No announcement yet.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely loved this on the gb, I still have my original from years ago. The ending was wonderful, not to mention ace stuff like the fishing, stealing from the shop keeper, the snes sim city music at the sim city guys house, all the different instruments with the music combining. My all time favourite Zelda, I rated this over stuff like Oceania etc.

I'm currently playing the original Zelda on famicom floppy, and it makes you appreciate how far they got with stuff like Awakening, which is a complete joy to play from start to finish. The early Zeldas are a bit ropey.
    Last edited by vanpeebles; 27-09-2019, 08:19.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      the snes sim city music at the sim city guys house.
      Wait, what?! This is a reference I have missed all these years!

Comment

lol, where you been all your life!

Comment

I rated this over stuff like Oceania etc.
          I know that Zelda has many, many fans but you rate Awakening as better than an entire continent?

The early Zeldas are a bit ropey.
          The NES/FDS original and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link definitely are ropey. TBH, both of these could do with modern-day remakes, like what Nintendo did for Metroid with Zero Mission on the GBA.

ALttP is quite cleary the Zelda game that redefined the entire franchise for the better and pretty much influenced generations of 2D Zeldas in the way that Ocarina influenced generations of 3D Zeldas pre-BOTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            I know that Zelda has many, many fans but you rate Awakening as better than an entire continent?
            I found it was a far tighter package, sometimes less but higher quality is better than lots but thinned out. I spent most of the n64 one fishing and never got past the horrible temple. In places it was a chore.

Excuse any TA spellings, I've not had a cuppa yet, and wanted to stay in bed this morning.

Comment

Finished this last night as I knew I was in the last stretches, really enjoyed it. Only thing I think I left undone for the most part was the color dungeon that I did back on DX but there's little reason to bother doing. Lovely remaster

Comment

I found it was a far tighter package, sometimes less but higher quality is better than lots but thinned out. I spent most of the n64 one fishing and never got past the horrible temple. In places it was a chore.

Excuse any TA spellings, I've not had a cuppa yet, and wanted to stay in bed this morning.
                Nintendurn Zeldra is gr8 games with lynx waking up best 1.

Comment

Well this is adorable! I have just finished the 3DS remake of Samus Returns, a Game Boy game from the same era, and that game had to be completely rebuilt as far as I can see because the original with better graphics simply wouldn’t hold up today. It’s massive testament to just how great Link’s Awakening is that this adds a fresh layer of paint but the core is what was there all the way back on its first release. It’s amazing how little they needed to change to make a great game for 2019.

It’s so quirky and lovely and, really, any charm that Zelda games had started with this game. It’s funny and warm and silly and yet the design is pretty much perfect. The pace is exactly right.

Comment

That Face Shrine music is absolutely beautiful. This is a gorgeous game. Yesterday, I got out my original Link's Awakening GB cart and loaded it up for my daughter who is playing through this and it was great to be able to show her how close the games are and see that direct comparison.

The one negative is that the Dampe dungeon construction thing doesn't seem fun at all.

Comment

And now I am finished this. All secret seashells found. The only thing I have really abandoned is the Dampe stuff which really doesn’t seem interesting at all. Do you get anything good for sticking at that?

Anyway, an absolutely gorgeous remake of an already wonderful game. A really beautiful experience. Really tight and perfectly paced.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        And now I am finished this. All secret seashells found. The only thing I have really abandoned is the Dampe stuff which really doesn’t seem interesting at all. Do you get anything good for sticking at that?

Anyway, an absolutely gorgeous remake of an already wonderful game. A really beautiful experience. Really tight and perfectly paced.
                        I think that:

You need to do a bunch of dungeons to unlock all heart pieces?

Comment

I finished the Face Shrine and put my shells in the shell mansion....2 lines. I have missed loads! Need a guide, I think!

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            Need a guide, I think!
                            Probably not. I think you should have the detector by now, right? If so, that really makes getting them much easier and they're generally not that tricky to locate. I only struggled with one at the end which I then got entirely by accident. The only ones that you can't just pick up with the detector are ones you win for minigames.

Comment

There's one at the bottom of the map near the desert entrance (near the skulls) which I can't find. I keep hearing the chime, but no idea how to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                                There's one at the bottom of the map near the desert entrance (near the skulls) which I can't find. I keep hearing the chime, but no idea how to get it.
                                I basically got that one by trying EVERYTHING. It was frustrating. There was some logic to it when I eventually got it but I think that one was too obscure. The most gentle hint I can give you is to remember what you have already done at that exact spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X