PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
    Lets hope there is something worth buying this time. They need to up their game to take on epic.
    That's not really down to Steam though, it's the publishers / dev that decides how much they want to discount their game, if at all. When Epic offered discounts not authorised by the publishers, they got into flak over it.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      That's not really down to Steam though, it's the publishers / dev that decides how much they want to discount their game, if at all. When Epic offered discounts not authorised by the publishers, they got into flak over it.
      Still down to Steam to come up with the goods though.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        Still down to Steam to come up with the goods though.
        I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
          Well steam is stagnating a bit, and there are a load of challengers floating about now. They can't rest on their laurels anymore.

Comment

Anyone playing Disco Elysium? It's the first PC game in a long time that's really got my attention (from strong reviews, short clips and screenshots etc), and with there being no Mac or console options yet I'm left out in the cold. Would be interested to see a first play if anyone's taken the plunge!

Comment

Not yet, I know I'll probably enjoy it but it's on the backlog.

Comment

There were signs on Era earlier that EA are lining themselves to return to Steam

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  There were signs on Era earlier that EA are lining themselves to return to Steam
                  Older or select stuff like Dragon Age 2 or Mirror's Edge Catalyst (reddit)

Comment

Currently researching GPU upgrades for my 290. That familiar temptation to go all out and move to 4k, 120hz+, gsync/freesync...whatever else is there again. I quite like my 1080p Dell UltraSharp monitor though so in the interest of saving my wallet I'm sticking with it.

It seems like a 1660Ti should have me covered for going all out at 60fps but then, we are getting close to a new generation so I'm wondering if I should just wait.

Comment

I upgraded earlier during the year to a 1070 and i remember that and the 1660ti being really close with some games being better on the 1660ti and others being better on the 1070 (and the 2060 being close to them both to)

Not been with AMD for years but checking here https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2523?vs=2515 the 5700 is about 40 to 50 more expensive then a 1660 ti but seems to do pretty well compared to the 2060.

As usual though i wish i had waited and saved, the 1070 is good but still have to reduce details on quite a few games and i would have probably went for the 2060 super or the AMD 5700 XT
                      Last edited by eastyy; 27-10-2019, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                        I upgraded earlier during the year to a 1070 and i remember that and the 1660ti being really close with some games being better on the 1660ti and others being better on the 1070 (and the 2060 being close to them both to)

Not been with AMD for years but checking here https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2523?vs=2515 the 5700 is about 40 to 50 more expensive then a 1660 ti but seems to do pretty well compared to the 2060.

As usual though i wish i had waited and saved, the 1070 is good but still have to reduce details on quite a few games and i would have probably went for the 2060 super or the AMD 5700 XT
                        Always feels that way heh. I've put a cap of £300 on my budget so most of those cards will be a little out of my range but I'll keep an eye out for deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          Always feels that way heh. I've put a cap of £300 on my budget so most of those cards will be a little out of my range but I'll keep an eye out for deals.
                          The thing was i had a 970 for years , upgraded to a 1070 but then when i increased the graphic details for many games then the performance gains were not as impressive lol

I was tempted to the 2060 but the performance increase over a 1070 was not that much and RTX is still in first gen
                          Last edited by eastyy; 27-10-2019, 19:27.

Comment

Just a few days after EA's steamy teaser, the publisher has made it official - EA is coming back to Steam.EA is going a…

EA fully returning to Steam. Reddit, where I linked to above was wrong on that one.

EDIT: should have said it is still games that aren't native to Steam. So Origin and EA account still required. Load a launcher to load another launcher before you even play.
                            Last edited by Digfox; 29-10-2019, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                              EDIT: should have said it is still games that aren't native to Steam. So Origin and EA account still required. Load a launcher to load another launcher before you even play.
                              PC best platform to play.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                                PC best platform to play.
                                Certainly one of the weaknesses of the PC as a gaming platform.

I've said this before but I kinda feel this is where Valve were lazy and/or scared, in that when these launchers started appearing they should have banned any 'launchers within launchers' from these Pubs. However as an open platform maybe there is an argument for that. These additional 'programs' do sometimes break Steam Big Picture mode or In-home streaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X