Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Godzilla Monsterverse Cinematic Universe

The Godzilla Monsterverse Cinematic Universe
    (In Release Order - Bolded Movies Are Released)

01 - Godzilla
    02 - Kong: Skull Island
    03 - Godzilla II: King of the Monsters

04 - Godzilla vs Kong
    05 - Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (29 March 2024)

The Godzilla In Development List:

-

Series:
    -Skull Island
    -Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
    -Godzilla and the Titans
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 10-01-2024, 08:49.

The Godzilla Monsterverse Cinematic Universe Timeline:
    (As Best Calculated)

01-Kong: Skull Island
    02-Godzilla
    03-Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
    04-Godzilla II: King of the Monsters
    05-Godzilla vs Kong
    06-Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 06-09-2023, 06:45.

Comment

Can’t wait for Godzilla New Project.

Comment

Yes, the transition is complete it seems, this translation being taken from the word of Toho

Toho have stated that they are happy with the US made films and that the US incarnation will continue to be expanded upon alongside the continuing Japanese line of films.

Comment

Kong seems to be the only really well known in the west creature beside Godzilla. Is there another creature they can spin into their own film or are we likely looking more at Godzilla III etc?

Comment

Watched the first one of these again tonight, as [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] hadn't seen it, and we're working up to watch the follow-ups as we've heard they're very good.

I was very negative after seeing it the first time, but I've heard many people since say it was good, so I was wondering if maybe I'd just been in a bad mood that evening or something. Turns out I still didn't think much of it.

The Godzilla scenes were amazing... All 7 minutes of them in the 2hr movie.

I know that no-one goes to a Godzilla film expecting to see several unbroken hours of Godzilla fighting, but this one just seemed to take the piss. You lose count of the number of times you see some monster stuff going on, and you gear yourself up to see the action, only to have the camera draaaaaag-pan back to this rando soldier guy who, if they wanted the audience to care about, was an utter failure.

It made me laugh tonight when he gets back to his family. Did he save the world? No. He didn't do anything! He travelled a long way to defuse a bomb which, in the end, went off. Even his character arc is garbage; he makes his leap of faith in the first act to trust his father, and realises the man wasn't a crackpot and forgives up before the midpoint of the movie... And after that he remains the same person for the rest of the film. No-one emerges from the story different, changed, other than Cranston's character purely by the virtue (!) of being dead!

The human story is just a real let-down, which is a problem as it's 90% of the movie. Did it go through a ton of rewrites? It just seems to have basic problems that a big budget blockbuster like this shouldn't have. Like how the bomb at the end of the movie goes off, and somehow they got far enough away in ~5 minutes from a multi-megaton nuclear bomb, or even how the MUTO escapes from the nuclear storage facility, destroying half a mountain, and no-one notices despite there being a secret society of people who keep watch for kaiju activity.

A classic example, for me, is the bit with Las Vegas. You literally see the monster approach the city, see ~5 seconds of destruction, then see the monster walking away from the city. I mean what the hell?

Again, the action in this kind of movie needs to be doled out carefully to avoid diminishing its impact, but Pacific Rim had already showed that you can pack plenty of kaiju-sized action into a movie while keeping things fresh with good action direction.

There are things to like, certainly. The FX, when deployed, are amazing. The MUTO creature is a superb design. The music is great (apart from the weird 2001 bit, which was bizarre, really hated that). For me, though, the bad enormously outweighed the good.

I've heard the second one (well, third one) is genuinely good, so I'm going to give it a try... But I'm going in with very low expectations.

Comment

Given the nature of your issues with the film I think Godzilla 2 is both going to infuriate and blow your mind at the same time.

Comment

It's no Godzilla Vs. Megalon, but I enjoyed watching it.

Comment

I enjoyed the first one far more than I expected to, after hearing how little fight scenes you see. I still enjoyed it but apart from Ken Watanabe I couldn't give a rats arse about any human story/ back story/ sob story/ soldier story/ journey or that bullcrap.

I just wanna see crazy big monsters fight. I surprised myself really liking the monsters in this and am looking forward to the next one as long as Kickass is not in it trying to IDK, pretend he has some role in the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                    I enjoyed the first one far more than I expected to, after hearing how little fight scenes you see. I still enjoyed it but apart from Ken Watanabe I couldn't give a rats arse about any human story/ back story/ sob story/ soldier story/ journey or that bullcrap.

I just wanna see crazy big monsters fight. I surprised myself really liking the monsters in this and am looking forward to the next one as long as Kickass is not in it trying to IDK, pretend he has some role in the film.
                    Why, I do believe you need to be tuning in to CITV to watch Massive Monster Mayhem - it's ace!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      It's no Godzilla Vs. Megalon, but I enjoyed watching it.
                      I watched King of the Monsters on the plane on the way home last night & thought it was awesome
                      It's utterly ridiculous & totally over the top but the monsters look amazing & the fights are brilliant

Definitely excited for the rest of the movies now

Neil

Comment

I enjoyed the first US Godzilla (2014).

Not really into the whole Kaiju thing but found it to be a really atmospheric, taught movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          I watched King of the Monsters on the plane on the way home last night & thought it was awesome
                          It's utterly ridiculous & totally over the top but the monsters look amazing & the fights are brilliant

Definitely excited for the rest of the movies now

Neil
                          I'm glad you enjoyed it, but after a mobile phone, I'd say watching a monster movie on a plane is worst place to watch it!

You want to be watching it in 3D at the IMAX for a real sense of the enormity of these monsters mashing up Tokyo America!

Comment

Audiences will have to wait a little longer to see Kong and Godzilla duke it out on the big screen, as Warner Bros. and Legendary's 'Godzilla vs. Kong' has been pushed back eight months from its March 13, 2020, release date to Nov. 20.

Godzilla vs King Kong delayed till 20 November 2020 to go up directly against Disney's next big animated classic line film. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Godzilla vs King Kong delayed to go up directly against Disney's next big animated classic line film.

Comment

Working...
                              X