Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow - big fan of this but the last season didn’t click. It started well enough with Oliver in prison, but the whole sister thing lacked cohesion.

Supergirl - after plugging through previous seasons, I quite enjoyed this one. Lex was a good addition and I enjoyed the premise more than I thought.

Flash - same as Supergirl. I’ve been underwhelmed recently but I thoroughly enjoyed the Nora arc. I wish they’d give Tom Cavanagh more to do, though. These multi-character roles end up being throwaway when they’re reset every season. Even he looked bored with the Sherloque role.

Comment

Big Little Lies: Season 02
      The latest adventures of The Real Housewives continues, this second run giving us a good performance from Meryl Streep but little else. Lots of sub-plots that are just boring old soap fodder and a focus on a child custody case which is as exciting as it sounds. The third season is teased in a nonsensical cliffhanger that will lead into either a depressing end for the show or yet another of the shows many examples of how being rich and white gets you off for anything.

Comment

You binged season 2 after hating season 1? I enjoyed Big Little Lies. It is the highest budgeted and most beautifully shot soap opera ever. It is mostly absurd, with great acting.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          Arrow - big fan of this but the last season didn’t click. It started well enough with Oliver in prison, but the whole sister thing lacked cohesion.

Supergirl - after plugging through previous seasons, I quite enjoyed this one. Lex was a good addition and I enjoyed the premise more than I thought.

Flash - same as Supergirl. I’ve been underwhelmed recently but I thoroughly enjoyed the Nora arc. I wish they’d give Tom Cavanagh more to do, though. These multi-character roles end up being throwaway when they’re reset every season. Even he looked bored with the Sherloque role.

Binned all three together with Legends after a half dozen episodes of each this season, just got boring and repetitive.

Elementary - final season, and sad to see this go, only 13 episodes, they could easily have fleshed the main story ark out to 20+ as it seemed slightly rushed, still enjoyed it though.

Comment

It was a condition of getting the missus to watch The Boys as she's feeling burned out by superhero related shows. Worked out well enough for me because last night we finished that too and...

The Boys: Season 01
            Really enjoyed it! Even the missus did! You could see the way events and turns in the story would pan out in advance of when it happened but it didn't stop it from being really compelling, I don't think there were any characters I disliked which is impressive given the dark turns many of them take along the way too. Happy it's getting a second run as there's plenty of story left in the tank too.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              It was a condition of getting the missus to watch The Boys as she's feeling burned out by superhero related shows. Worked out well enough for me because last night we finished that too and...

The Boys: Season 01
              Really enjoyed it! Even the missus did! You could see the way events and turns in the story would pan out in advance of when it happened but it didn't stop it from being really compelling, I don't think there were any characters I disliked which is impressive given the dark turns many of them take along the way too. Happy it's getting a second run as there's plenty of story left in the tank too.
              I got my missus to watch it too, which was great!
              It was touch and go after the first five minutes "That's horrific!"

The story had more twists for me because it differs from the comic quite a lot as the series continues.

For example, they don't talk about why Mother's Milk got his name...

Comment

The comic is excellent.

Comment

Working Moms: Season 02
                  Some switch around this second run which both improves and spoils the show at the same time. It still has remarkably little to do with the characters being parents, it's far more focused on their jobs and personal relationships. One of the four characters has been almost entirely written out of the show, replaced by her ex-husband (which is an improvement to be honest). The second is a lesbian who suffered post-natal in the first season, not this one though - here she is a magnet to a world seemingly filled to the brim with sex obsessed lesbians everywhere she goes - her arc is as simple as getting a house and sleeping with a hugely unrealistic amount of women which mis-sells the character and how S1 unfolded for her immensely. Due to this the focus is very strongly on the other two, the stern one also has a fairly redundant arc for the most part but it manages to round it off nicely enough at the end. The central main character gets the most to do but it also suffers from a bit of predictability because it's one of those situations where if a plotline can have an even happen they can't not run with it even if some threads or avenues would be best left alone. In the end, the intro toddler session sequences remain the best parts of the show, it's overall solid but still finding itself it feels.

Comment

Altered Carbon: Season 01
                    Not finished as such but wrapping up and... not really a fan. It looks great but I don't find the story or characters to be very compelling, it' was initially odd that they glossed so quickly over how he wakes up after 250 years yet zero technological or social advancement has taken place meaning he can hit the ground running. I guess the wrap up will decide if I bother with a second season of this but as things stand... meh.

Comment

Working Moms: Season 03
                      Missus was keen to see the third run so we've blitzed it and are now up to date. Some good moments but again doubles down on cutting storylines or outright abandoning characters to focus on irrelevant asides or career ambitions. With little scope for a reset back to the original outlook for the show this needs a wrap up set into its mind.

Comment

I have to wonder how many hours of television you watch a day...

Comment

We've only been able to crack Working Moms so easily because it's only 20mins per episode, 13 eps per season so you can blitz half a season in 2 hours. Altered Carbon I watch in bits throughout the day on my phone during work breaks etc (when not Switching), it's been a slog though.

Comment

I really struggled with Altered Carbon. I loved the world and the look and feel but the main guy was terrible and there was a huge level of seemingly unintentional misogyny running through the whole thing, as in they weren't even using it to make a point - it felt like the views of the writer just bleeding out onto the screen.

The only thing that might get me into season 2 is that the lead role is recast because he's in a different body. If they get someone with some personality, it might get better.

Comment

From what I've read the lead in Season 2 is Anthony Mackie (Falcon from the MCU)

Comment

Scream: Season 03
                                This sat on a shelf at the production company for 2 years because the network couldn't find a home for it so we assumed it would be the final season because by now the annual crew would be long gone. It's effectively a reboot, a new cast and plot ignoring the first two runs. Makes no difference though, the reason this was noteworthy during production was that it was taken over by Mary J Blige because - reasons -. She stunt cast MJ's daughter in the opening scene that retells Drew Barrymore's opener poorly, some appalling acting from so-called rap musicians etc... and herself in a pointless role as a characters mother too. The end result is a weak season that manages to bore despite only being 6 episodes long, immensely predictable and a wet fart of a whimper for the overall franchise to close out on.

Legends of Tomorrow: Season 03
                                Man oh man, the show effectively continues to be the bottom of the barrel of superhero TV. The cheesey nature is poorly delivered, the one or two decent actors are wasted, the scripting is weak, production values poor and villains and several key characters continue to rely on being a dumping ground for what the other DCW shows have burnt up and used. The sole redeeming factor in this run and the main reason for not pulling the plug as a viewer has been the introduction of Constantine as a regular. His parts are so much better and highlight how reviving his own show on the CW and axing Legends would have been so much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X