This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
    Take a peek at this review. Its actually a really good insight to the pros and cons of OOT (not just its the best game ever!!! etc)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o908SWJ8ulc
    I have only watched some of that so far but one thing it highlights is how great the 3DS version looks. They really put a lot of polish into that conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I think I may have fallen out of love with Ocarina of Time and now the universe doesn’t make sense any more.
      I think it has aged really poorly, if I'm honest. I had a go of the 3DS version but jumped-off quickly once I started to feel that.

When it came out, so much of the game was something we were experiencing in 3D for the first time, and it felt really special. The cutscenes felt really cinematic with their real-time presentation (Metal Gear Solid would only appear around the same time) the locations were expansive and enormous... Even specific things, like jumping over the chasm to get to the Gerudo area or parting the waterfall to see the Zora. These were fantastic things that were a realisation of what it would be like to go on a fantasy adventure in a storybook.

Thing is, so much of what made it special has now become the norm. It's still incredibly well-executed, but so many games do big locations, exciting worlds, interesting set-pieces... But it doesn't change that OoT was the first game I ever played where I really felt like I was going on an adventure (the 2D games never felt that way to me, because 2D just doesn't do "expansive" in that way IMO).

In my memory it's perfect, and I'm never going back to it. It's Christmas morning 1998, and it'll happily stay there.

Comment

I made the same decision with OOT. Not because it had aged ... but playing the 3DS ver I got to Zora's Domain and I could feel my memories of the game being rewritten.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Bit cliche but I'm playing through FF7. It's the first time I've played it as a 'grown up'. I think i must have been about 17 the last time I played it.
          This time round there are a lot more themes and scenes that are carrying more weight now I understand it better. And it's a really balanced game. Its been said many times but it is a masterpiece.
          Yep, I'm currently playing through on my vita. Been rocking Vincent and I don't know if I ever noticed or saw the first time around one of his limit breaks is straight out of Splatterhouse, I literally lol'd when I saw it.

I'm just into disc 2 and will be going on to the Chocobo breeding quest soon. Cannot wait for the Knights of the Round. So good.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            Yeah it’s a great game, one of my faves of this gen.
            There is definitely nately a knack to combat and creating a load out that best suits you. I think it took me a while to twig that the meter at the top was whether you could cut and enemy or not and that you would always get the piece of armor for the piece you cut. It probably told me that but I didn’t pay attention.
            There's a meter? Damn I'll need to have a look now. DOH!

Comment

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
              Korg Gadget (Nintendo Switch)
              Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo Switch)
              Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Nintendo Gamecube)
              PES2019 (PS4)

Comment

Marvel LEGO Avengers.

Fired this up with my son as he wanted to play something with me, but every time, I've had to drop out.
                Credit to the LEGO series, that feature has always been seamless and much-needed!

He likes to play the story ASAP, but I know you needs to collect studs to buy the red bricks that speed up getting all the characters.
                It's pretty counter-intuitive at times. We were at a party and needed Iron Man, but only had Tony Stark. I had to look up that you can change into his armour at any time - something you couldn't do in previous games.

Still, it's frustrating we've been unable to play a whole mission together because of life getting in the way, but he's really improved as a gamer since we last played it.

Comment

One thing worth mentioning here is that I played just a little of the Outcast remake, which I got in the Steam sale. It's called something like Outcast Second Contact or along those lines which makes it sound like a sequel but it's not (I knew this going in but I bet it has confused some people). In remaking it, they have added what is possibly one of the worst game intros I have ever seen. I can't remember what the original had in its place. Maybe it was the same but I really don't think it was. Anyway, it's a really bad intro to the game and then it goes into game animation for a really long conversation that is animated really badly. So a terrible first impression.

