Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough if others actually use them like that. To me it looked good conceptually but I questioned how often that was actually used. Question answered I guess. It’s not all about what I want!

Comment

I've used them as two little controllers loooooads!

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      dock in the box

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Fair enough if others actually use them like that. To me it looked good conceptually but I questioned how often that was actually used. Question answered I guess. It’s not all about what I want!
        I mostly use my Switch at rooftop parties per the initial promotional video, I thought everyone did to be honest.

Comment

The biggest thing Nintendo can do with the Switch is to pay very close attention to the WiiU. That the Switch has performed well absolutely in no way suggests audiences will carry over to the Switch 2 when it arrives just as their entire market collapsed moving from the Wii to the WiiU.

Whilst criticism of the WiiU's design and marketing is correct, that collapse had already set in with the Wii. Nintendo is legendarily lazy at times and they became so complacent with the Wii and is sales tailed off before they should have. It also depends on two other factors:

1-Who you're selling to. The Wii was huge with casual audiences, the type who are still picking up Just Dance two generations later etc but mostly the type you played it then shelved it and gaming completely after a short run. Sony proves that there's immense value in building a strong userbase that follows you between generations.

2-Software. Nintendo may sell say 11m of Mario Game X but they'll sit there all gen treating it as an evergreen title. It works in some instances but in the meantime other companies are selling say 6m but releasing a sequel after 2-3 years that may sell another 6+ then a third before the gens out. Sure they spent more on development and marketing as a result but they also fostered the franchise and its audience.

"Oh but the long success of Mario etc shows it's the right approach!". The WiiU will forever exist as evidence that 'evergreening' doesn't sell systems. The WiiU was largely saved from being a permanent stain on Nintendo not because of the Switch but instead the 3DS. It didn't do as well as its predecessor either but the vacuum Nintendo would have endured without it is the bottomless pit they face if the Switch 2 fails now that there's no sideline to their business anymore.

Nintendo gets around this with hardware gimmicks. Rolling the dice every generation in the hope that a new idea for the hardware will win over the public. Get it remotely wrong though and it's all too easy for even common buyers to look and think "well, it'll be 3-4 years till it has the games I want and I'll be able to pick one up cheap by then"

It's a poor approach really, hoping to land the launch in a way that companies hope to do once in their lifetime not just every 5 years.

I think we have the answer to our question over why people would want Nintendo to marry their approach to that of the other consoles too, they've done it before and the results were the NES and SNES - and they were glorious.

Nintendo have suffered three set back trying to take on Sony and to a lesser extent Microsoft directly:

1 - The Nintendo 64: Hype for this was unreal, it was more powerful than Sony's new comer system and it had revolutionary new incarnations of the systems first party biggest releases along with fan pleasing smaller output like Waverace etc. Rivalling Sony was what crippled Sega, not Nintendo. Being complete and utter morons by taking the hump and not using CD storage crippled the system and made it far too easy for gamers and games makers to jump ship.

2 - The Gamecube: They came in with a high powered system with a great launch line up at a still utterly unbelievable price. It worked for a moment too... but they made the exact same mistake again choosing their tiny mini-discs etc like idiots.The response is the uber budget effort Wii rather than deal with any of the complaints people had.

3 - They ripped everyone off: It feels like a footnote how the company is still barred from setting its own rrps in the EU and how horrific they were with publishers and developers during their 8/16 bit era peaks. They made it so everyone wanted a new contender to topple them off their throne.

There's absolutely no reason why Nintendo isn't currently in Sony's position right now. They've had several opportunities and there's no reason to think it need be a bad thing. People often say why should Nintendo be more like Sony but if they were they'd still be more distinct from the Playstation than MS has every been with its consoles.

Within this generation hopefully Switch can top 85m units sold as that will mean Nintendo has grown its audience for the first time in 2 generations, anything short and they've simply combined dwindling audiences.

So yep, Nintendo are still possibly the most at risk company of the big three.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I've used them as two little controllers loooooads!
            Me too. Not originally, but more recently as my eldest daughter started wanting to play Mariokart with me. Was really handy when we went away a few weeks ago and we've been playing it since we got back. It's handy to just take half a Joycon each and play directly on the Switch while the telly's tied up with Peppa or whatever for the little one.

