This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    The ‘huge bonus’ is that he gets to leave at 10pm instead of 11 that night.
    But only because it’s Sunday and he missed his daughters birthday.

Comment

DO WANT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 have all launched on Switch. If that wasn't enough of a surprise, get this - they are actually really reasonably priced. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...intendo_switch

Edit: False alarm. They are gone! Hope those prices were accurate though. I'd happily replay Doom 3 after all these years.
        Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
        DO WANT!!!
        People are going nuts on Twitter; supposedly you must be connected to the internet at all times to play these ports of DOOM. Nintendo don't do eShop refunds and people are pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          People are going nuts on Twitter; supposedly you must be connected to the internet at all times to play these ports of DOOM. Nintendo don't do eShop refunds and people are pissed.
          Must be just 1 or 2 because I’m playing 3 right now and cutting off my Internet doesn’t seem to have made a difference. It did try to get me to sign up to something on launch but I just pressed B to get out of it and carried on as normal. I’ll keep on playing to see if lack of internet causes a problem at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Must be just 1 or 2 because I’m playing 3 right now and cutting off my Internet doesn’t seem to have made a difference. It did try to get me to sign up to something on launch but I just pressed B to get out of it and carried on as normal. I’ll keep on playing to see if lack of internet causes a problem at some point.
            So correction - apparently to play 1 and 2, you can't get past the title screen unless you log in with a Bethesda account. Thereafter, you never need it again; you just need it to "unlock" the games. I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether Airplane Mode defeats it.

I suspect this is a "lead generator", due to it being quite cheap. It's a way to try and get a bunch of people to sign up for accounts, similar to how places sometimes give you discounts or freebies if you sign up to a mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              So correction - apparently to play 1 and 2, you can't get past the title screen unless you log in with a Bethesda account. Thereafter, you never need it again; you just need it to "unlock" the games. I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether Airplane Mode defeats it.

I suspect this is a "lead generator", due to it being quite cheap. It's a way to try and get a bunch of people to sign up for accounts, similar to how places sometimes give you discounts or freebies if you sign up to a mailing list.
              Yep, that would make sense. A bit crafty if that’s the case. Well, they missed it in Doom 3.

Comment

A bit crafty but hardly the end of the world. Gamers are the biggest bunch of moaners there is. I do feel like they forget games companies are actually businesses and it’s not inherently immoral for them to try and make money.

So good OG Doom has come to Switch, and so cheaply! A definite buy for me

Comment

Bethesda want to pull an Epic. You have the sign in annoyance on Young Blood.

Comment

So I tried out two of the big F2P games, Paladins and SMITE. I should say that going in I had high hopes for them, as I actually quite like Hi-Rez; it's a shame Tribes Ascend never took off.

Anyhoo...

Both games seemed to perform well, so that was fine. 60fps even, so they pass the minimum benchmark

Tried Paladins first. It's a lot like Overwatch, which netted it a great deal of abuse around release - but it actually started beta on PC years ago, multiple years before Overwatch even existed, so it's strange to see just how similar it has turned out (one assumes they must have made it closer after everyone expressed their surprise Overwatch wasn't going to be free-to-play, providing them with a market opportunity).

It seems perfectly competent in most respects, except one - controls. As it has cross-play with PC, it's a mouse-and-keyboard shooter and it shows; to preserve fairness the game has no aim assist, and unlike something like Splatoon it was never designed around being played on a controller, so I find it really difficult to hit anything. I'm sure there are those who will love it, but even in the shooting-range practice area it's a real struggle to line up accurate shots, so I doubt I could get into it.

Tried SMITE second, and it fairs much better. SMITE is also a PC port of a MOBA-type game, but its spin on the idea is that it's played in third-person and controls a bit like a third-person action game (it isnt quite Monday Night Combat but it's like a halfway house). This actually works pretty well because you don't need to aim up or down outside of special moves (the arenas are flat). The problem this one faces is that the original game had quite a few controls, so there's a bit of using the sR and sL buttons as "shift" buttons which feels a bit unwieldy.

SMITE's been probably the third-most successful MOBA game online since the rise of this genre, and it's certainly the most popular to deviate so far from the base formula for these games, so it has quite a following. Players play as various mythological gods; Thor, Bastet, Anubis and such - though something weird is that it also features Hindu gods as playable characters... I mean, I don't know much about Hinduism so maybe this is totally fine in that culture. Also SMITE has a good monetisation approach; it has a single purchase where you buy all of the characters in one go which is currently ~£24 - I say "currently" because it goes up in price each time they add more. However, if you buy it, you will get every new character they add too, so if you like it, it's a good deal.

tl;dr, played Paladins and SMITE, liked SMITE.

Comment

New joycons up for pre order on Ninty store

Comment

Doom 3 runs beautifully on the Switch. I guess that should be expected given the age of the game but I'm probably not used to many games running this nicely on the system. I'd be curious to see a comparison with the original to see if anything was lost along the way. I have a memory of the lighting on enemies being more extreme, making them look more solid, but it's possible that I'm wrong. Anyway, this looks lovely.

Comment

So is no one playing Fire Emblem? I figured there'd be a thread by now.

Comment

I'm getting mine tomorrow, I'll open a thread when I start.

Comment

I got mine but am waiting till I have my 24 hour plane journey on Sunday to start it. Unless RE4 gets in the way...

Comment

For those who missed out from GAME or ShopTo or NOUKS, etc., Very are taking pre-orders for the Link’s Awakening LE for £60.

Discover fashion, home, tech & more online with a choice of ways to pay and next day delivery with click & collect. Download our app for exclusive offers

Comment

Working...
                                X