BUT... once it gets into the game proper, it seems lovely and had a sense of that magic that I remember. So I probably won't get a chance to get stuck into it right now but I'm looking forward to doing so down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    One thing worth mentioning here is that I played just a little of the Outcast remake, which I got in the Steam sale. It's called something like Outcast Second Contact or along those lines which makes it sound like a sequel but it's not (I knew this going in but I bet it has confused some people). In remaking it, they have added what is possibly one of the worst game intros I have ever seen. I can't remember what the original had in its place. Maybe it was the same but I really don't think it was. Anyway, it's a really bad intro to the game and then it goes into game animation for a really long conversation that is animated really badly. So a terrible first impression.

BUT... once it gets into the game proper, it seems lovely and had a sense of that magic that I remember. So I probably won't get a chance to get stuck into it right now but I'm looking forward to doing so down the line.
                    Heeeey yaaaaaa
                    I'm sorry Miss Jackson
                    Shake it, shake it, shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Etc.

Comment

I'm starting to lean more into the handheld side of things to try and fit some gaming in anytime I possibly can now. Right now I'm currently nudging these:

Submerged
                      I'm 6 out of 10 rescue packages in, it's a very simple experience and looks fairly low res on the Switch screen but it's something that's undemanding so I'm enjoying it. I think it'd feel too shallow as a console experience but played in bursts it's okayish.

Spider-Man: Edge of Time
                      On the 3DS, it's a basic brawler but the 3D always adds a layer of pixie magic dust to the experience. Very early in though as yet.

The Wonderful 101
                      Giving this another punt and I know it's wrong of me but it still struggles to click with me. I can't pin a finger on where the disconnect really lies though.

Star Fox Zero
                      If this wasn't Star Fox licensed... it's passable with the ip doing a lot of the carrying.

Comment

I’ve been playing through the Capcom Scrolling beat em up collection I picked up from Japan a couple of months back. I can’t stop playing Final fight, it is literally the arcade game on my console, a true conversion of the arcade original I have wanted for so long. Although I prefer the mega CD sound track, the game plays pretty much as the arcade does, with the number of characters on screen etc...

Really enjoying it...

Also still playing through Zelda Breath of Fire on the Switch too, which is a great pick up and play experience...

Comment

Spider-Man: Edge of Time: Only moved on a little bit so far
                          American Fugitive: Like an old school GTA, it's not as good but still okay, cops are a little too quick to attract but still easy to lose but I feel it'll get old quick

Comment

Saints Row 4 Re-elected on Xbone. Love it. Frame rate might not always be brill (vsync off btw) but it often looks vivid and breathtaking, plays so so fun, maybe a bit messy ascending certain structures but it's pretty amazing how quickly you can traverse, it's like Crackdown with a nitro jammed up its anus. Though more floaty.

Currently on a cluster hunt, fifty mins back I was on 24 and made it my aim to reach 50, right now I'm on 137 already.

Comment

I've been revisiting XB360 IL-2 Sturmovik the WW2 flight combat game often described as the best game of its type. I played it originally on Sim difficulty which was very tough going but, strangely, better than 'Realistic'. This time I've been doing it on Arcade, the default setting which I thought would be more fun.

The more I've played it the less I'm liking it - the missions are very repetitive, the radio chatter is cursory (and repetitive), the squadron controls/commands aren't brilliant either and there is significant slow down which can also affect the audio. Some of the missions are just plain boring and the default control system, apparently with no real free look (you only have a target camera) puts you at a significant disadvantage. Maybe other control systems are better or address this awkwardness.

One thing I've found particularly annoying, may be adjustable in the settings too, is the enemy target indicators are not just icons but closely attached, full descriptive text ie. He 111 + distance info and at long range shooting distances if you have pairs or more aircraft together you often can not see what you're shooting at. I've never had that problem before with other games like the Ace Combat series or the aforesaid Heroes Of The Pacific.

I replayed the competent if not stellar Xbox Heroes Of The Pacific a few months back and enjoyed it far more.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                                Saints Row 4 Re-elected on Xbone
                                Yet another one I've been meaning to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X