Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Man's Sky from Hello Games (HAS to be seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think players have cottoned onto the fact this update hasn't really changed the fundamental issues with the game loop. The first few hours are quite enjoyable (I've long said this), it's just those first few hours show you everything the game has to offer and it just becomes a slog, battling against the mechanics of the game after that.

In fact, the peak this time didn't reach as high as the previous update

Last edited by MartyG; 15-08-2019, 08:29.

Comment

Yeah, same as anything like this, if you get into it, you really get into it.
      Some people can play the same game for years and never tire of it.
      I think this is the same and since the people who don't like it have naffed off, it seems to have a really pleasant and positive community around it.

Deffo agree with the game loop, though, Martino. If you can't get passed that, you may as well move on.

Credit where's it's due, though, this is a monumental achievement for such a small team (about 25).

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Movement uses a combination of face buttons for incremental twists, but mainly left Move thumb that produces an arc that shows where you'll move to and you teleport there. There's no real restrictions of that arc, so if there's a floating rock above you with in reach, you can move onto it - something I did as an experiment.
        You can change this in the options. I changed it right away to smooth movement; now my turns are smooth and you move by holding the left Move thumb button and pointing your left hand, like in Raw Data. It works really well, though it might give some people motion sickness.

The game didn't look any more blurry than any other VR game and the original game was never high-res, with almost cartoony environments.

By the end of the night, I'd fixed my ship, built some stuff, left the planet and built a wooden shack.
        Yeah, I got to around the same place (I was in the process of building the shack).

It was a great experience for me as I've never played it before, so my very first go was in VR. I was on it for nearly four hours!

Comment

Credit where's it's due, though, this is a monumental achievement for such a small team (about 25).
          Credit for continuing to improve the game and not charging for the updates as many publishers would have done, but perhaps this is out of guilt for hoodwinking so many people when it was first released in a state that was far from what was originally promised

Comment

Yeah, same as anything like this, if you get into it, you really get into it.
            Some people can play the same game for years and never tire of it.
            I think this is the same and since the people who don't like it have naffed off, it seems to have a really pleasant and positive community around it.

Deffo agree with the game loop, though, Martino. If you can't get passed that, you may as well move on.

This is it, the type of game it is will appeal to someone or it won't. I have yet to try the extra challenge of permadeath or actually unlock every component needed to build a proper base and make it look nice. I'm already past 100 hours and i'm still not bored i have still yet to get a decent frigate going or even go hunting for a nicer ship still need to get an S rank multitool. The new cooking element has already had me out hunting ingredients the nexus challenges are also fun although with no friends they are hard as i don't do online gaming so im tackling them on my own even though the games says not to lol.

I enjoy the exploration, each planet is a few hours exploration even more fun when you find an anomaly planet as they are usually stunning to look at and some have high sentinel security so it's great for killing the crap out of them to get the various parts. This and subnautica ended up games that totally hooked me i love been flung into an alien enviroment with barely nothing and then exploring and crafting while trying to survive. Although the extreme planets in NMS were a challenge as i was stuck on one till i got enough fuel to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Credit for continuing to improve the game and not charging for the updates as many publishers would have done, but perhaps this is out of guilt for hoodwinking so many people when it was first released in a state that was far from what was originally promised
              To be fair, also, the game made an ungodly amount of money and had a tiny development team, on the basis of promising a game which wasn't there (I'm playing it for the first time so I don't know specifically how much was "missing" but certainly I saw the controversy from a distance). Their extra years of development will barely have chipped into that pile of money, so it's only right that they continued to update the game for free.

Still, they could have just wound up the company and retired to Barbados.

Comment

They stand out thats for sure as there a load of companies that release broken garbage who promise to fix the bugs and never do and then move on to the next £50 broken pile of crap which idiot gamers just lap up and allow them to get away with it. It's quie refreshing seeing one actually support the game they made and try to undo some of the wrongs but i have seen a lot of gamers online who seem to be happy but some are still super salty from the hype that never became the game and others will never ever be satisfied, i would piss myself laughing if somewhere there is a moon on a giant stick to appease them picky gamers lol.

The amount of gaming they added in for free is crazy they could have easily charged for this VR update yet it was totally free, this is now one of the PSVR upper tier VR games. For £15 i have gotten way more gaming out of it than a lot of games hell i'd have been happy at full cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  retired to Barbados.
                  Jamaica? No, she went of her own accord. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    They stand out thats for sure as there a load of companies that release broken garbage who promise to fix the bugs and never do and then move on to the next £50 broken pile of crap which idiot gamers just lap up and allow them to get away with it.
                    That's why I mentioned about NMS making so much money; for the developer, due to having a small team and meteoric sales, there's no business risk in providing 2-3 years of free support. A middling game which barely pays back its dev cost is a different situation. It's just good to see that they've gone through with it.

Comment

Hello Games are putting out a hot fix today for a few bugs that have been identified in the update. That's a quick turn around.

Comment

I think there's a middle ground between Sean Murray's excited hyperbole (this was a big step up from Joe Danger!), public expectations (just look at this thread title!) and Sony letting people get excited about something they imagined was amazing.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Skip to 1:40 in this 2014 interview and Murray specifically says that the game won't have everything at launch and plan to work on it for years. If it had been snapped up my Microsoft, it probably would have been put as "Early Access", but Sony took over, they have no such plan and wanted to sell it at full RRP.

Remember the Reddit thread about the guy who bought a pre-release copy and completed it in a day?
                        They've come a long way!

Comment

There are plenty of interviews where Murray promised the earth, moon, sun and the rest of stars, so pulling out a tiny clip from a single interview is hardly representative of Murray's PR blitz. It's a very well documented part of gaming history.

Comment

can you use dual shock in vr ar are you stuck to move controllers?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              It's a very well documented part of gaming history.
                              For me, it's that bit where the guy was asked if the game had synchronous multiplayer, and he looked like a politician who had been asked a factual question they clearly don't want to answer. He didn't give much of an answer, when he must have been thinking, by that point, "not at launch, potentially in the future - but will we lose sales if I say that?".

The only sympathy I have for the guy is if he had been gagged by Sony, and coached on what he could and couldn't say... But that's being generous.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                can you use dual shock in vr ar are you stuck to move controllers?
                                You can use both. You can even switch midway if you want; use the moves for on foot and pick up the DS4 for flight.

Comment

Working...
                                X