Cart or box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cart or box?

I recently got the reissue of Super Majou and the R-Type collection and it's led to me inevitably looking at SNES games again.
    I'm staggered by the high prices some of the games I'm interested in are now going for and am finding myself drawn to the cartridge only option as a cheaper alternative. There's often as much as five times the difference in price, which is very appealing to my wallet.

I've already got cartridges of Super Mario Kart, Turtles In Time and Pilotwings and I'm now thinking of getting a few more when the boxed variants are out of the question. So I'm wondering how many other people here will settle for a cartridge only if it means getting to play a game they really want to play. Or would you rather settle with alternative ways of playing if it means you can't have a fully complete game?

If I realy like a game, I will seek a mint CIB copy. My collection is very small because of the prices though

Killer, no filler.

Comment

When I got my Super NT last year I had several boxed Super Famicom games already, but wanting to increase my collection I ended up going cartridge only for most of my most recent purchases.
      Demons Crest boxed was going for about £100, so I ended up getting the cartridge only which still cost me £40.

Comment

Nowadays i'm extremely picky when it comes to adding physical games to my collection it has to be complete no sun fade and close to mint as possible. I lack the space and interest to bother going cart or disk only. If i really want to play the game i just emulate while i keep looking for a mint & complete physical copy, this mostly applies to retro stuff as i don't really emulate anything that modern i think the most modern i have gotten up to is psp.

The snes & nes mini have totally scratched the collecting urge in going for those, still have a list of gb/gba/ps1 games i'm after but i'll slowly chip away at that list as and when they appear.

Comment

Collector? Boxes.
          Player? sd2snes.

Comment

When it comes to Super Famicom then it’s loose carts all the way. As I’ve said before, buying boxed games is essentially paying a premium to give yourself a headache.

Comment

I used to be all CIB, all mint, etc., but I came to a point where I sold off almost all my retro stuff. I regret selling my MD collection, but only because I recently bought the Mega Sg - before that I had no qualms about selling anything.

I'm still CIB for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance, which are the only two cartridge based systems I collect for. No chance of picking up MD games again, it'd only be for cosmetic reasons as I have all the games I want on an SD card already. Prices are insane these days, more so because the dollar and the euro are so high. For comparison, $1 used to me 5,50 Norwegian moneys, now it's at almost 9.

In an ideal world I'd have decent MD and SFC collections but it's just not worth it with today's prices. Maybe if I didn't have a kid, but I do.

Would rather just use an Everdrive than buy cart only if I had to choose
              Last edited by Nico87; 13-05-2019, 14:40.

Comment

I generally prefer boxed when I've collected any retro titles, but - and this is a pretty big but - I've never sought out Nintendo formats (specifically SNES, Game Boy, N64). I just feel the boxes were fundamentally poorly designed and unless you go sealed, somehow, you're always going to get dog-eared ones.

Comment

Pretty much always CIB unless the game is that rare, and taking a loose copy is the rational and easier option heh.
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Interesting comments so far. Selling off a load of games recently has really made me think about my existing games. I might go for another cull.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                      I recently got the reissue of Super Majou and the R-Type collection and it's led to me inevitably looking at SNES games again.
                      I'm staggered by the high prices some of the games I'm interested in are now going for and am finding myself drawn to the cartridge only option as a cheaper alternative. There's often as much as five times the difference in price, which is very appealing to my wallet.

I've already got cartridges of Super Mario Kart, Turtles In Time and Pilotwings and I'm now thinking of getting a few more when the boxed variants are out of the question. So I'm wondering how many other people here will settle for a cartridge only if it means getting to play a game they really want to play. Or would you rather settle with alternative ways of playing if it means you can't have a fully complete game?
                      To me, cart only is no different than running a rom on an everdrive. I buy games for the whole package. Its the box and manual which make the game special to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        To me, cart only is no different than running a rom on an everdrive. I buy games for the whole package. Its the box and manual which make the game special to me.
                        I agree, it's why I re-bought 70% of my Xbox One games and about 33 Xbox 360 games, several of which I already owned digitally. Granted, the One games doesn't come with manuals, but still. Can't justify another Mega Drive collection again though, as I've already gone through it once. It's just way too much money. Same goes for SFC.
                        Last edited by Nico87; 13-05-2019, 15:36.

Comment

SFC is one im strictly cart only, wont even entertain boxed games. Funny that, tho I do like the cardboard Neo Geo games.

Megadrive gotta have the clamshells...but I wont touch a bluebox game, black grid only hehe. Daft.

Comment

King of the Monsters is the only cardboard box AES games I have. It’s in nice condition and looks fine in a box protector, but I wouldn’t want any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              I don't personally agree that a cartridge is no different to an everdrive, but I do agree that it's nice to have the whole package. I wonder if you'd still feel that way if you were starting a collection from scratch in today's market.

Comment

Working...
                              X