This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wargame View Post
    That would be the week of Mario Maker 2 so probably a bit skewed in the Switches favour.
    There's also Fire Emblem out soon, with Pokemans at Christmas and Link's Awakening in-between. So I suspect even more skewery in the months ahead.

Comment

I get the different viewpoints on this but you don't get to "rule" even if you come out doing absolute gangbusters. If a new high end electric car vendor put an electric car out tomorrow and in the first week sold twice as many cars as Tesla in the same time period we wouldn't say that the new car vendor rules the electric car market. Looking at current sales it appears that the end of this generation Switch will have outsold PS4 and XBox (maybe even combined!). Not yet though.

Comment

Yeah, you're right about the raw numbers so far for each system and I get where you're coming from but, if the figures above are an indicator, the Switch is currently ruling. It just didn't rule in the years it wasn't out (obvs!). So I'd still say that, yeah, you can say it's ruling if it's currently outselling the other existing consoles. Unless that time frame posted above was cherry picked and not indicative of the bigger picture (which is possible) because I'd completely agree with you on that car example. But if they managed to keep it up over a couple of years, that's a different story.

Comment

That's the latest table from vgchartz.

YtD:

Software sales and attach rates paint an even brighter picture.
          Last edited by dataDave; 12-07-2019, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            That's the latest table from vgchartz.

YtD:

Software sales and attach rates paint an even brighter picture.
            Thanks! Although at the risk of coming across as an idiot, can you explain this to me? I'm being thrown by the fact that the blocks don't seem to bear any relation to the figures contained in them. What do the blocks represent?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Thanks! Although at the risk of coming across as an idiot, can you explain this to me? I'm being thrown by the fact that the blocks don't seem to bear any relation to the figures contained in them. What do the blocks represent?
              Year-to-date sales for 2019, the % values are the amount of share each platform has.

Comment

Year-to-date sales for 2019, the % values are the amount of share each platform has.
                I think there is something wrong with the 3DS one it says it has 96.5 share yet sold 0.8 million units.

I assume that all the share combined should equate to 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by wargame View Post
                  I think there is something wrong with the 3DS one it says it has 96.8 share yet sold 0.8 million units.
                  And has the same size big red block as the Switch. That's what is throwing me. The block sizes don't fit the numbers. I think I'm just misunderstanding what is being represented here.

Comment

Because those last two blocks are handheld numbers guys, come on. If the 3DS had 96.5% total hardware share it would make it an absolute killer and likely the most successful console of all time.

FWIW this is only the first year where Nintendo have been ahead.
                    Last edited by dataDave; 12-07-2019, 14:36.

Comment

Because those last two blocks are handheld numbers guys, come on.
                      To be fair, there is nothing in that image to indicate that. You have to understand why that wasn't clear. And the block sizes still don't seem to make sense. They don't match across the two divisions and yet can't mean a percentage either.

Comment

I can assure you that their values do add up perfectly. I really don't have the time to dissect the bars in photoshop with pixel references to indicate that, so you'll have to take my word.

If you stacked each bar on top of one another that would obviously create 100%, with each of the three % values a perfect division of the whole.

Comment

An easier way of working this out in your head is to imagine Switch and PS4 tied at 40%. They would both render the same height with Xbox half the height of either at 20%.

Comment

Okay. So that means the left 100% is way bigger than the right 100%, right? That (among pretty much everything else) was throwing me. They just extended it up to make the largest in each category look exactly the same even though they are vastly different numbers. I think I have that right.

Can't help feeling there are simpler ways to get that info across!

Comment

A pie chart, most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Okay. So that means the left 100% is way bigger than the right 100%, right?
                                Technically, no. One 100% cannot be "bigger" than another 100%. They are both the same value. Imagine the values as two pie charts, both pies would be the same size (100%) irrespective of how many competitors are involved, unless there are no competitors at all then the pie simply wouldn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X