Retro Arena: Arcade Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trev1976 View Post
    Umm surely chase hq is missing , that's by far my favourite. I also liked outrun 2 , sega rally and scud race.
    Chase HQ is a classic coin-op. It isn’t a racing game though, or at least it certainly isn’t one in the conventional sense like those listed by Leon.

Comment

1. Outrun 2
      2. Manx TT
      3. Super Hang On

I like some of the others, but I'm crap at them, especially Outrun, which rather kills the fun.

Comment

1. Daytona - pumped more coins into it than any other arcade game ever. Great game especially playing against a friend.

2. Sega Rally - it’s almost the antithesis of Daytona where it’s all about the single minded pursuit of improving your performance to get a better time. So much replay value.

3. Scud Race - while not quite as good as Daytona this is more of an experience with incredible visuals and a fantasy setting which helped it standout at the time.

Loads of great games in that list though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          Chase HQ is a classic coin-op. It isn’t a racing game though, or at least it certainly isn’t one in the conventional sense like those listed by Leon.
          Chase HQ style games deserve their own poll. Although Air Bike Cop is the guaranteed winner there.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            I liked Outrun 2006 (coast to coast) more than Outrun 2 myself. The orignal game is better than both mind, it just doesn't seem to age.
            It's fine to choose the 2006 edition.

I also feel that OR2 has aged quite a bit, but the original game still looks really nice. I guess that's because I really appreciate top quality sprite scaling. 3D graphics from the OutRun 2 era can look a bit rough these days. OR2 is still a nice looking game though, despite some rough looking elements.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post

It was a pretty awful run, I crashed twice and finished with only 2 seconds remaining
            Would have been a nightmare if you hadn't completed it. You managed to deal with the pressure.

I didn't know Jason was into retro gaming with BVM/PVMs etc... It's cool that he's a genuine geek.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Got to be Virtua Racing. I love all of them, and have a nostalgia for Daytona in particular, because it was the first Saturn game I played on Christmas morning when I got it, but Virtua Racing just has to win because of what it meant to me at the time.

By today's standards, it's quite crude, but it's just such an important game, because I'm willing to bet there were plenty of people who had very similar thoughts to my own.
            I will always have a soft spot for Virtua Racing, it's such a beautiful game full of charming touches. Will never forget how amazing it seemed back in the day. The fact that it plays so well, makes it a golden classic.

And it may be "crude" by today's standards, but that hasn't stopped Sega releasing it for the Switch. I will download it if I ever buy the machine. Maybe it will get a PS4 release.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            1. Ridge Racer. I remember my first credit on this; big, loud, sit-down cab ... I remember exiting the first tunnel and drifting quite by accident, such a great feeling controlling and coming out of the slide. I was hooked in less than a minute of playing. It's the original and best. The cars, the colours, the circuit and its variants, and of course the music. It's the perfect arcade game*
            A perfect summary of what makes it so special. The graphics were incredible but also stylised enough to create a hyper reality vibe that felt really uplifting. I love how richly colourful the graphics are.

3. Sega Rally. The feeling of barely any grip followed by loads of grip as the surface changes is handled so well. I loved the frantic nature of wrestling the steering wheel while going up and down the gearbox. It made you feel like a rally driver.
            Yeah, it really did feel impressively advanced for its time. Sega managed to create an air or realism while still delivering beautiful graphics and an overall sense of fun.

Kudos to all three home versions too. They all played amazing on a std controller.
            It's great how each developer managed to get the control feeling right on a digital controller. Ridge Racer and Sega Rally feel especially good in the home.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post

3. Scud Race - while not quite as good as Daytona this is more of an experience with incredible visuals and a fantasy setting which helped it standout at the time.
            Such a stunning game.

It will always bug me that Sega didn't release it for the Dreamcast.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            Chase HQ style games deserve their own poll. Although Air Bike Cop is the guaranteed winner there.
            I will look into that.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2019, 16:49.

Comment

The first two are easy:

Outrun
              Ridge Racer

But the third...there's some great choices there. I'm tempted to say Sega Rally or Pod Racer but put a gun to my head and I'd say Outrun 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Sega Rally
                Daytona USA
                Outrun 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                  put a gun to my head and I'd say Outrun 2.
                  One of my go-to games on the Xbox. I also patched the PC version to have 'arcade textures' and other new features. Plus someone found out how to turn on the 'lighting and bloom' effects that were assumed not to be in the PC version.

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                  Sega Rally
                  Daytona USA
                  Outrun 2
                  All golden classics.

Comment

Ridge Racer is by far the best game there. Forget everything outside of actual gameplay, and it’s the clear winner.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      Forget everything outside of actual gameplay, and it’s the clear winner.
                      I still enjoy how the original Ridge Racer looks on the PS1, so I think the aesthetic design holds up well. It's actually a very abstract looking game, despite it feeling really advanced at the time. It's a world away from something dull looking like Hard Drivin'.

I'm finding it hard to choose 3 games, so I'll go for 5:

1. Ridge Racer
                      2. Virtua Racing
                      3. OutRun
                      4. Super Hang-On
                      5. Scud Race

But that could easily change, depending on my mood. I really like most of the games included.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2019, 16:17.

Comment

Ridge in top place for me, easily the best. Second is Super Hang-on, arcade was ace and the Amiga version also very good.

Third is Pole Position only because it's the only other one I've played in the arcade and at the time really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                          Ridge in top place for me, easily the best.

RIDGE RACER

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            Ridge Racer is by far the best game there. Forget everything outside of actual gameplay, and it’s the clear winner.
                            Indeed, well said.

Comment

Ridge Racer
                              Sega Rally
                              Outrun 2

There's a lot to love on the full list but these three are quite far ahead of the rest of the pack

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                Ridge Racer
                                Sega Rally
                                Outrun 2

There's a lot to love on the full list but these three are quite far ahead of the rest of the pack
                                Yeah, those three are perfect examples of 'arcade racing' at its best. They are such brilliant creations that are still a joy to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X