PVM Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Some guy in the London area is buying up decent Sony CRTs and then trying to sell them for £300+. He even wants £650 for my model Sony in the 25" size.

I think this sort of thing has had an influence on people, because I've seen loads of 14" Sony tvs now going for £100-200.

Last year, you'd be lucky to get £50 for a good condition Sony. It will be interesting to see if people are actually willing to spend loads of cash on a really old tv. There's no way I will pay silly money because crafty dealers are inflating the prices.
    I know the guy you mean. He’s pretty notorious for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      I know the guy you mean. He’s pretty notorious for it.
      It will be interesting to see if some people are going to pay what he's asking for.

Edit: Is it Fagin?

Prices for lots of retro stuff has really shot up over the past year or so. Doesn't look like the bubble is going to burst any time soon.

I'm glad I have so much stuff that was relatively cheap compared to current prices. My collection would be far smaller if I had had to pay the current going rates.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-07-2019, 19:17.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if some people are going to pay what he's asking for.

Edit: Is it Fagin?

Prices for lots of retro stuff has really shot up over the past year or so. Doesn't look like the bubble is going to burst any time soon.

I'm glad I have so much stuff that was relatively cheap compared to current prices. My collection would be far smaller if I had had to pay the current going rates.
        No it’s not Fagin - he comes across as a decent guy.

Comment

No it’s not Fagin - he comes across as a decent guy.
          Yeah, I can imagine him being reasonable. His love of CRTs made me think it could be him.

I remember when he was obsessed with scalers. I think a lot of people were inspired to find ways to make retro games look their best.

Comment

Yeah, I can imagine him being reasonable. His love of CRTs made me think it could be him.

I remember when he was obsessed with scalers. I think a lot of people were inspired to find ways to make retro games look their best.
            He has a nice video of an analogue chassis BVM; worth a watch if you want to see why these things are the holy grail. He didn’t fiddle around with too many scalers after getting this...

This is it guys and girls the ultimate in CRT, pixel perfect, lines of scan and geometry that you could calculate the measurements of a triple heart bypass w...

Comment

these things are the holy grail.

I wish I had bought a top quality 20"+ BVM when they were under £200.

I'll just have to hope someone makes a 'BVM' filter/simulator for emulators.

Comment

He has a nice video of an analogue chassis BVM; worth a watch if you want to see why these things are the holy grail. He didn’t fiddle around with too many scalers after getting this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdnC1mx7E0U
                Leon, take careful note of 10:45 To 11:15

Comment

Anyone know where he went? I was really looking forward to his Shield emulation video.

Comment

Jesus christ. £10 tops for me.

Comment

that is absurd i paid a tenner for my KV-14m1u and 20 quid for my kv-x2582U

Comment

Leon, take careful note of 10:45 To 11:15
                        What he said is the doctrine you're sworn to. A true believer.

It really does sound like a decent BVM in good nick is quite magical. I've been using my minty Trinitron and the image looks beautiful, so if it did seem like "sh*t" after seeing a good BVM, I really would be shocked.

If I ever get my hands on loads of spare cash, I'll buy a top quality BVM just to finally see what all the fuss is about. Looks like I'd have to pay at least £800+ for a nice 20" BVM. I guess there are plenty of bad condition PVM/BVMs that should be avoided.

Originally posted by MattyHustedUk View Post
                        that is absurd i paid a tenner for my KV-14m1u and 20 quid for my kv-x2582U
                        I paid around £15 for my 14" Trinitron -- and £40 for my 21". Both over the past 2 years.

I've now noticed that people are jumping on the retro bandwagon and charging crazy prices for even ordinary 14" Sony CRTs. It's all a bit bonkers.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-07-2019, 08:38.

Comment

i still want a pvm even if its just a little 9" buying the kv-x25 was a game changer though its pretty much my perm lightgun set up missus always has a blast on time crisis 2 or vampire night when shes round

Comment

My 20” pvm had a really nice picture... that I later bettered with an ossc and an lcd monitor and if either of those break I’ll just buy another, new. I do get it though. I still play vinyl records despite knowing that cd quality is better. Thing is, if you want genuine nostalgia or want to play a game how the original developers intended then some old crap Ferguson crt is the way to go because that was the standard people had back then. Soon as you use a pvm or bvm you have an image sharper than you ever had back in the day and sharper than the devs ever intended it to be seen and if you want that then get an ossc and a modern tv or monitor and have done with it! Paying this kinda money is madness; they can break if you walk past them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              or want to play a game how the original developers intended then some old crap Ferguson crt is the way to go because that was the standard people had back then.
                              I guess developers made sure their games looked good on CRT televisions. They'd develop them on monitors, but they had to make sure they looked fine on regular consumer screens.

Maybe they liked the effect consumer tv screens had on their games. I don't think the ultra sharpness of monitors is necessarily a good thing for retro games. I've played emulated games on a pro CRT monitor and didn't like the look, but I love how the same games look on a Sony tv.

Soon as you use a pvm or bvm you have an image sharper than you ever had back in the day and sharper than the devs ever intended
                              As much as I'm sure PVM/BVMs deliver incredible sharpness/clarity and vibrancy, I think that might be pushing 240p retro games a bit too far. I definitely don't like severely razor sharp edges on sprites etc... I am definitely curious about BVMs though, because of all the hype surrounding them.

if you want that then get an ossc and a modern tv or monitor and have done with it! Paying this kinda money is madness; they can break if you walk past them wrong.
                              I have a Framemeister and OSSC(better than the FM imo) and think they do a wonderful job with all sorts of retro machines. I'm happy with how 720p upscaling looks without bumping up the sharpness. Both devices have improved with upgraded firmware and extra features.

I also have a mint 21" Trinitron that gives, what appears to my eyes, a stunning image. I think it looks very impressive, even after using a Framemeister and OSSC(in 3x or 4x mode). I guess a top quality OLED screen combined with the OSSC would really impress me, so I will hopefully be able to afford an OLED at some point.

Or maybe a similar but better tech than OLED will appear over the next few years? I will save money and see what develops.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-07-2019, 20:08.

Comment

Working...
                              X