User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Everything has an extreme. It does not, however, mean there is an equal middle. I didn't know where my politics truly lay until the last few years when it became increasingly clear that just wanting to be cool to people and not be a knob is apparently considered 'left wing'.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
    When you look at how and why stress affects people social media is just a recipe for disaster. All the pressures of adolescence combined with the seemingly modern expectation of straight As in all subjects at school (honestly, I don't remember it being like that when I was a kid) must be hard enough but to have not release valve, no opportunity to be a bit of an idiot and have it all forgotten in a drunken haze the morning after, must be a nightmare.

It's difficult because I feel sorry for a lot of young people but they're hard to sympathise with at times. I think they're not helped by the fact that, when this stuff becomes political they have a lot of older people egging them on rather than calming the situation down. There's a lot of people on the left who truly believe that you can never be too left wing so they look to pass the baton to the younger generation who can implement their beliefs and take them to the next level. They don't stop to consider how damaging this can be and ignore the fact that, just like right wing ideas, the left has a pathological extreme.

I used to consider myself very left wing but the left seems to have lost the plot. You hear stories like this and wonder how things got so messed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq4Y87idawk
    Its all according to plan, anyone can look around and see that human misery is the prime commodity and mover and shaker of many industries and the net is here to ensure that business stays booming, truly a trojan horse if there ever were one with its seductive rewiring of the brain to make itself indispensable to its prey.

The net fundamentally shows you how ***** most of the world really is along with how little responsibility they're willing to take as a quick browse of most platforms give you a good cross section of how childish people are and also easily amused with limited attention spans, seeing TLDR on something with 2 paragraphs of text makes me wish there was a punch in the face button...

As for left and right wings, its something I've never even considered like that as I always saw it as a voting thing (which in itself is a total sham as either way politicians get in). What wing do the denizens of neogaf come under?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Yes, it's EXACTLY like that. You poor man - the daily oppression and burnings you face are just awful. My sympathies.
    No, it's nothing like that for me and that's the point I'm trying to make (did you even read the post?). I'm not on social media and I'm not so young anymore so I don't feel the intense social pressure that a lot of people do. Having a thousand pairs of judging eyes on you every time you so much as fart must be very stressful and I don't envy the generation that has grown up with this.

Okay yep, I agree with that part and did when I read the initial post. But the comparison feels somewhat extreme and perhaps I read it too literally and felt some perspective was needed, hence the facetious response. But yes, there is a huge amount of pressure on everyone in social media and I feel it's something many people don't even realise, adults and young people alike. I must say I find lots to love about social media but it's a trap in many ways. A lot of it feels like it comes down to inadvertently (or maybe even deliberately) gamifying it - the rewards of gaining followers and likes and then what people are willing to do to get that. So yes, we're on the same page on this point regardless of the comparison.

Combined with the awful internet characteristic of everyone trying to win the discussion rather than attempting to learn something it just felt a bit dispiriting.
    It's this bit that stood out for me, BDF.

I love it when I learn something new or start down a path of exploring something interesting.

It's tricky when it's a subjective opinion though as quite often, it's still delivered as fact.

I'm talking generally, not just GAF.
    For me, I rarely go there as it's a bit aggressive, but they're pretty enthusiastic about EDF, so it's not all bad.

With GAF it's just a case of reading it consistently for a fortnight or so and its position on things becomes pretty clear. It's usually one of two things that raises a flag:

1-News Stories
    They get a lot of them and sometimes the userbase will be so immediately entrenched on a viewpoint that the first poor sole who as much as questions it will be lynched or banned and absolutely no meaningful discussion will take place as it's a one sided debate. Even if the point they raised was valid or worthwhile of debate. I can't remember the topic but a few weeks back there was one where the third or fourth post questioned something about the news story and they were banned and it was something like 40 pages on before someone effectively went 'hang on a minute'

2-Contradiction
    You'll get 50 pages of certainty toned and correct condemnation about something and another thread nearby will contradict it. Eg. say a thread about someone posting something relating to sexual content on a social site which kids have access too. Then another thread where GAF users talk about their junk and what they do with it for 127 pages despite the forum clearly having kids who read and use it.

GAF is freaking hilarious, the 'outrage' over Quiet was real eye opener. I just laugh and shake my head.

I only visit it for news and gifs, but always manage to find some giggles due to the kind of **** mentioned in the posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    It's this bit that stood out for me, BDF.

I love it when I learn something new or start down a path of exploring something interesting.

It's tricky when it's a subjective opinion though as quite often, it's still delivered as fact.

I'm talking generally, not just GAF.
    For me, I rarely go there as it's a bit aggressive, but they're pretty enthusiastic about EDF, so it's not all bad.
    I try not to get too involved in any of those types of discussions as it just feels like a pointless waste of energy. Ultimately, you just end up shouting into your keyboard and it achieves nothing.

I agree about starting down a new path intellectually. It can be one of the most stimulating experiences to explore a new set of ideas that have the power to expand upon your understanding of the world. People like Noam Chomsky, Adam Curtis and Jordan Peterson have, at various times, really opened my mind to ideas that I had never previously considered. I think going on that kind of intellectual journey is far more rewarding than arguing with someone over the internet, especially as neither of you are probably as clever or enlightened as you think you are.

It does seem like the anonymity of the internet enables people to say things that they would never say to someone's face. This allows arguments to become incredibly toxic and polarised. As South Park said, this then almost forces people to take sides which creates these divisive cultural wars with people arguing about ideas that are actually quite detached from their everyday lives.

a lot of glib comments and in jokes.
    You really don't know someone until you've skated with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    1-News Stories
    They get a lot of them and sometimes the userbase will be so immediately entrenched on a viewpoint that the first poor sole who as much as questions it will be lynched or banned and absolutely no meaningful discussion will take place as it's a one sided debate. Even if the point they raised was valid or worthwhile of debate. I can't remember the topic but a few weeks back there was one where the third or fourth post questioned something about the news story and they were banned and it was something like 40 pages on before someone effectively went 'hang on a minute'
    As someone who uses GAF a lot and is pretty familiar with its tone and how it's moderated, I find it hard to believe that this example played out exactly as you describe it, so I'd be interested to see if you can find that thread.

It's certainly easy to get banned if you're not careful, but you'll never be banned for just posting an opposing viewpoint unless that viewpoint is gamergate or if you're overly aggressive to another poster in opposing them. The latter will be a short time-out ban rather than a permaban unless you're a repeat offender or a junior.

NeoGAF is very inclusive as a community if you're a person who tends to respect others in all their diversity. If you're racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic or anything similar then you'll be banned and you won't be missed - I don't see how any right-minded person could have an issue with that kind of moderation though.