• Show
Clear All

When you getting a QL? *nudge nudge*

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      When you getting a QL? *nudge nudge*
      On the list, to go with an Amiga and thats me done for the retro systems

Comment

So i was after a second official 1019 gamecube memory card, £21 and several weeks later from videogameplus off ebay this turns up.

Yay i thought, till i opened the package, immediately the plastic feels off the moulding is crap and it doesnt fit together perfectly plus the included labels were glossy instead of satin finish. So i took a triwing to it and sure enough my intuition was right a ****ing fake card, i'm pretty sure nintendo don't do glob top epoxy on their cards my original one is on the bottom. So now i have to deal with the seller and try and get my money back just how i wanted to end the week grr.

Be careful out there if anyone is wanting 1019 cards as it seems there's still fakes all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          Yay i thought, till i opened the package, immediately the plastic feels off the moulding is crap and it doesnt fit together perfectly plus the included labels were glossy instead of satin finish. So i took a triwing to it and sure enough my intuition was right a ****ing fake card, i'm pretty sure nintendo don't do glob top epoxy on their cards my original one is on the bottom. So now i have to deal with the seller and try and get my money back just how i wanted to end the week grr. Be careful out there if anyone is wanting 1019 cards as it seems there's still fakes all over the place.
          Yeah, the packaging logos are just ever slightly off, from the top picture. Fake memory cards and cartridge games are sadly pretty standard these days. Had a fake PS3 controller from an Amazon seller some time ago.

Comment

So I used the last of the money i made from selling my wonderswan games on this...

Comment

Well at least you spent the money on one of the finest video games ever created

Comment

Cheers , i know , only splashed out because i got daft money for radiantsilversword and a few others i had on the wonderswan that i bought on a whim years ago.

Comment

128MB GeForce FX 5200: Well known for being one of the first DirectX 9 cards and running games that supported it like absolute garbage. I played through Far Cry on one of these way back when

They're great for DX8 and below though and super cheap so I've purchased one again. My 6800GT has too many issues in Windows 98 and the drivers that it uses are too new, breaking all kinds of compatability with older 9x games. Plus it's noisey.
                  The stuttering in Baldurs Gate II is gone now, Sanitarium is glitch free and Colin Mcrae Rally 2 is just...

Comment

The FX5200 was awfully slow even back on release, but I guess as you say it can be decent enough for older titles. I remember buying a FX5600 and discovering it was actually a bit slower than my Geforce 3! Thoroughly disappointing range of cards.

Comment

Absolutely, that entire generation of cards was just a mess for Nvidia, ATI ate their lunch. At least they've found their niche now though as the last reliable 9x cards

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

128MB GeForce FX 5200: Well known for being one of the first DirectX 9 cards and running games that supported it like absolute garbage. I played through Far Cry on one of these way back when

They're great for DX8 and below though and super cheap so I've purchased one again. My 6800GT has too many issues in Windows 98 and the drivers that it uses are too new, breaking all kinds of compatability with older 9x games. Plus it's noisey.
                        The stuttering in Baldurs Gate II is gone now, Sanitarium is glitch free and Colin Mcrae Rally 2 is just...
                        I remember getting a FX5600 and being pretty disappointed with its performance in half life 2. With a bit of tweaking it wasn't too bad on Doom3 though. Should've went for a Ati 9600pro which i believe was the competition at the time. What are other specs on your older pc out of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                          I remember getting a FX5600 and being pretty disappointed with its performance in half life 2. With a bit of tweaking it wasn't too bad on Doom3 though. Should've went for a Ati 9600pro which i believe was the competition at the time. What are other specs on your older pc out of interest?
                          I would have killed for a 9600/9700/9800 back then.

The PC has the following:

Motherboard: Abit KTA7
                          CPU: Athlon XP2100+
                          RAM: 512MB SDRAM
                          PCI GPU: x2 12MB Voodoo 2 in SLI
                          AGP GPU: 128MB GeForce FX 5200
                          ISA Soundcard: Soundblaster 16 (currently out while I mess around with the Aopen soundcard below in Windows and DOS)
                          PCI Soundscard: AOPEN AW744L II (DOS support with this card is impressive, well worth looking into if your motherboard has no ISA slots and you want to play DOS games)
                          HDD: 120GB SSD via a cheap IDE to SATA convertor running Windows 98SE
                          Monitor: 21" Dell Trinitron

To be honest it's kind of buckling under it's own weight. It has a nice 400W Corsair PSU but it only supplies 18A on the 5V rail and these motherboards pull everything from the 5V. I've had to disconnect some items like the soundblaster, floppy drive and CD-ROM for it to boot. I can install and run stuff using USB floppy and DVD-Rom drives but it's not a long term solution.

It's been shelved for the moment but I'm toying with the idea of building something close to my first PC. I've got a PII 233MHz CPU stowed away and really just need a motherboard and case. I'd love to mess around and put a similar machine through its paces.
                          Last edited by Cepp; 11-09-2019, 21:33.

Comment

I’ve been looking into building a windows 98 machine just for the fun of it. The Power supply issue puts me off going down the Athlon route but the idea of a pentium 4 doesn’t appeal too much either. That leaves just a pentium 3 really. Seems like a minefield for different motherboards and supported processors though.

That seems like a cracking setup for the graphics cards you have. I assume you can just swap to glide mode in games and the voodoo cards will take over. I’ve been messing about with a pentium 133 recently but can’t for the life of me get an old Radeon 7000 to co-operate in that machine.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                              I’ve been looking into building a windows 98 machine just for the fun of it. The Power supply issue puts me off going down the Athlon route but the idea of a pentium 4 doesn’t appeal too much either. That leaves just a pentium 3 really. Seems like a minefield for different motherboards and supported processors though.

That seems like a cracking setup for the graphics cards you have. I assume you can just swap to glide mode in games and the voodoo cards will take over. I’ve been messing about with a pentium 133 recently but can’t for the life of me get an old Radeon 7000 to co-operate in that machine.
                              Yeah it's pretty seamless, you just need to make sure you have the passthrough cable connected.

It definitely takes a bit of research and you want to make sure it can play everything you want. Nothing worse than putting a vintage PC together and then eyeing that one game just out of reach.

Check out the Vogons Systems Specs forum to get ideas for parts, there's a lot of builds over there to put you on the right track.
                              Last edited by Cepp; 11-09-2019, 22:26.

Comment

Well now looky here, looks like we got ourselves a city boy!

Comment

Working...
                                X