No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast cases i know the Cd holder part tended to break with me quite a lot

Worse gaming cases though were the Sega Saturn Cardboard ones....what on earth were they thinking, some games the manual was to big and would press against the CD

Comment

I never understood the early Saturn cases. Thankfully we got nice PAL Saturn cases near the end of the machine's life...

As for the PS1 cases, you're right Cassius in saying they broke quite easily...but the cases themselves were quite heavy and dense, bet the cases weren't cheap to make. I'd say it was like with the DC, it was simply a bad choice, it was the *wrong* plastic...the type that snaps easily. The sort of brittle plastic that cassette and CD cases are made out of.

Nah, what I'm saying is THIS: we're talking a different type of plaggy, what they did was use the SAME plastic as old PS2/360 cases etc...but somehow reduce the plastic content by at least 50%, thereby leading to really light 'floppy' cases that crush easy when stacked, flail all over the place when you open the case, and often snap quite easily more due to the fact the once-durable plastic is now waffer-theeen and somehow can shatter easily when it would merely bend if it wasn't as thin as it is.

It's all in the texture, the type of plastic. The old PAL PS1 cases are bloody luxury in comparison!

Comment

PAL DC cases were bloody horrible. Especially the disc spindles. Faaaaaarkin ellllllll.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          PAL DC cases were bloody horrible. Especially the disc spindles. Faaaaaarkin ellllllll.
          i did wonder if that was why a lot of one disc games had a double disc case

Comment

And or irony the USA ones were the best, even better than the Japanese ones

Comment

I never understood the early Saturn cases. Thankfully we got nice PAL Saturn cases near the end of the machine's life...!
              I never could understand why SEGA Europe just didn't use the Pal Mega-CD cases which were the best IMO

Comment

Yeah simply popping the disk out almost guaranteed to break the spindles in DC cases. They seem to have an extra hooked shape compared to the PS1 cases that meant it didn't want to let go of the disk without a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  I never could understand why SEGA Europe just didn't use the Pal Mega-CD cases which were the best IMO
                  Yeah, it's odd. I mean the PS1 early games had some one disc titles which used the same cases and they were fine.

EDIT: Admittedly, the blue colour was an interesting choice. It had a very strong, unified appearance to all titles which meant you could definitely see the Dreamcast section when you walked in a shop. Doesn't excuse their poor overall design though.
                  Last edited by Asura; 10-10-2019, 17:36.

Comment

My only memory of the DC section was them piled in the clearance bin. Remember seeing an obscene amount of ready to rumble cases.

Comment

When sonic smackdown gets a first play but no ones even bothered mentioning Concrete Genie exists.

Im actually disappointed guys.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        When sonic smackdown gets a first play but no ones even bothered mentioning Concrete Genie exists.

Im actually disappointed guys.
                        My irk is when people complain there isn’t a first play for something - don’t moan about it, make one!

Comment

Cheesy concept next gen art console pictures

Comment

The racing genre
                            Just... I just wish someone would make a proper lengthy arcade racer with real spectacle etc. The stagnation of the genre is mindnumbing at this point. The only real joy over the last ten or so years has been the Horizon series and even there there's been a small growing sense of rot setting in because the series can change the location but little else due to the grounded elements. I want something with brilliant arcade physics, inventive track design that's varied and visuals that melt my eyes and appeal in a way I want to play just to experience the course again.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              The racing genre
                              Just... I just wish someone would make a proper lengthy arcade racer with real spectacle etc.
                              I think the high-profile failures of Blur and Split Second, which came in a relatively short time period, cast a very long shadow over the genre that still hasn't shifted, despite that being around a decade ago. Ridge Racer Unbounded factors into this too.

Burnout Paradise was successful, but not really because of its quality arcade gameplay, but rather how it was the first game to really hit the mainstream while cracking the "open world online racer" formula that had been rattling around, but never maximised upon, for the prior 5 or so years.

It's related to why no-one has really tried to innovate with a new franchise in the 3D fighter genre for years (Killer Instinct doesn't really count, but that's the closest we've gotten). The genre is out of "the vogue" and it's difficult, I guess, for people to work out what is wanted of them when that's the case.

This is going to seem like red-rag-to-a-bull, also, but another one of the reasons arcadey racers are struggling is that they're not "friendly" to the modern way AAA games are sold. They don't form good "live services" because for most people, they're a fire-and-forget thing that you play a lot at first then only occasionally afterwards - also being arcadey, fair play is pretty important, so progression mechanics are difficult. They don't perform well on services like Twitch or YouTube (because, to the untrained observer, most skilled playthroughs of Ridge Racer basically look the same). They're basically the antithesis of everything publishers want, i.e. stuff which can be sliced and diced in ways to both earn more for the same rope, while deterring people from playing other publishers' games.

This comes down to the whole way in which games are a reflection of the platforms that host them. Much of the qualities I (and I suspect other people here) like about games came about specifically because of the way arcades worked in the 80s.

Comment

I can see why, it's just staggering that whilst racers enjoy some popularity there isn't an audience screaming out for a proper diversion from the sim franchises that are so iterative and long in the tooth now. I'm close to clawing out my eyes at the idea of racing the same track in the umpteenth sequel of a sterile sim.

I don't want Nitro's or weapons etc, but the idea of an arcade style GT would be great and could support all the modern day MTX fluff big companies love. Hell, it'd be a good counter point for Sony vs the Horizon series.

Comment

Working...
                                X