Retro|Spective 097: Rampage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 097: Rampage

Towering over the streets like a giant ape, a vicious wolf or Dwayne Johson - endure the...

Mainline Entry 01 - Rampage
    Formats:
    Multiple
    Inspired by the likes of the Godzilla movies, Rampage tasked up to three players to take control of a giant creature and to lay siege on a city as much as possible. Players can choose from George the giant ape, Lizzie the mutated lizard or Ralph the werewolf. Players effectively work their way through a cross state rampage whilst trying to avoid the citizens attacks.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Rampage World Tour
    Formats:
    Multiple
    The follow up project is largely the same as the first game. The only real change is that players must destroy facilities around the world and so the game keeps continuing until all of them have been taken out. If it weren't for this structural change it would largely be the same game and as such reviews were much poorer second time out.

Mainline Entry 02 - Rampage 2: Universal Tour
    Formats:
    Nintendo 64, Playstation and Game Boy Color
    This new console based game brought in three new monster; Boris the Rhinobeast, Curtis the mouse monster and Ruby the lobster. Players chose one of these and then chose one of the original three monsters to head out to rescue. Rescuing the original creatures unleashed an alien attack on Earth that leads to the player taking on the invading forces and hounding them through the solar system.

Mainline Entry 03 - Rampage Through Time
    Formats:
    Playstation
    Harley the Warthog is added to the line up in a sequel that sees the monsters travelling through time with each timezone containing four stages to work through. As you attack the game will send in rival monsters you have to out score. Like most other entries, the game was poorly received yet sold enough to see a sequel.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Rampage Puzzle Attack
    Formats:
    Game Boy Advance
    Largely cloning the gameplay of Drop Mania and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, players worked through the puzzle challenges to unlock the franchises monster line up.

Mainline Entry 04 - Rampage: Total Destruction
    Formats:
    Gamecube, Wii and Playstation 2
    The final game in the series updated the visuals for the new generation of hardware the series was debuting on but otherwise presented a very traditional experience. The Wii version stood out by including an extra city and 10 more monsters though all versions included the original game and World Tour as well. The game was a million seller but Midways sale to Warner Bros brought the series to an end with the exception of the recent movie.

Share your thoughts and memories of Rampage

I've only ever played the arcade and I remember it playing pretty slow and being best with 3 players, but the cab felt pretty cramped.

As a kid, I found the graphics had a certain charm. They weren't as appealing as most Japanese arcades, but I liked all the little details going in. I probably watched the attract screen more than played it!

Originally, Bally Midway didn't have any faith in the project and it was unreleased until new management came in.
    It was a massive hit and they re-released it with more levels to make it harder.

Brian Colin, his wife and co-programmer Jeff Nauman are the three people who mutate into the monsters in the opening section.

You've forgotten the recent Rampage to tie in with the recent film, but that's okay because Brian Colin didn't know anything about it either!

I'll finish with the awesome Japanese poster for the Rampage film:

Comment

I should add:
      No clue this week for what the next entry will be, it'd definitely be too easy to guess. Once the 100th thread has been posted I'm thinking of taking a short break with these, they will continue past that point but I've yet to work out what the line up will be and I'm thinking of changing the way the opening post is delivered rather than continue a brief instalment by instalment checklist each week.

Comment

Loving your work as always, [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION], especially as you never ask how to get a girlfriend and why you keep getting banned.

Comment

I had no idea there was even one sequel to Rampage.

Comment

I remember loving Rampage on all the 8-bit computers. The idea of controlling a huge monster to smash down buildings really grabbed me. As a kid, I would just mess about with games, so my imagination kept me playing for months and months.

After that -- I remember liking the more accurate Amiga port. I have vague memories of playing the N64 version, but I don't know if I liked it.

I really need to check out the later games.

Comment

Working...
            X