Retro|Spective 098: Virtua Cop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 098: Virtua Cop

Surprise creeps! Dead or alive you're coming with us...

Mainline Entry 01 - Virtua Cop
    Formats:
    Arcade, PC, Saturn, Playstation 2
    Another Yu Suzuki gift to gamers, Virtua Cop took the lightgun game and applied System 2 3D visuals, placing you in the role of either Michael Hardy or James Cools. Shooting enemies and avoiding citizens, you worked your way through each stage in what would become a precursor to other popular lightgun series such as The House of the Dead and Time Crisis. The game broadly received positive reviews, ultimately limited by how it was part of an aging genre.

Mainline Entry 02 - Virtua Cop 2
    Formats:
    Arcade, PC, Saturn, Playstation 2, Dreamcast
    The sequel improved the visual quality and added selectable alternate routes. Adding a third character, Janet Marshall, the game was largely an exercise in refinement but none the less a successful one becoming a stablemate in arcades for many years until slowly rival series took its place.

Mainline Entry 03 - Virtua Cop 3
    Formats:
    Arcade
    An attempt was made to bring this to Xbox but it remains an arcade exclusive, itself now 16 years old. The third game took a while to arrive but featured strong visuals even if the blue skies art style was now gone. This time the key gameplay change was a bullet time function, topped up by shooting enemies. Players could also use different guns, toggled by a button press. The third entry never achieved the same level of success as its predecessor and so it remains that this is the final entry, waiting to see if Sega ever makes a late revival as they have with other series like Daytona and House of the Dead.

Share your thoughts and memories of Virtua Cop

go to the 5 min mark

Comment

i just rebought 1&2 for the saturn

just need to pick up the light gun now...

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Brilliant, man do I remember that! Didn't he come back for another go in a later series and do it????

On the subject of the series I have very fond memories of the original Virtua Cop, I remember spending a whole afternoon at Chessington World of adventure pumping 50 pence pieces into a machine in a small arcade there, whilst all my mates went on the rides.

I also picked it up a US copy with the "Stunner" via Raven games at launch set me back £79.99 but worth every penny. I would play for hours and hours, challenging myself to get futher without taking a hit, I got pretty good but the boses always got me.

I fell in love with the forst game and the second was better in every aspect. I think it was probably the atmosphere and the fact it was from Sega that did it for me, at the time they ruled the arcade for me tight controls and the the gun was very accurate. I recentley played through it on the Dreamcast but I have to say I'm not as good as I was.
        Last edited by dyer60; 04-07-2019, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post

I also picked it up a US copy with the "Stunner" via Raven games .
          I used to live two streets up from Raven

I love Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2, not so much. My grail cab is still a Japanese VC. I have Rebirth on the PS2 which is fun, but seems to lack on something from the original. Shame I always found the aim wonky on the M2 emulator as that looks great upscaled.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I remember thinking Virtua Cop on the Saturn was stunning. Then the sequel also really impressed me with how clear and vibrant the graphics were. They both played really well with the Saturn gun.

Comment

Clue for 099 - Elvis and the Interstellar War

Comment

I'll be honest, Virtua Cop never did it for me.

Time Crisis FTW.

Comment

I came home from school one day and my granddad had randomly bought me Virtua Cop with the gun. £60. I was well made up. Had it on the big telly and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Clue for 099 - Elvis and the Interstellar War
                    King of The Monsters?

Comment

Virtua Cop 1&2 are superb. Both have that great 90s arcade vibe and play for high scores feel. Getting a string of justice shots is a great feeling and really lets you rack up the points. I’d really like try VC3 sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        King of The Monsters?
                        Perfect Dark, obviously.

Comment

I couldn't steel your moment with this one Dave

Comment

Liked all the VC games (VC III looked incredible at the time in the Arcades) but the 1st will always be my fav. I just loved the incredible music, how the game had that Reservoir dogs look to it and more so, how it was the 1st gun game I remember, where players animation was dependant on where you hit them and also the game rewarded you for being a good shot.

It also marks the best Christmas gaming I ever had. Christmas 95 with X-Men COTA, VC, Sega Rally, VF II on the Saturn was simply incredible

Comment

The thing about Virtua Cop for me was that it just looked so bland. I really enjoyed it every time I played it but I was so rarely drawn to it just because it didn’t have much of a visual hook. That’s where House of the Dead hugely succeeded for me, by comparison. Early signs that what I was starting to want from games was less about gameplay and more about experience and roleplay and escapism.

Comment

Working...
                              X