts and memories of World Heroes

I remember liking the first game in the series but thinking it all felt a bit basic. Then the second game really blew me away with its big, bold sprites and detailed backgrounds. I've played WH2 quite a bit, as it's one of few AES games that I own, and I always enjoy going back to it. I like how it has its own distinct art style and overall feel.

Comment

One of the only SNK fighter properties of which I have zero experience, bar it getting poor reviews from Sega Saturn Magazine.

Comment

I got WH2 Jet in a bundle and thought nothing of it, but having given it a chance it's great fun, easy to play and not stiff at all.

Comment

Clue for 088 - Enjoy Revolution

Comment

World Heroes was mediocre.

World Heroes 2 is the premier game in the franchise by light years, and a Neo•Geo classic.

World Heroes 2 Jet and World Heroes Perfect are where the franchise officially jumped the shark.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              A Dance Dance Revolution?

Comment

Nope! Christ, I'd hate to list all those

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Red Faction? I don't even know what those games are about. I just thought of Coke which sent me to red and maybe they feature a revolution. They are set on Mars which reminds me of Total Recall so maybe...?

Comment

I love this series. The dopey characters and the death matches make it memorable.

Comment

Working...
                    X