The stand thing is absolute ****e though. I usually have to use something to prop it up.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
              The stand thing is absolute ****e though. I usually have to use something to prop it up.
              Oh man, it totally stresses me out when you have to delicately balance hundreds of pounds of advanced technology on a tiny, flimsy stand!

Comment

Instrument DLC for Korg Gadget on Switch coming 11th July featuring 2 retro video game sound banks. This image looks so good...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Ughhh, that would have been so lame though. I really don't get the 'Nintendo should have made a PSBox' argument. Honestly, it would have been the death of them.
                  Sorry, I’ll never agree with this and there is quite frankly no way of knowing that Nintendo making a “traditional” console would’ve “been the death of them”, not when it has been literally eons since they’ve bloody made a genuine effort to make one properly.

Hell, Nintendo STILL can’t get basics like proper online integration and digital delivery right, long after their rivals have made it commonplace in the industry. IMHO, Nintendo could easily be competitive with a genuine effort to make a traditional console that had PS4/XB1 power and proper online which would allow them to cater for everybody while still showing off their finest in-house development.

Comment

Nintendo have nothing to gain from a PS4/XB1 style console, there are already 2 of those on the market. What would be the point of a third that was exactly the same? The Switch is only something a company that is not obsessed with pushing more graphic fidelity could create. I look at all those fancy graphics and they do nothing for me. Good graphics do not make a good game.

Show me Mario maker or BOTW 2 and damn son I am happy with my lot.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Oh man, it totally stresses me out when you have to delicately balance hundreds of pounds of advanced technology on a tiny, flimsy stand!
                      what are you two doing with your docks? their pretty solid with the switch in and pretty heavy too I've had zero issues with it falling over and that's with two kittens and lots of small children in the house too

Comment

Nintendo tried the PSBox route with GameCube and it didn't work. Hardware innovation got them back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          what are you two doing with your docks? their pretty solid with the switch in and pretty heavy too I've had zero issues with it falling over and that's with two kittens and lots of small children in the house too [emoji38]
                          I think they mean the Switch kickstand not the dock.

Comment

As posted above, the Gamecube was a poor attempt at tackling XB/PS crippled from the outset by a company that wasn't serious about its competition. It could have easily blocked Microsoft from even entering the gaming market if it had been handled better. Hardware innovation didn't get them back on track either, it got them a one hit wonder that collapsed beneath them the second a hardware transition was required. The Switch is at no less a risk. Nintendo enters every generation like a newcomer to the risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's a poor strategy based on high risk that doesn't properly foster its userbase. A more traditional system wouldn't stop innovation at all but would plug the deficiencies Nintendo platforms have suffered since the SNES era. There'd still be two consoles as well as MS would likely be the ones to suffer as a result, likely permanently blocked from a foothold on traditional platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              As posted above, the Gamecube was a poor attempt at tackling XB/PS crippled from the outset by a company that wasn't serious about its competition. It could have easily blocked Microsoft from even entering the gaming market if it had been handled better. Hardware innovation didn't get them back on track either, it got them a one hit wonder that collapsed beneath them the second a hardware transition was required. The Switch is at no less a risk. Nintendo enters every generation like a newcomer to the risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's a poor strategy based on high risk that doesn't properly foster its userbase. A more traditional system wouldn't stop innovation at all but would plug the deficiencies Nintendo platforms have suffered since the SNES era. There'd still be two consoles as well as MS would likely be the ones to suffer as a result, likely permanently blocked from a foothold on traditional platforms.
                              the switch is outselling the ps4 in japan and recently passed it in lifetime sales despite the ps4 having a number of years head start on it, so i doubt we will see a standard system from Nintendo anytime soon.

The latest figures from Famitsu reveal that Nintendo Switch has now surpassed PS4 in Japan.The data firm says that 8.13…

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                                what are you two doing with your docks? their pretty solid with the switch in and pretty heavy too I've had zero issues with it falling over and that's with two kittens and lots of small children in the house too
                                Originally posted by wargame View Post
                                I think they mean the Switch kickstand not the dock.

Yes, the built-in stand at the back is what we're on about.

Sent from the computer using a keyboard

Comment

Working...
                                X