The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    She won't even talk about the film and I still can't get a clear answer on why it irritated her so badly

There's a few fronts some less grating than others and I've noticed bits mentioned on other sites too that add to my puzzlement but basically:

The MCU timeline has it that Homecoming takes place in late 2016, just a couple of months after Stark and Peter first meet in Civil War. Infinity War takes place about 8 months later and that's when Peter dies. 5 years pass where Tony thinks that's it until Cap etc turn up at his door and persuade him to work on time travel to try and undo the snap. The whole plan moves quickly over the course of Endgames run time and against the odds, in those one or two days worth of events, Stark thinks 'this plan might work' and so we're led to believe effectively left something for Peter as though it were in his will - An entire spacial satellite installations worth of high tech military grade camouflage deadly drones... for a sixteen year old he's known intermittently for less than a year, has very questionable judgement regardless of his intent and has been dead for years - their reunion being no more than a few minutes before Tony himself died.

This isn't just a weapon of death being left for a teenager, it's a choice that tells us several things about Stark. The first is that he clearly has no understanding of Peter, nothing has indicated Parker is predisposed to want to kill enemies, also that the last act Tony does - the man who in the first MCU movie had an entire arc about learning about misuse of his weapons, the wrong in making them and swearing not to make them anymore - creates a literal death weapon and gives it to a child.

Now Tony, as stuff like Ultron showed, isn't a great judge of character but even Pepper and Happy sign off on this plan. Really it's once again undoing Tony's development and send off, putting him back in the prick area.

Others might be clearer on this but I'm unsure why Mysterio needed the drones too. He uses them and the hologram tech to create a huge monster that damages London but before Peter gives him the drone access he's doing exactly that plan without them anyway, he wants a bit of revenge on Tony but it feels pretty unnecessary to accomplishing his goal.

He sets Peter up at the end too, revealing his identity and making him look a villain. However Peter has the remaining Avengers, Nick Fury, Pepper, Happy etc all on his camp so is it going to be that hard to prove Peter's been framed?

There genuinely may be something that makes the motivations and events click cohesively that I've missed, none of this takes away the humour and fun of the set pieces etc but narratively looking back it currently feels like a bit of an 'up yours' to Stark and Peter.

Side note - When the film opens it has a comedy scene showing how people reappeared after 5 years where they had disappeared as shown by the band players appearing mid-basketball game. Brushing over the dark of that scenario there - given the millions who vanished mid-flight, drive, train etc who will therefore have reappeared only to die brutally instantly

Or that in the space of 5 years buildings may have been built where people vanished, so when they return they become one with the structure like Brundle-fly.

Comment

Tony Stark is a knob. This is very well established now and it pretty much covers most things in the spoilers there.

It is a bit tired though and it bugs me that they don’t seem to fully realise how much of a knob they made him. Like in this one, Happy admits Tony was a mess as if that’s some kind of revelation (I guess it is for Peter but not for us) in the same movie that, yet again, the bad guy was someone Tony pissed off. And that didn’t even get acknowledged really. It just was so normal at this point that it’s not even worth a nod. So yeah, tired and I hope now they can move on but him doing stupid things that logic can’t account for is totally consistent at this point. Unfortunately.

Comment

Hopefully, the third Spider-Man film will avoid mentioning Iron Man at all, he overshadows these films far too much

Comment

Taika Waititi has signed on to write and direct a follow-up to 'Thor: Ragnarok.' Meanwhile, development concerns have forced Warner Bros. to push back 'Akira.'

Word is that Warner Bros Akira film is to be delayed due to development concerns and as a result Taika Waititi will ramp up and return to helm Thor 4

Comment

I'm going to go see Spidey: FFH again tomorrow.

I only ever saw the Avengers films once at the movies!!!

Comment

I didn't even consider the flying people etc! That's pretty messed up, Supes!

I thought everyone would come back through portals.

There is a lot of stories to be told about everyone who re-married etc. Would make a good TV show though apparantly that's the premise of HBO's Leftovers.

Comment

Watched Spidey: FFH again today. Was even better than the first time.

Just a great, fun film to watch.

Comment

EXCLU: Clark Gregg & Ming-Na Wen-led ABC series was the superhero giant's 1st venture into live action TV but it's coming to an end.

Agents of Shield: Season 07
                  will be the shows final season though currently it looks like it's still been cut from the MCU canon

Comment

Hawkeye is getting a Disney Plus series

Disney have also announced some of the Phase 4 slate:

01 May 2020 - Black Widow
                    06 November 2020 - The Eternals
                    12 February 2021 - Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
                    02 May 2021 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
                    05 November 2021 - Thor: Love and Thunder
                    Release TBA - Blade
                    Release TBA - Black Panther 2
                    Release TBA - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3
                    Release TBA - Captain Marvel 2
                    Release TBA - Fantastic Four
                    Release TBA - Mutants

For the 4th Thor Natalie Portman returns and will play Female Thor. More announcements will be at this years D23 show and the above slate is intended to largely only reveal projects that will release into 2022 at the latest so isn't Phase 4 in full.

Comment

Blade is quite the surprise. Wonder if it will have blood and swares?

Comment

Currently it's the lack of Deadpool I'm finding curious though these reveals may be main MCU specific which could explain the absence, it'd make Blade being 12 friendly likely too

Comment

Also revealed:

Mahershala Ali will play Blade

The Mandarin (the real one) will be in Shang Chi

Comment

Played by the legendary Tony Leung Chiu-wai!! Very happy with this casting.

Comment

Also revealed:

Mahershala Ali will play Blade

Wonder if they'll reference the fake one?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                Wonder if they'll reference the fake one?
                                Yeah, maybe they'll just gloss over it. The terrorist organisation in Iron Man was even called "The Ten Rings" - in fact, the actor who played Stark's kidnapper apparently believed he would get a callback to play The Mandarin in a sequel, and expressed dismay when Iron Man 3 came out.

Comment

Working...
                                X