Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S3M View Post
    Exhibition of Speeds that got released on the system.
    Such a bad game.

I still haven't got around to playing Millenium Racer, but it does look pretty good.

Comment

One game I remember hitting DC and getting attention yet me not connecting with was Fur Fighters

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Fur Fighters
        I remember it being quite a big thing on the Dreamcast scene, receiving lots of positive reviews. I've played it a few times and thought the graphics were nice. I definitely need to go back to it.

Comment

That's so weird. Beyond a vague recollection of the name, I have no memory of Fur Fighters being a thing of any note whatsoever. I googled it and it didn't even look familiar.

Comment

One game I remember hitting DC and getting attention yet me not connecting with was Fur Fighters
            I preferred the PS2 port since they updated the graphics to be all cel shaded. Much nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I have no memory of Fur Fighters being a thing of any note whatsoever.
              The magazines of the time were all over it, because it was developed by Bizarre Creations. There was a lot of hype surrounding it. Ended up getting good reviews. Then Bizarre created an updated version for the PS2 with cel-shaded graphics instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                I preferred the PS2 port since they updated the graphics to be all cel shaded. Much nicer.

The 'cel-shaded' style definitely looks cleaner. Was a very popular art style for a while across all sorts of genres.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Admittedly, usually the games don't get "finished"-finished, like they reach advanced alpha stage, perhaps early beta - so if you were to see them, they're fully playable, pretty much everything is there in some form... They're just buggy and things like the difficulty will be all over the place. It's usually around this point that the project coalesces to the point where anyone who plays it, even those not so good at making those kinds of leaps of logic, can see how the end result will be. Dangerous time for any project.
                  What you’re describing there is called a finished game these days.

Comment

Yep, I remember Wacky Racers being a regular shelf occupier as well in shops for ages and wondered why it was always around as it assumed someone was buying it.

One big hitter that never gets the Dreamcast connected acclaim it deserves due to how heavily ported it later was would be Resident Evil: Code Veronica. A bit like Resi 4 on Gamecube, it's simply taken as another entry now but at the time it was a hell of a console exclusive in the systems arsenal and I loved that first play of it.

Comment

I actually met up with one of the guys who worked on Fur Fighters (and then ported it to the iPhone) and the ex-Bizzare guys a few time back in Liverpool. Great bunch and even managed to ask a few questions about the game. https://dreamcastgaga.blogspot.com/2...interview.html

The game is very much of its time though, right down to the 90s pop culture references.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        What you’re describing there is called a finished game these days.

Comment

One big hitter that never gets the Dreamcast connected acclaim it deserves due to how heavily ported it later was would be Resident Evil: Code Veronica.
                          Yeah, it was a big thing that lots of Resident Evil fans really enjoyed. I had a friend who really liked the series and he said Code Veronica was quite amazing. Definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves, which is strange.

Comment

I have a feeling part of that is just timing and the general lack of progression in the series. While still excellent, in so many ways, RE2 was like a remake of the first (same beats throughout most of it) and RE3 was then built on RE2 and also shared very similar beats so I feel there could just be a bit of a lull happening when CV arrived. It kind of needed that kick up the rear end that 4 would later give the series. But really, I think the biggest factor is probably that it was called Code Veronica and not RE4. I think it allowed people to write it off as an unnecessary spin off.

It was fantastic playing RE in actual 3D though and generally I thought it was excellent. Although I actually laughed out loud when it turned out to feature yet another mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I think the biggest factor is probably that it was called Code Veronica and not RE4. I think it allowed people to write it off as an unnecessary spin off.
                              Yeah; as an RE fan I find that RE4 casts a long shadow. If I'm going to replay an older title, it's either RE1, RE2 or RE4; but CV doesn't really get a look-in.

I loved the intro sequence at the time, balls-to-the-wall action that it is. It's funny that one of the RE movies actually re-uses it shot-for-shot with Milla Jovovich.

Comment

Code Veronica was my first Resident Evil game. I'd never fancied them previously; the controls just looked really awkward. But, it was the final days of the Dreamcast and I was looking for a few more games to play before succumbing to the PS2. Turns out I was right about the controls, but I loved it all the same!

Being new to RE, I didn't realise I should be saving my best weapons for the bosses and after wasting lots of explosive ammo on zombies, I had to beat the boss in the aeroplane by hitting it with a crate over and over (whilst trying to tank manoeuvre around whilst waiting for the re-charge).

I remember it looked fantastic at the time. I was quite surprised when I went back to it a couple of years ago by how much it has dated (although it is close to 20 years old now).

Comment

Working...
                                X