Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke my favourite wine glass - a beautiful, hand blown, frosted crystal Arabic design with floral etchings which I bought in Hebron after a lengthy haggle. We were almost killed on that day so I remember it well. It was during the second Intifada (Palestinian uprising) in 2000 and though we were warned not to go to Hebron, I wanted to visit Abraham's tomb sacred to both Muslims and Jews and so off we went. You know you're in a tense place when there's bulletproof glass separating the mosque and synagogue which are both in the same building but the trouble began a couple hours later when we were literally run out of town. Started off with a few dirty menacing looks mostly thrown towards my Israeli girlfriend while we walked through the marketplace, then stone throwing, and eventually being chased through the streets for our lives and jumping into a taxi and being driven to safety. Terrifying experience. I've no doubt they would have killed us given the opportunity. Racial hatred is so ugly and stupid. Anyway, I loved that glass, it was a physical reminder of that day.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      The other device will be tracking you too.
      I was referring more to the absurdly bad security of smart TVs, I mean EVERYTHING is tracking you. At least a console, iPhone, or fire stick has SOME security at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        Broke my favourite wine glass - a beautiful, hand blown, frosted crystal Arabic design with floral etchings which I bought in Hebron after a lengthy haggle. We were almost killed on that day so I remember it well. It was during the second Intifada (Palestinian uprising) in 2000 and though we were warned not to go to Hebron, I wanted to visit Abraham's tomb sacred to both Muslims and Jews and so off we went. You know you're in a tense place when there's bulletproof glass separating the mosque and synagogue which are both in the same building but the trouble began a couple hours later when we were literally run out of town. Started off with a few dirty menacing looks mostly thrown towards my Israeli girlfriend while we walked through the marketplace, then stone throwing, and eventually being chased through the streets for our lives and jumping into a taxi and being driven to safety. Terrifying experience. I've no doubt they would have killed us given the opportunity. Racial hatred is so ugly and stupid. Anyway, I loved that glass, it was a physical reminder of that day.
        I was going to say something but It does not surprise me in the least bit that you went to a city In the middle of an uprising when your specifically told not to because there’s an UPRISING. Not surprised one bit.

That was sarcasm

Comment

I bet he was wearing his tea cosy with a picture of a cat on it. (If it actually happened).

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            I was going to say something but It does not surprise me in the least bit that you went to a city In the middle of an uprising when your specifically told not to because there’s an UPRISING. Not surprised one bit.

That was sarcasm
            The day Ariel Sharon visited the Al Aqsa Mosque in Jeruslaem (which was the spark that ignited the second intifada) I walked into the old city against the flood of people fleeing the city, many in tears, made my way to Haram esh-Sharif but there was a mob there and I lost my nerve, so I turned around and walked back the way I came, next thing a group of IDF soldiers round the corner ahead of me and I'm trapped between them both. Stones start flying. Then rubber bullets are whizzing in the air and I duck down and am crawling around in the dust cursing my stupidity. It was absolutely terrifying but I can laugh at it now. I loved danger and adventure in my youth. But sitting under a tree or on a lake is more my thing these days.
            Last edited by Zen Monkey; 26-07-2019, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              I(If it actually happened).
              Ye of little faith.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                I bet he was wearing his tea cosy with a picture of a cat on it. (If it actually happened).
                The story checks out I’ve been going through his journals recently.

Comment

What kind of cat was it?

Comment

Couldn’t really tell. He crochet it himself so it was cat like.

Comment

Our water has gone off. Champion.

Comment

Bored of people. Irked by people. They are too much. Their energies powering the inadequacies.

First thing today. Get in taxi to work 5.41am. Bulb-sounding taxi driver tells me he has thunk we are all part of a VR minigame and are simulations but are also controlled by a 'controller' in the non-virtual 'real world'.

He also said he'd thunk some kinda scenario whereby the brain gets installed with some kind of consciousness-combining chip, a scenario which would mean we could browse the net and look at Google Maps WITHIN OUR OWN HEADS.

When I told him I'd been reading about Elon Musk's 'neural lace' technology for like the last two years, he kinda went quiet and just shut right up.

He was onto something. And it eaw entirely about him. I should've attempted yanking the arm from the socket and seeing if it sparked.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          The other device will be tracking you too.
                          Charles makes a mint tracking all forumites.

Comment

When someone (ie my missus) tells someone else a tale from their life, and I’m listening, and she presupposes knowledge about the gits in the story.

Invariably she includes the names of people that the other person doesn’t know, yet she makes no attempt to explain who they are. It’s embarrassing. I can see the other person thinking ‘who? Wtf?’ While she prattles on.

‘So Janet said to Joanne that Helen....’

All the while I’m thinking, this poor sod doesn’t know how these people are and you’re making NO attempt to explain.

Comment

Yeah, I get that too. To make matters worse, my wife knows a crazy amount of people and most of them seem to have the same names and she'll seamlessly shift from one story to another without any clue that she is now talking about a completely different person.

Comment

Keepmoat Homes (nee Haslam) are such an incompetent set of arseholes. It’s almost two years since we bought this place and there’s still various things need doing on the basic build quality.

One of which is the garden. The front garden sags into a trench that had to be dug to re-do the drainage. They’ve relaid this three times already, yet it still sags.

The back garden has always been a shocker. Dig down a few inches and it’s a load of rubbish underneath. Standard. But the grass surface itself is uneven and full of bumps, pits and troughs. You’d do your ankle on it if you weren’t careful. First time I cut it, it took 4 hours. It’s appalling.

Keepmoat examined the complaints about the garden. Did they send out an independent surveyor? Nope. They sent out... the contractors who did the job in the first place.

Did they find anything wrong? Of course not.

That can’t be right. Absolute cowboys.

Comment

Working...
                                X