Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
    So scaliness will work 720p in and 720p out, that is, no scaling?
    Yep. You need to set the HDMI direct to off otherwise no scanlines or any image processing will work.
    My TV would do the scaling to 4K but scaling 720p to 4K is a simple x4 boost so it looks great. No issues at all. Scaling 1080p to 4K is much more difficult.
    As mentioned elsewhere in this thread I don't use my MD mini now. It's in a display case but my analogue SG is set to 720p output too. That can do fantastic scanlines however so that's direct to the TV but again the TV upscans it to fill the 4K pannel perfectly. I think that maybe the reason why many of these mini systems output at 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Yep. You need to set the HDMI direct to off otherwise no scanlines or any image processing will work.
      My TV would do the scaling to 4K but scaling 720p to 4K is a simple x4 boost so it looks great. No issues at all. Scaling 1080p to 4K is much more difficult.
      As mentioned elsewhere in this thread I don't use my MD mini now. It's in a display case but my analogue SG is set to 720p output too. That can do fantastic scanlines however so that's direct to the TV but again the TV upscans it to fill the 4K pannel perfectly. I think that maybe the reason why many of these mini systems output at 720p.
      Thanks mate.

What 4K TV are you using? I want the LG OLED C9 but the price is huge here in NZ (about 3000 pounds +).

Comment

No, it's on the latest already.
        That's your trouble though, you need to "update" it to the version before 2.03 I think, is yours 2.04?

Comment

Is that called downdating?

Or is that when you’ll go for anyone on tinder?

Comment

Thanks mate.

What 4K TV are you using? I want the LG OLED C9 but the price is huge here in NZ (about 3000 pounds +).
            Ah, Mine isn't that fancy. Mine is made by Toshiba and uses the Regza 4K processing board if that is any help.

Comment

Looks like I'll wait till I can add Rocket Knight Adventures on there plus the ability to run the games through RetroArch. I'm super in love with the Zfast shader with some modifications
              Last edited by Nico87; 19-10-2019, 12:40.

Comment

Which is the best version to get of this then? I presume the one with the six button pads as obviously it will be hacked at some point anyway,

Comment

Are the japanese and asian versions aesthetically identical?

I prefer the latter's selection of games, even though that'll be a moot point once this is hacked.

Comment

Has this thing been hacked yet?

Genuine question as I haven’t paid any attention to the scene around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      Has this thing been hacked yet?

Genuine question as I haven’t paid any attention to the scene around it.
                      Quick answer, Yes.

There looks to be a couple of options, Hakchi (Like the NES/SNES) and Project Lunar.

You'll see all about them on YouTube for quick run downs on how to install and what they offer.

Comment

Long answer...?

Comment

Noooooooooooooot yet

Basically the hack is doable but it's fiddly & risky and time consuming too. At the moment it's neither refined or totally foolproofed yet. Until you can add games to the stock menu and have it looking legit i'm not interested. I never understand the appeal of installing retroarch and using their god awful menu on every console that gets hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            I never understand the appeal of installing retroarch and using their god awful menu on every console that gets hacked.
                            o/\o

Me neither! I suppose it might be fine as an emulator, functionally speaking, but the one time I tried it on the SNES Mini the whole thing was fiddly and not remotely optimised - still functioning like it would on a PC. Which is bizarre, since a PC is a moving target, while the Mini consoles are static fixed structures.

I wouldn't mind them, but they really should strip the crap out that doesn't work, and give it some pre-defined settings for perfect functionality.

Simply to get the screen at the correct aspect ratio required I read the instructions from someone else and fiddle with three or four different primary options. While touching the wrong one would crash the system.

RetroArch is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              I never understand the appeal of installing retroarch and using their god awful menu on every console that gets hacked.
                              Once you set RetroArch up, you don't have to worry about it. The frontend isn't affected by RetroArch, so it's just used to set up controls, resolution, scanlines etc... I think it's nice to be able to customise everything to how you want it. RetroArch is quite bewildering at first, but easy to understand once you've gone over all the options a few times.

A Mini system that runs all sorts of emulators with one universal configuration menu would probably be ideal though. Although, I have a feeling that might cause issues , so the developer(s) would have to pre-configure everything for each emulated system so the user just has easy universal options on the frontend.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-11-2019, 11:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                                RetroArch is garbage.
                                It's open source - you could always make it better yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X