This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elizabeth

A friend recommended this and I'm glad she did because it's brilliant. It's beautifully shot in lavish locations with an outstanding cast in gorgeous costumes who are all on form; but it's Cate Blanchett's imaginative and lucid performance as Elizabeth which elevates it above most period dramas. I don't know how historically accurate it is but as well as being a movie about politics and religion and the monarchy, it's a story about the death of innocence in a young girl and the way power coldens the hearts and minds of those who wield it.

Last edited by Zen Monkey; 22-07-2019, 11:58.

Comment

Lion King 2019, was ok, looked amazing and sometimes the photo realistic was a benefit but in the end I had seen the film before and to me was pointless.

Comment

Re-watched for the first time probably in 20 years drama comedy: Paper Moon 1973. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich and starring real life father and daughter Ryan and Tatum O'Neal.

Wonderfully luminous b/w photography, perfectly matched to the depression era America where it is set and both the main stars, I'd say, put in the performances of their lives. Unarguably Tatum O'Neal's is one of the best ever big screen debuts by a child actor you'll ever see and she was deservedly awarded the best supporting actress Oscar for it. Anna Paquin in The Piano was two years older when she won her Oscar and that was not her first major film role either (Fly Away Home).

Well worth seeing/seeing again IMHO.

BTW Can anyone explain how to embed a YT clip here because the YT options here do not seem to work?
        Last edited by fallenangle; 24-07-2019, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          BTW Can anyone explain how to embed a YT clip here because the YT options here do not seem to work?
          Paste only the part after the = into the [youtube] bits.

Comment

Ready Player One - Some films I love at the cinema but when watching again at home I'm less keen. This was completely the other way around. There were a number of reasons I didn't quite get into it at the cinema: my wife was complaining of motion sickness, then I was worried about The Shining part freaking the kids out, I wasn't overly keen on the avatar designs and some of the Oasis environments looked a bit too Wreck It Ralph for my liking.

BUT ... I just watched it again, on my own, surrendered to the full on blockbuster assault and I loved it.

Super 4k blu too. Dolby Atmos sound proper rocked the foundations.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Paste only the part after the = into the [youtube] bits.
              It still does not work for that ^^ Paper Moon clip.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 22-07-2019, 23:57.

Comment

@fallenangel;

Here you go:

Now just click 'Reply with Quote' to see what I typed. Compare it to yours and you'll see the bit you need to put between the tags:

Code:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[B][SIZE=4]BzHwm2QDPfI[/SIZE][/B]&feature=youtu.be
                Nothing else should be between the YouTube tags except for that bold bit. Once you've done it a few times, you'll get a feel for the pattern.

Atticus is partly right, but it won't work if you put everything after v= between those youtube tags.

BzHwm2QDPfI&feature=youtu.be
                Last edited by randombs; 23-07-2019, 02:22.

Comment

A couple off The Horror Channel. Quelle surprise.

First off...OUTCAST (2010)...starring James Nesbitt. It's all about satanism and a real demon on the prowl in a bleak Scottish council estate. It's full of shots of bleak, low budget council estate. And that's my thang, I find pleasure in the bleak architectures, it stimulates the pineal.

But it makes the film feel very low budget towards the middle and increasingly onwards. It's kinda good but pap by the end. But has a bleak Scottish atmos. Not total rubbish but good in the same way horse dung is, ie. as a compost to grow other, better things.

Next up, THE STEPFATHER (2009), the remake of a decent, effective original that manages to be both decent and effective and actually brings a few gleeful joys along the way. This is a great remake of a great film. Dylan 'Nip/Tuck' Walsh (the boring one with the chin) playing a weird, perfect widower who seduces and murders single parent families. He's actually brilliant as the goodie-two-shoes family guy always clamouring for family (seriously, have never heard the word 'family' used as much as this in a film).

Anyhow, it's doing the rounds right now and I recommend it. It really has a few fun moments in it and Dylan Walsh is proper wacko in it. If you feel happier after watching a movie then I reckon it must've been decent, it's at least a glowing 7.2 crystal bowls/10.

Comment

Forgot to mention the Nesbitt movie has some very effective demon fx, I thought it looked a lot more 'real' than what much bigger budget movies do.

I think the bulk of the budget went on maintenance for Nesbitt's hair, that old beardy guy from GoT and the demon fx. The bulk is a love letter to cubist 60s council estates that look like Chernobyl fall out.

Just don't wear loose-fitting trousers.

In Chernobyl.

Because Chernobyl fall out.

Comment

Peter and the Wolf

This charming stop motion adaptation of the famous fairy tale is set to a new recording of Sergei Prokofiev's iconic orchestral music performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. The film has no dialogue or narrative whatsoever and instead relies on imagery and music to tell the tale which itself is a subtle retelling on the original. It's a beautiful film, clearly a labour of love and, most importantly, has not been Disneyfied. What I mean by that is it has not been created to appeal to the maximum number of people in a maximum number of places, it has not been neutered of cultural nuances, it has not been filtered of anything that might be considered sinister or dark or ambiguous to the point where it resembles a bland, homogenised cultural artefact like those produced by Disney and Pixar. The imagery has substance and character and serves as a reminder that fairy tales were often quite dark affairs before monetisation bleached them of all colour.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        fallenangel

.......just click 'Reply with Quote' to see what I typed. Compare it to yours and you'll see the bit you need to put between the tags:

Code:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[B][SIZE=4]BzHwm2QDPfI[/SIZE][/B]&feature=youtu.be
                        Nothing else should be between the YouTube tags except for that bold bit. Once you've done it a few times, you'll get a feel for the pattern.

Atticus is partly right, but it won't work if you put everything after v= between those youtube tags.

BzHwm2QDPfI&feature=youtu.be
                        Thanks for the further explanation and, as you can see, I've edited the original post and the YT clip, which sums up the film very well, now works perfectly.

Comment

The Princess Bride

Finally saw this. It's hilarious and, unlike recent comedies, it takes its time. I watched it while lying on the sofa on a lazy Saturday afternoon and it fit the mood very well.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                          Thanks for the further explanation and, as you can see, I've edited the original post and the YT clip, which sums up the film very well, now works perfectly.
                          Nice one!

One cool thing I found is that if you click 'Share' on a video, you'll get a nice and tidy URL like this:

Much easier to copy the important bit.

Comment

I was copying the whole thing initially, then, after the first piece of advice, all the bits after the first = . I did then try the Share option and copied that in full, putting it between the YT/YT options too - nothing worked.

Now I know how to do it I will not forget - thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                              Elizabeth

A friend recommended this and I'm glad she did because it's brilliant. It's beautifully shot in lavish locations with an outstanding cast in gorgeous costumes who are all on form; but it's Cate Blanchett's imaginative and lucid performance as Elizabeth which elevates it above most period dramas. I don't know how historically accurate it is but as well as being a movie about politics and religion and the monarchy, it's a story about the death of innocence in a young girl and the way power coldens the hearts and minds of those who wield it.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Watched the sequel last night which is better than the original in every area except for the one that matters - substance. It's way too Hollywoody, a dull tale of good vs bad, the bad guys look bad, the good guys look good, the hero saves the day, I dislike that sort of simplified storytelling. Even Cate Blanchett's brilliance can't rescue the movie from it's tripe, cliched format. The movie's a pleasure for the eyes I suppose, if not the mind. Shame.

Comment

Bad Times at the El Royale - pretty darn good, some unexpected bits and kept me interested the whole way through. Good job by the whole cast, Jeff Bridges still got it!

Comment

Working...
                                X