Games that deserve more appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Nintendo should have given this another punt on N64.
    I wish they had, or brought it back big time for the GameCube. As much as I can appreciate the craft that went into the game, I felt the low frame rate really spoiled things. I remember thinking it was a step back after the smooth gameplay of SMK, even if it was more complicated.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    To clarify - it that Spanky the Monkey?!
    We can only wonder if the Japanese developer was having a laugh.

Comment

*Shakes hands*
      "Have a nice weekend then. Any plans?"
      "I'm going to play Spanky the Monkey."
      "Okaaaaaay"
      *wipes hand on shirt*

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        *Shakes hands*
        "Have a nice weekend then. Any plans?"
        "I'm going to play Spanky the Monkey."
        "Okaaaaaay"
        *wipes hand on shirt*
        Dominik Diamond: Here's our first gamer, please introduce yourself.
        Contestant: Hello, my name's Graham and I'm having a go at Spanky the Monkey.
        Dominik:
        Audience:

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
          I always wondered with the Neo Geo, given how big and expensive the carts were could they add extra power along the lines of the Super Fx chip or anything else
          I'm sure they could have done. Pretty much every cartridge system has used extra chips to enhance games, even going back to Atari 2600. The main issue - is that the initial development costs of such a chip probably wouldn't have been worth it. It also adds cost to each cartridge, so you either charge more for a game or take a hit on profit margins.

TBH I'm pretty sure someone could make a smooth Outrun or even Outrunners type game on the Neo Geo. I just think it would be a harder to make than on other systems. It also has the advantage of massive storage so you can prestore a lot of animations + road elevations etc

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Yeah, I was also disappointed with the Amiga version. It seemed like an interesting game on paper, but didn't really work well in practice.

The Xbox version is really good. It's one of the best looking games for the system -- and runs really smoothly. I haven't seen it get any recognition over the years, so it's definitely an unsung gem.
          It's good to find someone who thinks the same. Star Wars Pod Racer should have been like Xbox Powerdrome!

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
            It's good to find someone who thinks the same. Star Wars Pod Racer should have been like Xbox Powerdrome!
            It's a shame we didn't get a Star Wars Racer sequel that took advantage of the superior Xbox hardware. But at least Powerdrome is a really nice alternative that's ultra fast and really impressive.

Quantum Redshift, also for the Xbox, has also never got much recognition. Another futuristic racer that's worth returning to.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Quantum Redshift, also for the Xbox, has also never got much recognition. Another futuristic racer that's worth returning to.
              I actually have that but to my shame have never played it! I'll give it a spin soon. It looks pretty good from videos

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                It looks pretty good from videos
                It feels completely different to F-Zero and Wipeout, so takes a while to get used to. I think it's pretty fun once you get into it. The graphics looked really impressive back in the day -- and still look pretty good.

Comment

Don’t know if this has been mentioned but I think Go Go Trouble Makers or Mischief Makers deserves more credit.
                  Treasure games are generally fabled and I feel like this one falls to the wayside and isn’t discussed at all. It’s an excellent game that is right up there as a Treasure great IMO, in fact I’d consider it one of my personal favs.

Comment

I’m gonna throw Cyro’s Dune in there as a forgotten gem, eternally cast in the shadow of its more renowned and popular sequel, developed by Westwood and forefather of the RTS genre.

Whilst Cryo’s attempt was much more sedate in pace, it successfully combined point and click adventuring with strategy elements whilst having a fair stab at following the David Lynch film more than Herbert’s original books.

What I liked about it was its atmosphere; it really captured the essence of Herbert’s world, helped in part by its lush graphics (for the time), beautiful gradient skies that transition through morning, noon and night, and that stunning Stephane Picq soundtrack. The soundtrack cleverly utilised ethnic instruments to give it an exotic direction and really managed to sound otherworldly, transporting the player into the Dune universe.

Despite its very linear structure in terms of storyline progression, the game also managed to create a sense of being an open-world, allowing you to travel to any part of the planet from the get-go. Or, at least, it did in theory by cleverly having your ornithopter shot down if it were to travel into enemy-occupied territory. The game also cunningly twists the story a little to allow less frequent travel across the planet once you discover and occupy more areas, making the strategic element much more palatable.

Which version to go for? They all have their plus and minus points. The Amiga version has arguably the best renditions of Picq’s masterpiece, however it features only three tracks. Whilst this helped back in the day, keeping floppy quantity down to just three, of which only two needed to be used during gameplay, it does take the lustre away in the modern age. The Mega CD has some great YM-2612 renditions and full speech that uses great lip-sync. It even features grainy clips from the movie for all those Dune fanatics. But unfortunately, due to the MD’s colour limitations, its graphics look far more washed out than the Amiga/PC versions, and it doesn’t have the gradient-filled skies. Go for the PC version instead for the full-fat experience, but make sure you can emulate Roland AdLib sound card as the Soundblaster renditions of the soundtrack are by far the worst of the three versions.

Comment

I'll also like to add Buck Rogers and Starflight on the Mega Drive , both epic space adventures and the MD ports were incredible

Comment

Bumping this to mention Zero Wing, specifically the MD version. Everyone knows the bad intro translation (which, translation aside, is a super cool intro) but the game itself is a very neat shooter with a fantastic soundtrack. I feel the MD one is the definitive version soundtrack-wise, the drum breaks and guitars are great.

Funnily enough, my mate had it back in the day and we didn't even notice the intro translation (it wasn't a big deal back then).

Have a listen:
                        Zero Wing OSTall the VGM for this game are belong to ( © ) their official owners. No copyright infringements are intended.

It's a shame a novice translation has overshadowed the game itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          Bumping this to mention Zero Wing, specifically the MD version. Everyone knows the bad intro translation (which, translation aside, is a super cool intro) but the game itself is a very neat shooter with a fantastic soundtrack. I feel the MD one is the definitive version soundtrack-wise, the drum breaks and guitars are great.

Funnily enough, my mate had it back in the day and we didn't even notice the intro translation (it wasn't a big deal back then).

Have a listen:
                          Zero Wing OSTall the VGM for this game are belong to ( © ) their official owners. No copyright infringements are intended.

It's a shame a novice translation has overshadowed the game itself.
                          Trying to 1cc the Arcade PCB at the moment. Toaplan games are incredible!

The music is on another level

Comment

You got me wanting to play Truxton again. Tatsujin. A cool, cool game with two cool names

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              You got me wanting to play Truxton again. Tatsujin. A cool, cool game with two cool names

I was playing Truxton 2 the other day -- and the graphics are still really impressive. The sprite work is excellent.

I remember wanting an 'FM Towns Marty' just for this game. The screenshots looked...

Comment

Everything in here, never a shortage of the overlooked sadly

Comment

Working...
                                X