Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because my old 63" 1080p plasma looked great (better - I think, hard to be sure - than any LCD sets I've seen including 4k) ; as good as I need, and I reckon that IF I could get hold of one of those it'd be cheaper than an equivalent sized 4K OLED. I wouldn't know where to start looking for such a beast though. Also, is this just a really bad idea? I don't want to pay OLED prices and have to sit in a darkened room to watch TV. What tech should I be looking for? HALP!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      What I really want is a 65" 1080p plasma I think. But i don't want to buy a 2nd hand TV...
      I still remember the day I turned down a mint ZT60 with only 1400hrs on it....

Comment

Because my old 63" 1080p plasma looked great (better - I think, hard to be sure - than any LCD sets I've seen including 4k) ; as good as I need, and I reckon that IF I could get hold of one of those it'd be cheaper than an equivalent sized 4K OLED. I wouldn't know where to start looking for such a beast though. Also, is this just a really bad idea? I don't want to pay OLED prices and have to sit in a darkened room to watch TV. What tech should I be looking for? HALP!
        Plenty of plasmas in the classifieds at AVForums. Thing is they'll all be a fair age by now and cost more to repair than LCDs. Modern top end VA panel LCDs have caught plasmas in terms of black levels with the caveat that they can't sustain that when there are other pixels to illuminate.
        OLEDs are great and don't need to be viewed in the dark. Although HDR stuff is designed for a dark viewing environment to get the best effect. The prices are really dropping on them now. Wait until the back end of the year into the new year and you should be able to pick up a 65" OLED for circa £1200.

Comment

OLED is quite a bit brighter than Plasma and comes with the primary things that plasma people wanted.

You’d be looking at about 1900 for a 2018 mode OLED from LG

Comment

A friend of mine picked up a 65" 2018 LG OLED from Costco a few months back. IIRC it was about £1200.

Comment

I can’t really setup a room to benefit hugely from an OLED. I also believe our teenagers would leave a static image on the screen for days at a time without giving it a second thought so I’m gonna go for the best non OLED 65” under a grand I think. I also need a uhd player because the Xbox one is awful at this. Finally I’d like the tv to have an audio return channel that doesn’t lag so badly that it’s unwatchable. That last requirement is a tough one to know about beforehand so if anyone knows where I might find out compatibility details like that I’d love to know!!

Comment

What do you find unacceptable about UHD playback on the Xbox?

Comment

Locks up, lip sync issues unless I use stereo output and video audio glitches during playback. Any one of those is crap, and not something I’ve ever had an issue with when using blu rays on a ps3 or 4 but to have all 3 is just garbage. I have all 3 of those issues on both the (only) uhds I have, Wonder Woman and The Martian.

Back to TVs I went into curry’s to compare all the tech and managed to see OLED, QLED and regular LED side by side. The good news for my wallet is that neither I, nor my girlfriend, nor the other couple that were doing the same comparison, could see any difference. The source in all cases was a 4K demo source. So, I’m gonna go for a cheapo 2019 LG I think at £550 for a 55”

I have no way of knowing whether there will be any hdmi arc lip sync issues with my Sonos Beam so just crossing my fingers on that one.

Btw, the Xbox one has lip sync issues even through optical direct to the Sonos, so hdmi arc is not the culprit in this case.

Comment

So whats the current best budget option for 4k tvs and gaming? best refresh rate etc?

Comment

What's your budget?

Comment

Nothing over 1k. Though would all depend on PS5 gen playing 4k at decent frame rates to be honest, if not i wont bother as my Sony 1080p has good colour depth & decent refresh rate.

Trying to get an idea of what models are good for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          What do you find unacceptable about UHD playback on the Xbox?
                          Note: do not read the below if you are enjoying UHD Blu-ray on your Xbox One.

When I first started authoring UHD BDs, I had to test a sample disc on just about every player on the market, after it came back from manufacturing. I almost had to purchase a brand new pair of underpants because it turns out that the Xbox One has a bug where every 20 minutes or so it will repeat the previous frame. So instead of showing 1 2 3 4 5, it shows 1 2 3 3 5. Of course I didn't know this was a player bug at the time, I was relieved when I put in some other discs and they all did the same thing. So if you're sensitive to that, that's a strike against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post

When I first started authoring UHD BDs, I had to test a sample disc on just about every player on the market, after it came back from manufacturing. I almost had to purchase a brand new pair of underpants because it turns out that the Xbox One has a bug where every 20 minutes or so it will repeat the previous frame. So instead of showing 1 2 3 4 5, it shows 1 2 3 3 5. Of course I didn't know this was a player bug at the time, I was relieved when I put in some other discs and they all did the same thing. So if you're sensitive to that, that's a strike against it.
                            What UHD player do you recommend Lyris?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post

Why hasn't this been fixed FFS. So stupid of Sony not to support UHD on PS4; I bet they'd have had something that works.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                What UHD player do you recommend Lyris?
                                Panasonic do good work. One of the players in my home setup is a Panasonic 820 and that works very nicely, and it's in the sweet spot between expensive high-end player and cheap rattly thing. And unlike Sony players it automatically goes into Dolby Vision mode if, and only if, you're playing one of those discs (Sony make you manually switch it on and off for the best results).

Comment

Working...
                                X