Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominic Cummings is becoming a real threat to, well, everything. How a person with such extreme views has made it into such a position of power terrifies me, and now he can kick out advisors that don't align with his nazi ideas (he believes in eugenics - that some people are genetically better than others and wrote a 270 page manifesto about it).

Comment

Labour suffers a backlash from its attempts to oust Watson forcing Corbyn to step in and have the move withdrawn. Corbyn has instead suggested the party review the role. The trouble is that whilst Corbyn has powerful allies they are a minority meaning the second they take down Watson it'll likely mean Corbyn is next. It's too obvious a power play in the name of a party leader who won't survive the next GE if he doesn't win.

Comment

Corbyn pushes again for 2 Deputy Leaders and also suggests Brexit with a Deal could be better than Remain

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          also suggests Brexit with a Deal could be better than Remain
          What does that have to do with anything?! Of course it could be. That's never been in question. Like, a Brexit with a deal could be basically what we had with the EU, with some stuff negotiated to customise our situation to our benefit. That would, in theory, be better than how things were.

But they won't be like this, and definitely won't be close in the short term.

Comment

Labour pledge to abolish Private Schools and Ofsted

Increasingly it feels like Corbyn desperately needs the GE and to win it or he's done.

And talks have failed meaning Thomas Cook have collapsed

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...rivate-schools

Labour pledge to abolish Private Schools and Ofsted
              While there's some merit to this, part of me feels it's a bit of a cynical vote-grab. People are displeased over the premierships of Cameron and BoJo and they're tapping into the underlying dislike for private school toffs, and they think they can corner a certain vote due to it.

Maybe I just think that because I am sooo square in that bullseye, as someone who constantly harps on about how education funding needs to increase.

Comment

It does feel like a cheap class war type thing but I guess when the stats behind it also back up how heavily skewed things are towards attendees to those schools it's also seen as a good way of pulling up Tory membership from its roots for future generations.

Comment

Corbyn attempted to block a vote today on the party's stance on Brexit but pro-EU activists have managed to get it tabled again. Corbyn has been warned against trying to use the union bloc to block members pro-remain stance.

Unison have already delivered Corbyn a body blow today by confirming they will vote down two of the three Brexit stance motions and will back the one that commits Labour to being a Remain party. Unison seem to be going fully ahead with the view that without a clear position on Brexit the party will fail in a General Election.

Corbyn is said to be pushing Momentum members to back his fence sitting position but the leader of the group has openly disagreed with the way the motion was handled and given members free reign to 'vote with their conscience'.

Comment

And talks have failed meaning Thomas Cook have collapsed
                    I'm kinda surprised they lasted this long. I know they're an institution, the first package tour company etc., but who has bought a holiday since c.2000 by going into a shop and negotiating it with a tour rep?

The last time we did the beachfront holiday thing, I tried their office, and ended up booking through online sources. Sure, we saved money, that wouldn't surprise anyone - but in this case, we paid ~£1000 for what Thomas Cook wanted to charge ~£2,500 for.

TC provide a service, and I'm okay paying for that service. If it had been a couple of hundred more, I might have paid it for a combination of convenience and the assurance that they'd fix things if they went wrong... But more than double the cost was (and still would be) an absolutely ridiculous markup. I hadn't touched their service since the 90s and that cemented the idea that I would never do so again.

As always, my sympathies go out to their front-line staff.

Comment

It's a massive closure but definitely the first milestone in an industry arm collapse, TUI etc employees should be considering their options.

Here's Labour's big gun outside of Brexit - If elected, within a decade, they will introduce a Full Time 32 hour Working Week with no loss in pay. I like the basic idea but they couldn't have picked a more awkward figure. You're typical 9-5er works 37.5 a week assuming a half hour lunch, that's like working 4 days and then having 2 spare hours to do, so is this pushing for longer working days?

Comment

Promising a 4-day work-week is madness when the economy isn't booming, surely? Last I recall people talking about that was in the heady days of ~1993.

EDIT: Theory. Are Labour proposing very vote-grabby but crowd-pleasing stuff because the Tories are going to scream "magic-money-tree" at whatever they put forward, so they may as well jump in with both feet?

Comment

By the sounds yep, it sounds like they haven't budgeted any of these things

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Promising a 4-day work-week is madness when the economy isn't booming, surely? Last I recall people talking about that was in the heady days of ~1993.

EDIT: Theory. Are Labour proposing very vote-grabby but crowd-pleasing stuff because the Tories are going to scream "magic-money-tree" at whatever they put forward, so they may as well jump in with both feet?
                            The magic money tree exists. The Tories proved that with the DUP deal.

Comment

John McDonnell is not proposing a French-style cap on maximum working hours. He was persuaded by the arguments in the report from Lord Skidelsky on working hours (pdf) that Labour published recently explaining a cap would not work.
                              • Instead, McDonnell plans to use two mechanisms to drive down average working hours over a decade - collective sectoral bargaining, and a working time commission.

• The working time commission, based on the low pay commission (which oversees the minimum wage and the national living wage) would recommend increases in minimum holiday entitlements. Over time, it is envisaged that these would go up.

• The average working week is currently 37.1 hours. Labour wants to reduce this by five hours over a decade. It views this as a political commitment, not a legally binding one. It is not planning to give every individual worker the right not to have to work more than 32 hours a week.

• Part of the plan is to ensure that workers can more from productivity increases. McDonnell believes that for much of the last 150 years or so increases in productivity led to shorter working hours. But in recent years workers have not benefitted from those productivity increases, he believes.

• McDonnell does not believe that moving towards a shorter working week will cost jobs. He believes increasing productivity can make a shorter working week affordable. His team has not tried to produce costings for the impact of this policy.

• A 32-hour woking week is equivalent to a four-day working week if someone works eight hours a day. But McDonnell is not presenting this as a move to a four-day week. He thinks in different sectors staff will want to reduce hours in different ways.

So basically, a cop out?

Comment

Working...
                              X