User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HailCorpora...xpost_rshills/ - while not specific to gaming, astroturfing is a real thing.
    Eye opening!

Quote Originally Posted by replicashooter View Post
    This is all part of the robotization, the members have all been conditioned exceedingly well to sit, roll over and stay exactly the way the company line states and it just seems a bit weird to me. Ever seen the episode of Red Dwarf where Rimmer creates an entire world populated by his clones?

https://youtu.be/I_C96qx7Wx0?t=1635

Well that is what that place can come off like sometimes but thanks to clarifications offered in this thread it all makes perfect sense as anyone who doesn't fit the mould and chirp the way they've been told gets sent to Coventry with a quickness. Come on everybody, let's do the NeoGAF shufle:

1) OP spends an inordinate amount of time creating an overly fancy opening post for a thread.
    2) Someone makes an acerbic comment within milliseconds of the thread being posted.
    3) Post gets quoted a zillion times with "Never change GAF, never change" style cheerleading
    4) Thread descends into an echo chamber of nearly everyone saying pretty much the same thing

Optional steps:

5) If a wild new member appears with a non conditioned viewpoint call him a "nark" and yell he's committing "hate crimes" until he gets banned
    6) Spend a few more pages talking about how epic the banning was and other self serving backslapping.

There are also other points I could raise about its evident biases on certain topics but they would make this thread go thermonuclear so I'll just leave em be for now but it most definitely is a very weird place. Put it this way if NeoGAF had a real life HQ and was a real life organization that folks went to it would be classed as a cult given the way its members act.
    I'm obviously reading different threads from you. Most of the ones I read have plenty of dissenting opinions. I don't recognise the echo chamber comment at all.

It's true, GAF is a terrible forum, I can't stand how they put effort into their OPs

I don't really understand any of the criticism in this thread really. Sounds like they've been a bit too quick with the banhammer sometimes. That's about it. I don't have any problem with the overriding sentiment being pro-PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I'm obviously reading different threads from you. Most of the ones I read have plenty of dissenting opinions. I don't recognise the echo chamber comment at all.
    We see what we want to see. Those who've been brainwashed often think that how they've always thought

Quote Originally Posted by gunrock View Post
    It's not a narrative mate, the basic premise is ar$e-about-face. When someone is new to something, especially where the rules are many - and to some folks new (like "don't be a misogynist, even for the ****") ; which sounds like a description of NeoGAF, judged by what is being said in this thread, then surely you apply leniency at the start and get stricter over time.
    I disagree, I guess. The rules aren't a secret, there's every opportunity to read them before you agree to abide by them, and if you're going to join a forum and break the rules because you couldn't be bothered to read them then that's on you. It's pretty clear that bans for breaking the rules when you're new are permanent as well, all of this stuff is out in the open if anyone cares to look into it before forming opinions.

With hundreds of people joining a day you need to get rid of harmful posters quickly, you can't just keep letting people off or you end up with the comments threads on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by toythatkills View Post
    I disagree, I guess. The rules aren't a secret, there's every opportunity to read them before you agree to abide by them, and if you're going to join a forum and break the rules because you couldn't be bothered to read them then that's on you. It's pretty clear that bans for breaking the rules when you're new are permanent as well, all of this stuff is out in the open if anyone cares to look into it before forming opinions.

With hundreds of people joining a day you need to get rid of harmful posters quickly, you can't just keep letting people off or you end up with the comments threads on YouTube.
    Without meaning to offend but you really do sound like a Kool Aid sipping true believer with this my man but I suppose you wouldn't see that.

Without meaning to offend but you really do sound like a Kool Aid sipping true believer with this my man but I suppose you wouldn't see that.
    If you believe that I'm wrong in anything I've said then you should try being more specific if you want to discuss it.

Some of the comments in this thread are far too deep for me to comment on. What I can say tho, is some of the threads in the Neo-GAF Off-topic community are great sources for information. The watch thread, figure thread and particularly the Lego thread are very vibrant. The Lego thread is full of positivity for newbs too. Just don't go mentioning you managed to pre-order the UCS MF!

We see what we want to see. Those who've been brainwashed often think that how they've always thought
    I suppose so. But from here that applies to people who think that anyone who disagrees with the hive mind is hounded out.

If you want to see that then you can try the politics threads on rllmuk. Term has started again, so they'll be back at it.