Rick & Morty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick & Morty

Adult Swim have announced a November premiere date for the highly-anticipated fourth season of dimension-hopping animated comedy hit “Rick and Morty”. The news comes via the network’s official Twitter with a 30-second animated clip setting up the announcement. The news comes almost one year to the day it was announced that the network had reached […]

Rick & Morty: Season 4 will debut in November 2019. Following its 70 episode renewal it's unclear whether we're facing longer seasons or seven more 10 episode runs

Adult Swim has cut series co-creator and lead voice actor Justin Roiland loose following the assault charges against him. Moving forward the roles of Rick and Morty will be recast.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      https://deadline.com/2023/01/adult-s...medium=twitter
      Adult Swim has cut series co-creator and lead voice actor Justin Roiland loose following the assault charges against him. Moving forward the roles of Rick and Morty will be recast.
      Honestly this is just sad. I'm aware it's a cash-cow and the exec team at Adult Swim must be absolutely bricking it but it's a show which revolves primarily around two people, Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, and both of them have been implicated in controversies (admittedly Harmon's weren't arrestable offences). It's time to call it a day.

Comment

It's an awkward one, they're debating it endlessly on Era both for and against cancellation but I think I ended up falling on them keeping it running as once it gets into the territory where the cancellation stance would also effectively mean advocating the cancellation of Community: The Movie, Solar Opposites, Krapopolis and the withdrawal of High on Life it means one man's actions cost hundreds of jobs versus casting a new V/O

Comment

Everything about this is a horrible mess.

I definitely think Adult Swim needed to act, but firing Roiland before the case is even resolved seems unfair.

However, it does sound like he's an awful human being and this was going to happen sooner or later.
          He seems to have texted a few minors and been sexually inappropriate in those messages, abusing his status to get into conversation with them.

Shame, R&M has been a great show with lots of inventive ideas, but it's easy to call it quits with these revelations.

I can understand why Adult Swim want to keep it going as it's such a big hit for them.
          Maybe some fresh input will save it from the increasingly cynical downward spiral?

Comment

It's an awkward one, they're debating it endlessly on Era both for and against cancellation
            If you had a close mate that you went to the pub with and you always have a laugh when they're there, but then they split from their partner, because it turns out they've been abusive both physically and mentally to them. Not only that, but they've been sexting with 16-year-olds that their job puts them in contact with.

Would you continue asking them to the pub, or would you think they're not quite the person you thought they were?

Is that cAnCeL cUlTuRe gone mad, or is snubbing them the repercussions for their actions?

Comment

You drop their ass yesterday. It's not the cancellation of Roiland though that's being debated, it seems like the accusations against him started over two years ago and this has been a long time coming so I assume there's little room for doubt at this point even though it's still officially being investigated. I think, when it comes to the show itself, some if it comes down on whether he would still be a beneficiary of it despite being dropped. I know he doesn't have any ownership of it but he was naturally very center to its production, if he can be carved out then I feel its fine for others not to get dragged down by him as collateral.

Comment

Makes me curious whether this is now more his own doing than Adult Swim's.

Comment

I think, when it comes to the show itself, some if it comes down on whether he would still be a beneficiary of it despite being dropped. I know he doesn't have any ownership of it but he was naturally very center to its production, if he can be carved out then I feel its fine for others not to get dragged down by him as collateral.
                  I think it will probably fail without Roiland's input, but I absolutely think that Adult Swim have every right to at least try continue making a show they have ownership of.

It may thrive under new stewardship.

Like any other company that fires a creative force within the business, they're not going to suddenly stop manufacturing their product.

Comment

Yep, there's so much talk about the voice work but the writing is probably the area where the difference is going to be noticeable the most and where things might fall apart fast. We'll eventually get to it but the Red Dwarf thread is a good comparison, where the exit of just one person had an immediate impact the show took years to - if in some ways ever did fully - recover from

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Like any other company that fires a creative force within the business, they're not going to suddenly stop manufacturing their product.
                      Not only that but a lot of it is already in progress, money is being spent and there are massive amounts of people employed by the show. It's not made by one guy. Not by a long shot. To have everyone lose their jobs because one guy was a dick would be terrible.

Comment

He was the co creator, and voiced rick and morty so their loosing a lot of what made the show, it was pretty sick and twisted as a show, Giant inceset baby's, slut Dragons, Jerry nearly ****ing his mum, Beth having a romance with a clone of herself. it's really no surprise that Justin is also pretty ****ed up. the thing is these story lines are not what made the show great, its best when its not leaning into this sort of stuff, things like them having a day care for Jerrys when they go on adventures is what makes the show good not episodes where Morty has a pet sperm

Comment

One of my favourite episodes is where one of Rick's car batteries isn't working properly and it's revealed that it's actually powered by a microscopic alien civilization that generate electricity for themselves with an invention gifted by Rick, but he takes most the energy.

The battery has stopped because a scientist inside has invented a similar device for even smaller aliens, so you have three levels of scientists making batteries.

All the while, Summer is in the carship in defence mode which is seriously escalating.

No incest or any of the icky stuff, but some meaty concepts to think about whilst laughing at what's happening.

Hopefully the show will steer more towards that stuff or the Pickle Rick or the Morty planet ("The Ricklantis Mixup").

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Not only that but a lot of it is already in progress, money is being spent and there are massive amounts of people employed by the show. It's not made by one guy. Not by a long shot. To have everyone lose their jobs because one guy was a dick would be terrible.
                            Yeah; ultimately I guess you have to judge it by how it affects others. I find that a difficult equation.

A good example was how a few years back, there was a fantastic anime called Net-juu no susume (in the west it was called Recovery of an MMO Junkie), about a mature woman who loses her job and retreats into online gaming, and comes out of her shell as part of the plot of a romantic comedy. Really cool, fun show. Then everyone found out the director was a Nazi (and not "well maybe he was-" Nazi; like literally the proper "saying Hitler had the right idea on Twitter" kind of Nazi). Any chance of a second season was quashed and ever since, I've never recommended the show to anyone. And that's a shame, because I loved it, and so did many people, but I just couldn't engage with the material on a rewatch.

And that's bad, in a way, because an animated show is such a huge production that it seems almost vindictive. But I guess the line is that I don't enjoy it anymore, and that's all that matters.

Comment

That the show can regularly dive into such extreme and controversial subjects and imagery for what will be at least a decades worth of material... but ultimately mostly be remembered for a Pickle is a brilliant

Comment

Working...
                              X