No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's that new Rise of Skywalker promo.

I have an awful suspicion that this film is going to be Star Wars: Greatest Hits but the shots look lovely. It's going to look pretty, that's for sure. I think now that the dust has settled on the reveal, I think the presence of

The Emperor

is about the hackiest of hack moves possible for the movies but who cares really? It's another Star Wars. If it's good, great. If not, what have we lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      It's another Star Wars. If it's good, great. If not, what have we lost?
      Fair. That being said, I think the discussion around a year from now (once the dust settles on this and The Mandalorian, and Disney+ is in full swing) will be over whether Disney and Star Wars benefited from the sale of the brand, longer-term.

It's fascinating, right? If you had told us in ~2006 that in the near future, Disney would own both Star Wars and Marvel, which would you have predicted to be the biggest success?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        If you had told us in ~2006 that in the near future, Disney would own both Star Wars and Marvel, which would you have predicted to be the biggest success?
        A year after Revenge of the Sith? I know where my money would have been and it's probably not what you're thinking. Honestly, I never thought we'd get good Star Wars ever again. It was run into the ground. That's why for me, any good Star Wars is a bonus, not a need or an expectation.

And Disney have already benefited by buying the brand. It could die today and it was worth it for them. I only have pangs of resentment because it's likely a major factor in us not getting Tron 3.

Comment

All of this Star Wars stuff looks pretty good. Pretty slick. Terribly competent, these Disney chaps. No rough edges though. It's almost too well done.

I'll be interested to see what The Mandalorian is like.

Comment

I will say this about the new star wars films and the Mandalorian... They look seriously polished. The fx are smooth as butter. Better than anything else.

Comment

I have what I'm hoping is a REALLY STUPID fantheory based on the new footage. Don't read if you're not watching the new footage. And please don't tell me this is what will actually happen in the movie because it would be really, really, really stupid.

STUPID FANTHEORY:

The Rey we see with the red lightsaber thing is a clone (she looks kind of different) and Rey was always a clone, hence lack of parents, and was part of some sort of Force-infused test programme which was designed to prepare for the main event: the cloning of the Emperor to bring him back.

I have never wanted to be wrong so much in my life.

Comment

I have what I'm hoping is a REALLY STUPID fantheory based on the new footage. Don't read if you're not watching the new footage. And please don't tell me this is what will actually happen in the movie because it would be really, really, really stupid.

STUPID FANTHEORY:

The Rey we see with the red lightsaber thing is a clone (she looks kind of different) and Rey was always a clone, hence lack of parents, and was part of some sort of Force-infused test programme which was designed to prepare for the main event: the cloning of the Emperor to bring him back.

I have never wanted to be wrong so much in my life.
                That makes far too much sense

It solves a fundamental problem a lot of people have with Rey after the last movie - that Awakens gave us the idea that she was someone lost, but of great unknown significance, whereas Last told us that she was sold off/abandoned by people who weren't of any importance. Her being a clone fixes this, because both of those things can simultaneously be true.

Also the Emperor does come back as a clone in the Expanded Universe, and we've already seen that while the new movies don't follow the EU, they have lifted things from it.

Still... Okay, I'm just gonna say it - if they go down that route, I'll really wonder why they didn't just keep the EU and do a version of the Heir to the Empire trilogy; making changes to account for the older core cast.

Also I would love an animated movie of Shadows of the Empire.

Comment

I read the Shadows of the Empire book back in the day and really enjoyed it.

Comment

I read the Shadows of the Empire book back in the day and really enjoyed it.
                    It was my favourite part of the whole franchise outside of the original movie trilogy. I had the book, the game, but also the audio-book - but unusually for an audiobook, that version also has a full orchestral score and sound effects, which really enhances the feel of it being like a movie.

The only other part I liked almost was much as the X-Wing series, as that was like "Star Wars does Top Gun" (though only the first four - after those, the original author took the main character off in another direction, and the series was given to a new author - I never liked those as much).

Comment

That theory clicks way too many boxes, I'm totally going to go into the film now expecting that to be the case. Especially if:

Rey ends up being cloned from Anakin's DNA - ergo 'Rise of the Skywalker'

In the wake of the release of the first trailer for “The Mandalorian” series on Disney+ on Friday, EW has now got a breakdown of some of the main characters of the show – many of whom can be glimpsed in the trailer. The series will launch with the service on November 12th and will […]

Some extra character details for The Mandalorian

Comment

Please stop telling me I might be right.

Comment

Comment

Please stop telling me I might be right.
                            I think you might be right...

Comment

I bet they have a fight where it’s like they’re just totally mirroring each other’s moves so they can’t get a hit in. Classic.
                              Last edited by wakka; 27-08-2019, 11:23.

Comment

No, it's a stupid idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X