No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just the photo, my phone doesn't take good photos in the dark.

Last edited by Hirst; 06-10-2019, 11:26.

Comment

Looking at reds & greens is a good way of checking it's sunfade status as those are the 2 most succeptible colours then it's yellow & pink from my experience. Although if they have been abused by sunlight no colour is safe except black lol. In Japan it's especially bad, the strength of the sun there seems to bleach the bejeesus out of everything if it's been left to sit in a window. So SOOO many games i have bought have had unmentioned sunfade that was bad one so bad that there was almost no colour left at all.

Looking at the PS logos on those, they look fine.

Comment

Tiny thing but I bought myself an old DS Lite today to play GBA games. My Micro was my system of choice for so many years but, man, that tiny screen is not good for my 40-something eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          that tiny screen is not good for my 40-something eyes.

It amazes me that people can actually use a GBA Micro.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
            Looking at reds & greens is a good way of checking it's sunfade status as those are the 2 most succeptible colours then it's yellow & pink from my experience. Although if they have been abused by sunlight no colour is safe except black lol. In Japan it's especially bad, the strength of the sun there seems to bleach the bejeesus out of everything if it's been left to sit in a window. So SOOO many games i have bought have had unmentioned sunfade that was bad one so bad that there was almost no colour left at all.

Looking at the PS logos on those, they look fine.
            3 out of 4 games were in a particularly dingy Cex and I don't think they'd seen sunlight for a decade, just the usual scraped cases from being repeatedly pulled in and out of the shelves to be looked at. I don't usually buy old games from there as they tend to be in miserable condition (and it's rare to find anything actually good). I'd only popped in as I was taking my folks round Leeds and I couldn't face the prospect of hanging around Primark for half an hour.

The only one with any real issue is R-Type, which was from a pawn shop a few streets away. The transparent sleeve had gone slightly yellow which is something I'd not seen before. It was only when I got closer to it that I noticed a faint tobacco smell - aha! But it was less than half the price of the cheapest one on eBay (I looked it up on my phone in the shop over a £4.50 game, I'm that tight) and I was already going to be needing some new boxes for the three I'd just bought. Sod it, one more won't hurt.

Just need to skulk around the game shops a bit next week looking for some 50p junk in nice condition cases. Inevitably it'll be Eyetoy/Singstar related, maybe an ancient FIFA.

Comment

Replacement PSU with 40A on the 5V rail. Bloody heavy but it should give my system plenty of juice.

Plus some cheap pickups. I was always intrigued by Sega GT when I had a DC but what I've seen so far hasn't exactly set my world on fire. I'll stick with it though and see how I get on.

Comment

Be sure to turn off the traction control settings, or no matter what car you get, it limits the power, and goes all weird. The DC game was completely different when you did that.

Comment

I discovered this game by accident while looking for info about a tamiya mini racing game. It's got proper licensed cars, including a mini! Loads of tuning settings and a map you can explore too. It's a cheeky outrun knock off, which is no bad thing at all. All for £8 quid, box and manual (not in photo) too!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                    I discovered this game by accident
                    Looks similar to Rad Racer 2, which I really enjoy, so I'll give it a go. Hadn't heard of it before.

Comment

There was a brand new copy of that on Amazon jp. I just snapped it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Replacement PSU with 40A on the 5V rail. Bloody heavy but it should give my system plenty of juice.
                        What system are you building? Accumulating a few parts for a retro build myself, although I'm making a point of not paying silly money in the process. Dabbling with a cheap socket 370 setup first, although I should soon have my old motherboard from 2005 back in my possession (Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 - it had been repurposed in a family member's PC for a while).

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                          What system are you building? Accumulating a few parts for a retro build myself, although I'm making a point of not paying silly money in the process. Dabbling with a cheap socket 370 setup first, although I should soon have my old motherboard from 2005 back in my possession (Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 - it had been repurposed in a family member's PC for a while).
                          It's for an existing Socket A PC. The motherboard pulls all of the power from the 5V rail which modern PSU's (outside of stupidly expensive ones) don't have enough juice for. For something like a 939 motherboard though, my old PSU would have actually been fine for since that's when motherboards started using the 12V rail as well via the 4 pin connecter.

I have the following setup:

Motherboard: Abit KTA7
                          CPU: Athlon XP2100+
                          RAM: 512MB SDRAM
                          PCI GPU: x2 12MB Voodoo 2 in SLI
                          AGP GPU: 128MB GeForce FX 5200 (possibly to be swapped out with a Geforce TI 4200 I forgot I had)
                          ISA Soundcard: Soundblaster 16
                          PCI Soundscard: Soundblaster Live! (most likely to be replaced by an Audigy 2 ZS since I always wanted one back in the day and they're cheap)
                          HDD: 120GB SSD via a cheap IDE to SATA convertor running Windows 98SE
                          Monitor: 21" Dell Trinitron

You should be able to get a nice XP system going with an Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 or maybe even a Windows 98 system if drivers exist for it. Retro PCs tend to be faily affordable imo unless you insist on going for high end, period specific hardware (Voodoo 5, original AdLib sound cards...etc).

Comment

Ah yeah, socket A can be quite demanding to the 5v requirements. You can get away with a new PSU on a socket 370 setup generally, although I have a decent condition FSP 300w power supply from around the period that will be used for now. Presumably you got those Voodoo cards before prices went silly!

The GF4 TI4200 may be the better card in terms of performance and compatibility (can use older drivers too), but I guess you'd have to test that. I bought a Live and an original Audigy recently very cheaply (the latter I had way back in 2001), probably use the Live with the s370 and Audigy with the s939. VXD drivers are a must for best performance on Win98, and I couldn't remember if the 2ZS came with support for that or WDM only... so I went for the original to play it safe. That and it came with the original driver CD, so that saved some hassle (I had to download the driver CD for the Live from vogons).

The Asrock appears to be suitable for Win98 given the ULi chipset has a full set of drivers for it, so quite keen to see how that goes. Haven't built any of it as yet, but will give me something to do over the winter months Probably a bit mad building two systems, but hey I'll see which I prefer and then go from there. The only thing I won't be doing is buying a CRT monitor - just don't have the space, plus I remember the eye strain I used to get from them back in the day. My Dell LCD monitor has aspect ratio options plus VGA input, so that will have to do.
                            Last edited by Hohum; 12-10-2019, 11:49.

Comment

Yep, the Voodoo 2's were a hell of a lot cheaper back when I purchased them. I was looking to purchase a Voodoo Rush recently just out of morbid curiosity but even those cards are stupidly expensive now.

Size is definitley an issue, I love the monitor but is ridiculously deep. Eyestrain isn't an issue thankfully as long as I keep the refresh rate at 85Hz or higher (I only play at 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768 so it's always set to 120Hz).

What model is the Dell LCD? I'm still on the lookout for one that's suitable for the above resolutions.
                              Last edited by Cepp; 12-10-2019, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                                What model is the Dell LCD? I'm still on the lookout for one that's suitable for the above resolutions.
                                I have a Dell P2314H, bought it used off ebay a few months back for about £45 posted I think. It's what I currently use for my 'modern' PC, so is a standard 1920x1080 widescreen 16:9 ratio with an IPS panel. Sorry if I gave the impression it was an old school 4:3 or 5:4 panel, but it does allow those aspect ratios in the OSD Whilst I guess you can find native 1024x768 panels out there somewhere, they're going to be old with not so great viewing angles/colour reproduction/response time.

Comment

Working...
                                X