No announcement yet.

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a weird link between PC Engine and home microcomputers, some odd western conversions inclusing Jim Power.

I got Ballistix as my core grafx II pack in, **** on any platform, i dunno what the alternative was but wish id picked it!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      @Leon - the best thing about that Jim Power video is not the number or layers of parallax, but that amazing Chris Huelsbeck soundtrack. The game is tosh, sadly.
      Yeah, sadly that's the case with a lot of Amiga games. At least it shows off the hardware.

Gunhed with parallax scrolling and a Bomb Da Bass soundtrack, anyone?
      Something like that would have been awesome. I've never liked how slow Xenon II is, and how it plays in general. Gunhed is still fun to play because of the fast-paced action.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      You're right that it's built around what works (slowly!) on an ST, but the Amiga is never going to run that at 50fps either.
      Yeah, I doubt even the best coder could get it running at 50fps. Battle Squadron and SWIV run at 25fps.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      With a lot of original Amiga/ST games, frame rates were seen as less important and so they had lots of fancy graphical effects, but scrapped in at 17 or 25fps. It's a sacrifice a lot of games were willing to make though and people raved about the likes of the Bitmap Bros at the time. It's only looking back that they often don't hold up very well.
      I agree that lots of developers opted for 25fps with a focus on impressive graphics. Some even went below 25fps.

I think Xenon II being designed for the Atari ST probably held the game back in some respects. It's running in 16 colours and is a very slow experience. Showing examples of other action/shooter games gives an idea of what the Amiga can do in capable hands. It's easy to believe that Xenon II could have probably run faster. Ideally it would have been designed to take full advantage of the A500.

It's such a shame that we didn't get a Xenon 3 designed to really show off the A500. Seeing Xenon II was a successful 1989 game, you'd have thought a proper Amiga sequel would have made sense in the early 90s. I think there would have been a lot of interest in it. And I'm sure that The Bitmap Brothers could have done a better job with the hardware.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-06-2019, 20:49.

Comment

Golden Axe and Ninja Warriors, but these are the exceptions and not the rule. R-Type 2 was much better on the Amiga than the original
        Yeah, Golden Axe is very impressive. R-Type 2 also delivers in all departments. I need to see what Ninja Warriors is like

but it never got a PCE port to compare to. Shinobi, Outrun and Vigilante are sooooo much better on the PCE.
        They're all Atari ST ports. OutRun could have been far better. Vigilante should have been a better port; the plodding speed is torture.

They're the sort of terrible pre-1990 games that didn't utilise the A500 hardware at all.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        There's a weird link between PC Engine and home microcomputers, some odd western conversions inclusing Jim Power.
        Yeah, don't forget 'Impossamole'

Jim Power was also released for the SNES. Looks impressive, but it's not very fun to play.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        I got Ballistix as my core grafx II pack in, **** on any platform, i dunno what the alternative was but wish id picked it!
        That was cruel of the seller. It would be like giving a SNES buyer 'Big Run' or 'Bombuzal' instead of something reasonably decent.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-06-2019, 23:34.

Comment

Release date March 2020 50 games and we get Snatcher and Dracula X and supergrafx games https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/eu/en/

Edit: in Japanese?
          Last edited by SuperDanX; 12-07-2019, 07:16.

Comment

So all regions get the same 50 games with some overlap, which are bizarrely a mix of US and Jpn language titles? Pre order exclusive to amazon on the 15th July, $100 or 10550 yen.

American games:
            • Air Zonk
            • Alien Crush
            • Blazing Lazers
            • Bomberman ‘93
            • Bonk’s Revenge
            • Cadash
            • Chew-Man-Fu
            • Dungeon Explorer
            • J.J. & Jeff
            • Lords Of Thunder
            • Military Madness (Nectaris)
            • Moto Roader
            • Neutopia
            • Neutopia II
            • New Adventure Island
            • Ninja Spirit
            • Parasol Stars
            • Power Golf
            • Psychosis
            • R-Type
            • Soldier Blade
            • Space Harrier
            • Victory Run
            • Ys Book I&II

Japanese PC Engine games:
            • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
            • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
            • Appare! Gateball
            • Bomberman ‘94
            • Bomberman Panic Bomber
            • Chō Aniki
            • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
            • Dungeon Explorer
            • Fantasy Zone
            • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
            • Gradius (Nemesis)
            • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
            • Jaseiken Necromancer
            • Nectaris (Military Madness)
            • Neutopia
            • Neutopia II
            • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
            • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
            • Salamander
            • Snatcher
            • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
            • Super Darius
            • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
            • Super Star Soldier
            • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
            • Ys I&II

Last edited by SuperDanX; 12-07-2019, 07:17.

Comment

I'm in. Such a great package. Needs to be no more than 80 quid.

Will Snatcher be localised?

Comment

Awesome really looking forward to this, id be astonished if any games are localised but wierder things have happened.

Chew man fu is one of the best puzzle games out there.

Comment

Some truly fantastic games in that line up, more for me personally than any of these other mini systems. A few omissions I'd obviously have loved to have seen, but that was only to be expected, and it'll no doubt be hacked in no time anyway.

Comment

Pretty odd to pad the thing out with Japanese and English versions of the same game and counting it as two titles... but still, it's a nice line-up. Slightly disappointing to have the different versions having the exact same line-up, too.

Comment

It's nice that more people will get to play the excellent Star Parodier.

Gomola Speed would have been a nice addition, but oh well. I will hopefully be able to bung all my faves onto it.

Comment

Nice gamelist. I’m surprised there are no Namco games on there, they were prolific on the PCE. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
                          Nice gamelist. I’m surprised there are no Namco games on there, they were prolific on the PCE. Shame.
                          Yeah, Splatterhouse should have been included. I still enjoy playing through it.

Comment

I’ve decided to get a Japanese one for the white controller, and I’m going to design and 3D print a Duo-R/RX casing on my nifty new resin printer.

Comment

Amazon Japan order page up but not live yet

Still no eu or usa preorder holding pages that i can find. Have a horrible feeling in japan these are going to be scalped to hell but im hoping after the sony ps classic shambles that people hold off til i can get a preorder in lol.

Liking the turbo pad and multitap.

[edit]
                              The console will be available exclusively on Amazon from March 19th 2020, with an Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period starting from July 15th.
                              Err yeah F that, so basically everyone who isn't on japanese prime gets locked out while scalpers hoover up the preorders, classy amazon.

[edit edit]
                              Hmm might play amazon at their own game and get the free 30 day prime trial then soon as my preorder has gone through cancel that sucker as outside of japan it's next to useless as the shipping benefits are only for domestic.
                              Last edited by importaku; 12-07-2019, 17:54.

Comment

With that games list released i have realised that it's capable of playing pretty much every type of pc engine game (excluding fx) really hoping konami do a poor job of locking it down as theres all the western games i want to remove and a hell of a lot more japanese games i want to add. I can't understand why they put jj & jeff on when it's the crapper version, same with air zonk, nobody wants a gimped version of pc denjin.

Still all things considered it's stil a decent games selection despite the western guff.

Comment

Working...
                                X