Critics Club II: 56 - Jeff Goldblum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 56 - Jeff Goldblum

We were too preoccupied by whether we could vote that we didn't stop to think whether we should...

Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time
    California Split
    0%
    Next Stop, Greenwich Village
    0%
    Special Delivery
    0%
    Between the Lines
    0%
    Annie Hall
    0%
    Remember My Name
    0%
    Thank God It's Friday
    0%
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    0%
    Threshold
    0%
    The Big Chill
    0%
    The Right Stuff
    0%
    Into the Night
    0%
    Silverado
    0%
    Transylvania 6-5000
    0%
    The Fly
    0%
    Beyond Therapy
    0%
    Vibes
    0%
    Earth Girls Are Easy
    0%
    The Tall Guy
    0%
    The Mad Monkey
    0%
    Mister Frost
    0%
    Fathers & Sons
    0%
    Deep Cover
    0%
    Shooting Elizabeth
    0%
    Jurassic Park
    0%
    Hideaway
    0%
    Nine Months
    0%
    Powder
    0%
    The Great White Hype
    0%
    Independence Day
    0%
    Trigger Happy
    0%
    Jurassic Park II: The Lost World
    0%
    The Prince of Egypt
    0%
    Auggie Rose
    0%
    Chain of Fools
    0%
    One of the Hollywood Ten
    0%
    Perfume
    0%
    Cats & Dogs
    0%
    Igby Goes Down
    0%
    Dallas 362
    0%
    Spinning Boris
    0%
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    0%
    Mini's First Time
    0%
    Fay Grim
    0%
    Man of the Year
    0%
    Adam Resurrected
    0%
    The Switch
    0%
    Morning Glory
    0%
    Le Week-End
    0%
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    0%
    Mortdecai
    0%
    Independence Day: Resurgence
    0%
    Thor: Ragnarok
    0%
    Isle of Dogs
    0%
    Hotel Artemis
    0%
    The Mountain
    0%

Death Wish

Comment

It's trickier than I first thought, after seeing that list.

It's hard to separate his best film and best performance, so I'll meet you in the middle.
      Jurassic Park

It's one of the best films on that list and he does a brilliant performance that I think the film would miss if he weren't present.

Comment

Jeff Goldblum is so great. He is one of those actors who has made a career just being one part but who would complain? He's so entertaining. Very hard to pick a favourite. He often elevates films that might not be considered huge for him but he makes a big difference to. Like, he added so much to Thor Ragnarok. It's hardly a Goldblum film but it would be far less of a film without him.

The one that jumps out for me is actually The Tall Guy. In all honesty, I don't remember much about the film but it's the film where I really noticed Goldblum. Where I thought, this guy is really good. And if I remember correctly, it's largely his movie. Him and Thompson anyway. There are so many films on this list that I love but they're great films with him in them. This is his film. The Fly is his film too and he's great in it but, by its nature, it contains him a little.

I don't know. It's hard to choose here.

Comment

I voted for The Fly but in retrospect should've gone for Independence Day.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            Death Wish

NSFW:

Comment

Wow, he's been in some real ****e!

Has to be Jurassic Park really.

Comment

He definitely fits in that bubble of only ever really playing himself in everything and yet that never gets tired at all. My first memory of him in film is The Fly (though The Fly 2 sticks in my mind more for its ridiculousness) mostly due to seeing it at such an early age but Jurassic Park is the default next one as his personal style and delivery just lands every line, it's the same with Jurassic Park 2 which has always been a shakey sequel but would arguably fall apart with Goldblum at the centre keeping your eyes anchored with his deadpan 'told you so' delivery of warnings to the others. Independence Day is a big one too but I feel like he's less impactful here just because of the size of the cast leading to him not having quite the same impact as JP. I'm very pleased he's going to be in Jurassic Park VI

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  The Fly 2 sticks in my mind more for its ridiculousness
                  Off-topic but it makes me almost cry every time I think of the dog in that movie.

Comment

I mean, the original is pretty tough with bits falling off Brundle and the "cost me an arm and a leg", but yeah, the sight of that teleported dog in the sequel is harsh.

Comment

My main memory of The Fly 2 (I think it's an accurate one) is a scene near a lab where the Fly spits acid in a guys face, he collapses in agony as there's a really gory shot of his face melting off his skull as other scientists run over and one states 'I think he's going to be okay'

Comment

The Fly 2 has that guy getting his head crushed under a lift too. I saw it maybe 5 years ago and forgot how poor it was.

Anyway its got to be The Fly for Goldblum.

Comment

I liked his minuscule bit in Powder, but I really enjoyed his sleazy-drug cartel boss in Deep Cover. Haven't seen it since 1992 at the flicks, but I remember being impressed with how he managed to be quite menacing. Especially as the film stars Laurence Fishburne, who was peak menacing in 92.

Comment

Working...
                          X