No announcement yet.

Disney Animation: Live Action Adaptations Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no idea there was a mulan film coming. Disney are really burning through their properties.

Comment

We’ll hit the dregs eventually. Prepare for live action Oliver and Company. Flip side is that we might get a very cool retelling of The Black Cauldron.

Comment

Disney’s CG animated remake of their 1994 traditionally animated classic “The Lion King” premiered last night in Los Angeles and while reviews are still under embargo, the first social media reactions have now gone online. The film scores high praise for its visuals which are often labelled groundbreaking, while the cast is widely praised – […]

First reactions are coming in for The Lion King

Comment

There is a clip going around of the Hakuna Matata song and my big reaction is... why?! It doesn't work for me at all. There is a total disconnect between the photorealistic CG animals and jaunty ditty. Like someone took footage from one movie and overlayed a song that doesn't fit. And I guess when people question why they would remove songs from Mulan, this is the answer right here. The original movies worked as animated films. That's what they are. When you go in and change some elements, it means there is a very good likelihood that other elements won't work and possibly the only element needed to throw everything out of whack is: they're not cartoons.

So The Lion King clip really amplifies my question - why would anyone want to see the exact same movie in what looks like live action rather than watching the original film?

Edit: Direct comparison video: https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/stat...08647676522497

My point in linking that is not to say one is clearly better (I obviously prefer the 2D one and it's so full of life) but to show the disconnect. How the song is embraced in one and feels like a problem in the other. Whereas there is no doubt the realistic animals look cool but feels like the movie needed to change more to fit with that. Just personal opinion of course.
          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 11-07-2019, 10:31.

Comment

I think it's something that has dogged this film from the outset. Jungle Book stretched the idea of being a live action remake a lot but Lion King breaks it, it's literally an animated film and once you reach that position the question is - does photo-realistic CG add anything to the experience? If you're going to remake the film in CG is the choice of visuals because it brings something the original doesn't have or is it just a default choice to make the film appear in line with the other live action releases and with this it's always felt like the latter. The justification is likely how well received Jungle Book was but in that film the decision made more sense because a live boy had to co-exist on screen with them, not so here.

My eye is literally only on this version because it's The Lion King. Nothing about it looks as good as the original, even the other day they released the Beyoncé track and it sounds out of place with the soundtrack (typical of these films) and pales next to the existing material. I kind of don't doubt this won't technically be a well made film but I suspect it's going to feel like one of the most unnecessary and lifeless one's they've done.

Comment

Are you going to see it, SF? I haven't seen Aladdin but feel that I 'should' for some reason!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Edit: Direct comparison video: https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/stat...08647676522497

My point in linking that is not to say one is clearly better (I obviously prefer the 2D one and it's so full of life) but to show the disconnect.
                Then I'll say it, the 2D clearly is.

The 3D one is an enormous technical achievement sitting on top of a fundamentally flawed idea. That clip is just awful.

Comment

The problem with hyper real cgi, in this film, is that having a realistic Lion singing the song greatly restricts the facial expressions of the character. The 2D character has emotion and flexibility in his mannerisms that simply can't be performed in a hyper real CGI character without it looking freekish. As such they have had to make changes to the scene to avoid this. For example, not having him caught in a Vine and falling in water. Because no one wants to see a realistic Lion swinging on a Vine.
                  Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 11-07-2019, 14:29.

Comment

I mulled seeing it at the cinema but atm it looks unlikely

Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny on the plains of Africa. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub's arrival. Scar, Mufasa's brother -- and former heir to the throne -- has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is soon ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba's exile. Now, with help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba must figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.

RT score is at 57% and falling surprisingly

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      I mulled seeing it at the cinema but atm it looks unlikely

Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny on the plains of Africa. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub's arrival. Scar, Mufasa's brother -- and former heir to the throne -- has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is soon ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba's exile. Now, with help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba must figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.

RT score is at 57% and falling surprisingly
                      Wow, some of the reviews are savage.

Comment

Oscar-winner Javier Bardem is in talks to join the live-action remake of “The Little Mermaid” at Walt Disney Pictures. Bardem is reportedly circling the role of King Triton, the father of Ariel (Halle Bailey) in the Rob Marshall directed film which boasts a script by David Magee based on a draft by Jane Goldman. Bardem’s […]

Hot on the heels of the news that 1D's Harry Styles might be cast as Prince Eric, comes the latest that Javier Bardem is being eyed to play King Triton in The Little Mermaid

Comment

Disney Pictures believes enough in the photorealism of their new CG animated “The Lion King” adaptation that the film’s director Jon Favreau was able to include one real live-action shot mixed somewhere in the film to prove it’s indistinguishable from the rest of it. The filmmaker has now finally revealed what that shot is, and […]

Jon Favreau has confirmed that The Lion King contains one live action shot

Comment

The first images of Lady and the Tramp have been released and unlike Lion King they used animals! Obvious considering this is for Disney+ but at least the live action moniker is earned.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              The first images of Lady and the Tramp have been released and unlike Lion King they used animals! Obvious considering this is for Disney+ but at least the live action moniker is earned.
                              I assume they're going to try and use a similar production method to the Dalmatians live-action movies. Those made serious bank.

Comment

I must admit I’m really quite intrigued to see how The Little Mermaid turns out from a technical standpoint, the CGI should hopefully be mind blowing.

Comment

Working...
                                X