Retro|Spective 094: Sam & Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 094: Sam & Max

Stick em buddy, you've been collared by...

Mainline Entry 01 - Sam & Max: Hit the Road
    Formats:
    PC
    Travelling the US in search of a missing Bigfoot, Sam and Max are crack detectives in another Lucasarts point and click classic. Adapting the comic series, the game stood and still does stand as one of the most successful transitions of a non-gaming ip into the medium. With a sly sense of humour the game met critical acclaim and was another commercial hit for the genre during its peak heyday though a sequel would struggle to come together.

Mainline Entry 02 - Sam & Max: Save the World
    Formats:
    PC, Wii and Xbox 360
    After a true sequel failed to release with Lucasarts cancelled Freelance Police, some of the developers moved on to form Telltale games and these early days saw the company seek to continue some of their old series. The result, amongst others, was this follow up that brought Sam and Max to the 3D age but retained the classic point and click style. Released episodically, Save the World helped drive the idea of episodic releases being successful and finally brought the pair back to gamers with another well received title.

Mainline Entry 03 - Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space
    Formats:
    PC, Wii, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360
    Two years later and Telltale moved quickly to get Sam and Max back in front of gamers. A year after the events of the previous game, Sam and Max are spurred back into action on a time travelling intergalactic tale when their pet goldfish turns evil.

Mainline Entry 04 - Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
    Formats:
    PC and Playstation 3
    Three years on and Sam and Max would face their final game. A sad milestone but still a wonder considering this was 17 years on from the original, players could directly control the two characters this time out but the structure of the game remained the same as ever. The game brought the tale to a natural conclusion that explained the true nature of Max and draws the curtain on the series with a bittersweet ending. Once again the game was well received but the genres popularity and S&M's revival hype was now played out as Telltale moved on to other things.

Share your thoughts and memories of Sam & Max

The intro is amazingly well done, from saving the damsel in distress right up until you get your assignment from the cat, it's just hit after hit after hit with the jokes. The voice acting is superb as well, I love the crazy scientist's voice actor. Nothing after that really sticks for me though. I can remember the circus, some tower thing and that's about it.

The Telltale games served their purpose back when the genre looked extinct but with the exception of one episode (can't remember which one), they were all pretty medicore.

Comment

I have only played the original and didn’t even know there were so many after that. The original is a true classic and always will be.

Comment

The original is the only one I haven't played but I enjoyed Telltale's run. The first one was decent, the second was too but not quite as strong, the last one had elements that felt like some corners were reigned in for costs but that final episode was brilliant and finished the series on a high note.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I have only played the original
          Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          The original is the only one I haven't played
          You complete me.

Comment

Well I've only played the original as well, and like all the other Lucasarts games of the time, loved it.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Clue for 095: It ends in high speed anti-gravity racing

Comment

I have the sequels on Steam, but have never actually attempted to play them. I sold my original big boxed first game a while ago, on here I think, which I bought on day one! Have played and finished this numerous times, including on the SCUMM emulator on the 3DS. The original is utterly brilliant in ever way.
                3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                X