No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is a really positive thing. They seem to be handled really nicely. Sure, maybe not absolutely perfectly so if that's what you're after and are going to check waveforms and frown at them then this isn't for you. But this is a cost-effective way to play these games in a really lovely little well-presented package with emulation that it seems will be as good as any normal person will need or ever spot and that's a great thing. I'm all for these mini systems, whether you call them novelty or not.

Comment

I find that they are nice little collectibles in themselves, dinky little consoles that hold a lot of charm. I’ve got a Famicom, Super Famicom and SNES Mini with a PC Engine Mini ready for next year. I wouldn’t class them as definitive retro experiences but for what they are they are great, and they are perfect to scratch that retro itch for the average punter.

Comment

Yep, very cool things.

Loads of influencers publishing their YouTube videos. However Spawn Wave confirmed that the US version includes an AC adapter. Not sure if that is widely known but I did think that's a nice touch even if you can power these in many different ways.

Comment

I don't think I ever really notice minor errors in emulation, it's just not a big deal to me any more. I just want a quick fix now and again and my RPi pretty much does all I need, I've just been suckered in by the form factor and packaging of this and the PCE Mini though, as it's a rose tinted glimpse back to a great time (possibly the greatest time for me) in gaming. I must admit I'm probably still going to keep using my RPi more than these though.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
            for the average gamer it’s great for that dose of nostalgia but for the enthusiast it might fall short of what they want.
            I'm an enthusiast and I found the SNES Mini to be perfect. Once I'd hacked it, and disabled anti-aliasing with the scanline option, I had a super cheap option for SNES gaming, with actual SNES controllers, on my HD TV, with sharp PVM type pixel perfect graphics (at the correct 8:7 ratio for SNES, not 4:3 like my Xbox SNES emulator), no noticeable input lag, and I'd say 95% accurate emulation on all the games I wanted to play (and had added to the machine). Some games had emu issues, but none of them were games I wanted to play, so i could accept it.

I will never go the Framemeister route with original hardware, because seriously, **** paying some eBay scalper £300 for a single SNES cartridge. They can go lick bins for all I care. I suppose I could get a flash cartridge for the SNES, but there's compatibility issues with that, whereas the SNES Mini had quality of life improvements. Also, the original hardware for these old systems now goes for a bomb.

I want dirt cheap options, with near perfect accuracy. Meh. Suppose I could just keep emulating the MD on my Xbox. I'm using an original Saturn pad with Xbox adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              They can go lick bins for all I care.
              Stay away from my bins!

Comment

More related merch, this leather wallet is actually pretty nice, rather tempted but it's not cheap at 6480yen

Comment

yucky

it's screams Toshihiro Nagoshi

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    More related merch, this leather wallet is actually pretty nice, rather tempted but it's not cheap at 6480yen

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...572_em_1p_0_ti
                    Tacky AF.

Comment

In a good way though, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Tacky AF.
                        So I can put you down for one then? (Tick)

Comment

So I can put you down for one then? (Tick)

Yeah....Nope.

You go knock yourself right out with it though.

Absolute tat.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 26-08-2019, 11:15.

Comment

Is it bad that I’m kind of tempted but 6000 yen for a wallet is pretty pricy that’s new game territory or even nearly the full cost of a md mini lol.

Comment

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...572_em_1p_0_ti
                              Looks like an old leather shaving kit bag I had 30 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                                yucky

it's screams Toshihiro Nagoshi

(please do not speak ill of our lord and saviour)

Comment

Working...
                                X