No announcement yet.

Analogue Mega Sg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even know the std rate ... I was just surprised to see them stocking them

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
      I'm sure this has been asked, but has anyone noticed any genuine difference between this and say a pi running on a CRT with software emulation?
      I'm a bit late on this reply, but I use a real MD/MCD at home and have a Pi setup at a mate's house.

I really like the Pi, but MD/MCD emulation on it is a little bit of a weak point compared to some of the other systems it does. With the MD, everything runs more-or-less perfect that I can tell, but the sound emulation varies from being good (but a little bit different) to genuinely bad. It seems to depend on what sound driver the game uses - some are really shrill/discordant with loads of extra reverb that I know the real machine doesn't have. With the MCD it looks and sounds fine, but you get some noticeable bugs on games. An example is Snatcher - runs perfectly most of the time, but there's some timing-related bug where it'll consistently sit for about 30 seconds before it loads up text in some specific places. I was able to complete the game like this, but it wasn't ideal.

Another issue on the Pi if you're wanting to use a CRT is the only readily available plug-and-play option is composite video out the 3.5mm jack - as well as the drop in quality compared to RGB Scart, some CRTs don't like accepting 60Hz over composite in my experience (even if they'll happily accept 60Hz over RGB Scart). I understand there is some kind of RGB Scart solution for the Pi, but I don't think it's very readily available and requires some messing about. Not knocking the Pi though, it's a great little machine, but MD stuff still has some way to go I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        Another issue on the Pi if you're wanting to use a CRT is the only readily available plug-and-play option is composite video out the 3.5mm jack - as well as the drop in quality compared to RGB Scart, some CRTs don't like accepting 60Hz over composite in my experience (even if they'll happily accept 60Hz over RGB Scart). I understand there is some kind of RGB Scart solution for the Pi, but I don't think it's very readily available and requires some messing about. Not knocking the Pi though, it's a great little machine, but MD stuff still has some way to go I think.
        Pi2Scart works great and is really easy to setup

Custom OS for the Pi2Scart are here
        Last edited by Jamie; 01-10-2019, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
          Pi2Scart works great and is really easy to setup
          http://arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma-Pi2S...CART::264.html
          That looks great! I'll get that for mine, cheers!

Comment

If not, Rgbpi is a good alternative. Does exactly the same thing just a different adapter and a custom OS.
            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

With the MD, everything runs more-or-less perfect that I can tell, but the sound emulation varies from being good (but a little bit different) to genuinely bad.
              I've read that using 'genesis_plus_gx' gives accurate performance. People used to use the far from ideal 'PicoDrive' because it runs well on old Pi machines, but since the Pi 3 it's no longer needed.

I've played all sorts of Mega Drive games(Sonic 1 & 2, Alien Storm, Thunder Force 3 etc...) on my Pi 3B and the audio sounds fine using 'genesis_plus_gx.

Comment

RGB-pi has been available for sometime now, outputting RGB to a crt with a custom scart lead from the pi’s GPIO pins. (Easily purchased from the website). It a doodle to set up and the 16bit emulation seems spot on, including the MCD. It’s run everything I have thrown at it - indistinguishable from the real hardware. (I have tested over 40 games), the retroarch core can output interger scaling of super-resolutions to a crt, which looks fantastic too.

It’s games from approx 1999/2000 that it badly struggles with.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I don't even know the std rate ... I was just surprised to see them stocking them
                  My STD rate is pretty much every skank gave me one.

Comment

i cant speak for the pi but on pc genesis plus gx has accurate audio only if you use the nuked ym2612 option with the low pass filter enabled. otherwise it defaults to mame's audio emulation which far less cpu intensive but also is too clean sounding. does the pi 4 now have a good enough cpu to use the nuked option?

Comment

I was just about to buy one of these when the thought "maybe I should get the Super NT as well" suddenly popped into my head. Why does my mind do this to me?!?!

I'm likely to get a Super NT sooner or later. Will I save a bit in customs fees buying them together over buying them separately?

Comment

You’ll save a bit.
                        VAT is 20% so regardless of if it’s $190 or $380, you’ll pay the 20% of the total. As far as I know, Analogue will only declare the actual value.

The difference comes with the sh!tty ‘admin fee’ that they stick on. If you get 2 packages you’ll pay the admin fee twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                          You’ll save a bit.
                          VAT is 20% so regardless of if it’s $190 or $380, you’ll pay the 20% of the total. As far as I know, Analogue will only declare the actual value.

The difference comes with the sh!tty ‘admin fee’ that they stick on. If you get 2 packages you’ll pay the admin fee twice.
                          Yeah, I was more thinking about the admin fee. My most hated part of importing! I'm probably stating the obvious, but the postage is cheaper buying them together as well. Haha, so tempted I'll just keep telling myself I was bound to buy them both eventually!

Comment

You'll save a bit if you get a 128mb Mister setup instead, around £220 gets you the same accurate FPGA hardware simulation except it does MD, SMS, GBA, NES, SNES, PC Engine, Neo Geo, Amiga, ST, etc plus everdrives for the lot?

This week we got the GBA, Sega CD is imminent, CPS1 and PSX are in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
                              You'll save a bit if you get a 128mb Mister setup instead, around £220 gets you the same accurate FPGA hardware simulation except it does MD, SMS, GBA, NES, SNES, PC Engine, Neo Geo, Amiga, ST, etc plus everdrives for the lot?

This week we got the GBA, Sega CD is imminent, CPS1 and PSX are in the works.
                              And it looks like a home made kit computer were as the Mega SG and Super NT look and feel like quality products. It also requires a bit of pissing about to set it up.

Comment

I agree it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the Analogues but they are not that bad:

Users are also starting to add them to old Gamecube, NES, etc shells, they look really nice if done right.

Setup has got a lot easier. After switch on you now simply configure your controller & connect to ethernet and run a script called "update.sh". Every console, arcade and computer core is downloaded automatically. Then add your roms.

Comment

Working...
                                X