Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstarters I'm still waiting for are:

Ragusa - A Mediterranean city-builder from award-winning designer Fabio Lopiano, with custom components and a dedicated solo mode.

Ralllyman GT - a fast-paced roll and move racing game that will have you pushing your luck to be the first over the finish line!

Fantastic Factories: A Dice Placement Engine Building Game
    Discover quirky combinations of factories. Puzzle out the best placement of all your workers. Manufacture as many goods as possible!

Last edited by QualityChimp; 29-07-2019, 16:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I'm looking for something new to take on hol ... fairly quick and easy to learn but plenty of play ... so these have definitely been helpful. Might pick up TTR: NY
      No problemo!

How many players and what sort of age range are you expecting to play the games with?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        How many players and what sort of age range are you expecting to play the games with?
        Four of us: me, wife, two boys (11 & 13). They've not played anything for a while but their fave was King of Tokyo.

Comment

Mint Works
          Dobble
          Startups
          Citadels
          Deep Sea Adventure

Small games, off the top of my head, that are great.

I'll check the shelves later.

Comment

I've been invited to a D&D session this week. I have to choose a character but the Dungoen Master will probably handle the actual stats.

I know nothing of D&D but I've seen it in The Big Bang Theory so why the heck not? The DM is a fun dude, so I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              I've been invited to a D&D session this week. I have to choose a character but the Dungoen Master will probably handle the actual stats.

I know nothing of D&D but I've seen it in The Big Bang Theory so why the heck not? The DM is a fun dude, so I'm looking forward to it.
              I went in really sceptical, but I've been doing it for years and it's great fun.
              It actually lends itself to a lot of humour and I have to reign in telling jokes about what's happening, rather than adventuring.

It's bloody complex if you want it to be, but you can keep it quite light if you're happy to let somebody knowledgeable to tell you what to do.

You starting at level 1? You decided on a class?

Comment

I should stop backing Kickstarters, but I love the look of Dinogenics.

They're currently running a campaign with a reprint of the game and an aquatic dino expansion.

Base game is about £55
                Expansion is about £27
                Shipping is about £19

So I have to ask myself if I want to invest about £100 on one boardgame.

Comment

I'm just imagining QC's house in a few years time when all these Kickstarters come in...board games in beds, in the shower, on the kitchen table, in front of the TV....

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    I'm just imagining QC's house in a few years time when all these Kickstarters come in...board games in beds, in the shower, on the kitchen table, in front of the TV....
                    It's not too bad, but I've got more than the allocated space.

I need to give a couple of big boxes back and get rid of stuff I'll never play.
                    My friend has given me a few games he's not played and now they're clogging my shelf.

I also need to support the shelves that are now sagging from the weight!

Comment

QC - tell me about Dinogenics please.

I’m a sucker for dinosaurs (books and Papo dinosaurs are my thing), so a board game ignites my interest quick time.

Looking at the screenshot, it looks like it may be fairly complicated for beginners. One to purchase now and play later, when the kids are a bit older perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                        QC - tell me about Dinogenics please.

I’m a sucker for dinosaurs (books and Papo dinosaurs are my thing), so a board game ignites my interest quick time.

Looking at the screenshot, it looks like it may be fairly complicated for beginners. One to purchase now and play later, when the kids are a bit older perhaps?
                        Apologies, SG, I should've put the link in:

Everything you need to know is there.
                        How to play guides, reviews and stretch goals (a 2-player co-op mode is next).

You might want to take a look at the BGG page for a few reviews from people who have the game:
                        Build and manage your own dinosaur island resort.

I'm really tempted, but can't justify the price.
                        I don't think I'd get it to the table enough.

Comment

Thanks for that QC.

Watched the BGG review. I think this may be a step too far for the family as a board game for beginners.

Does look like fun tho’, and if I had any friends who were in to Palentology, I’d probably end up buying it. Money saved for something else!

Comment

For a simpler dinosaur park building game, have a look at Welcome To Dino World, that I mentioned earlier.

Everyone's designing their own park based on the agenda of the objective cards they have.

Comment

Ragusa arrived yesterday and it looks interesting to play.

"Euro" games are tabletop games that generally have indirect player interaction and abstract physical components. Eurogames are sometimes contrasted with American-style board games, which generally involve more luck, conflict, and drama.

Ragusa is a nice compromise, because each turn sees each player place one house down.
                              This speeds things up, when some players can take an age to play and as players fill the board, they affect their neighbours' properties, so there's no need to mentally switch off between turns.

So on here, the player places his house in the middle of three hexagons and gets 1 x grape, wood and stone.
                              The next player, if the place their house in the slot above, they give that original player an additional wood and stone.

I need to play it a bit to get the hang of it, but I'm hoping it's good!

Comment

Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) are one of the biggest names in board games and are well known for their well-made and licensed products.

They've done Warhammer, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Battlestar Galactica and a bunch more alongside their own games like Descent, Mansion of Madness and loads of others.

At Gen Con (the largest tabletop-game convention in North America), they've just announced a new Living Card Game (LCG) with Marvel as the theme:

Fantasy Flight has a long history with Living Card Games - a genre that differs from standard Collectable Card Games like Magic: The Gathering. Instead of purchasing booster packs to build your deck, players purchase sets of cards. While deckbuilding and strategy are still part of the game, you'll have everything you need to play as soon as you purchase the core set of Marvel Champions.

The core set is slightly more expensive to make that happen (approx £50), but you get a complete game.
                                The heroes in the base pack are Spider-Man, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Captain Marvel and Black Panther.

However, FFG have also said they plan to release new sets to add to your decks every month. The base set it out in November and the first extra deck will feature Captain America.

Comment

Working...
                                X