Hyperkin Retron Ultra HD - Nintendo 64 Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperkin Retron Ultra HD - Nintendo 64 Clone

Hyperkin will be attending E3 2019 next week with a prototype of the Retron Ultra HD.

The clone console allows owners to plug in their Nintendo 64 cartridges and to run them outputting via HDMI on your HDTV.

It's unknown whether it will happen as yet but some early demo's of the unit have used a Hyperkin controller that matches the design of the Nintendo 64 original controller but swaps the analogue stick out for one that matches that used on the controller for the Gamecube.

Outputting HDMI - that’s about as retro as an OLED.....

Comment

Hyperkin = Bollocks. Surely we know this by now.

Comment

With nothing else on the market I can see it being popular though.

N64 doesn’t do anything for me but I always enjoy checking these newer clone systems out.

Comment

I’ll be interested to see what the picture quality is like from a direct feed and what screen options and filters are offered.

Comment

FYI @Hyperkin's N64 Clone system is definitely using Mupen64 emulation. It's above average but not perfect (look at the tv screen above the tunnel) . N64 emulation is not perfect and this is the reason why I believe there wont be an official N64 classic for a while yet

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Hyperkin = Bollocks. Surely we know this by now.
              Must admit I love their Supaboy now that the correct ratio can be selected.

Comment

Yeah, barring an outstanding review I’ll pass on this.

The chances of Nintendo doing an N64 Classic Mini anytime soon look very slim so perhaps worth waiting to see if Analogue Interactive do something instead à la Super Nt/Mega Sg?
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 06-06-2019, 07:34.

Comment

Meh, rom dumper emu machine. I think were getting spoiled with the SD/NT and nothing but perfection will do from now on.

Comment

If they create profiles for every N64 game, to get the emulation working reasonably well, then it might be a decent product. They'd really have to fine tune the emulation.

Nintendo got the emulation of lots of their N64 games running perfectly on the Wii, so I will be hoping they release an N64 Mini.

It's a shame that N64 emulation is so problematic.

Comment

garbage. I'll wait for Analogue to do an FPGA one

Comment

Won’t be any time soon, another decade most likely.

Comment

I'm not interested in Nintendo 64 emulation whatsoever, unless something comes from Analogue or possibly Nintendo themselves.
                          Until then, I have a gorgeous SteelSticks64 controller, and my Framemeister does a lovely job of upscaling my 1996 JP unit to an LED thankyouverymuch.

Comment

Now there's a system which has aged horribly. When I look at most old Saturn, SFC, or MD games I see beautiful pixel art at 60fps. When I look at old N64 games I see a smear of 64*64 textures over the lowest poly geo in gaming at 20-30fps.

Mario 64 and a couple of others hold up, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                              Mario 64 and a couple of others hold up, but that's about it.
                              Most N64 games were quite terrible back in the day, but at least a few were something special. It's a system with a tiny amount of good to great games.

Games that I still enjoy:

1. Mario 64(Looks really nice and quite stunning using a 'de-blur' N64.)
                              2. Wave Race 64
                              (The frame-rate is far from ideal, but it manages to play really well. I really like the graphics.)
                              3. F-Zero X
                              (I like how abstract the game world looks -- and the 60fps action is intense.)
                              4. Star Fox 64
                              (Nintendo did a great job with the graphics and sound. A really fun game.)
                              5. Diddy Kong Racing
                              (I liked it far more than MK64. Some very nice graphics and music.)
                              6. Pilotwings 64
                              (It's a clunky game but the atmosphere draws me in.)
                              7. Doom 64
                              (An impressive and fun version of Doom tailored for the N64 hardware.)
                              8. Excitebike 64
                              (It's a shame it came out so late[2000] because it plays really well.)

I've never felt the need to buy an N64 Everdrive.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-06-2019, 07:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X