No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's half the problem with YouTube, for whatever reason people click on thumbnails with someone pulling a face and making out something has major problems. More clicks means more Funko Pops. Any time a new gaming product comes out, YouTube is filled with thumbnails of people who like they're suffering from a migraine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      for whatever reason people click on thumbnails with someone pulling a face

It's hilarious that middle aged people also resort to that tactic for views. Even the immensely popular 'AVGN' does it, when he's already guaranteed millions of views.

It's all very stupid and sad, but you have to laugh.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-09-2019, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        I'm the world greatest expert on the Mega Drive too, even though I wasn't born until the late '90s.
        Absolutely

Comment

Played a session of Tetris last night, hmmm let’s just say it’s a product of its time as I have been too spoiled by Tetris effect. The md version feels slightly clunky/janky, hard to go back to the older tetris where if the pieces even briefly touch for a nanosecond they are bonded on a molecular level lol. It’s very cool to be able to play a rarity but it’s a little to primitive in 2019, which makes me wonder for the small handful of original owners if any actually enjoyed playing it after paying a 4 figure price tag for it. That would be a painful purchase lol

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
            Played a session of Tetris last night, hmmm let’s just say it’s a product of its time as I have been too spoiled by Tetris effect.
            The only versions of Tetris I enjoyed back in the day were the Super Tetris series on the SNES. The variants included with those are really fun. Super Tetris 3 is my fave.

I really need to play Tetris Effect.

Comment

This evening been through a few more on the list, assault suit leynos is pretty crap not seeing the appeal at all. The surprise of the evening however is contra, holy crap what kind of witchcraft is konami using to pull off that stuff. Not only is it crazily fast with parallax scrolling all over the place it's pulling of sprite rotation & a ton of neat effects. Waaaaaaay better than the snes one so far im well impressed hehe

Comment

Waaaaaaay better than the snes one so far im well impressed hehe
                I wouldn't say it quite matches the brilliance of the SNES version, but it's certainly a great game. I can easily see why someone might prefer the MD version though. Two of the best run-'n-gun games ever made.

Comment

Along with Probotector, I wonder if the UK Mega Drive has the (easier) Japanese version of Hard Corps or the (harder) Genesis one. Hope it's the former

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Along with Probotector, I wonder if the UK Mega Drive has the (easier) Japanese version of Hard Corps or the (harder) Genesis one. Hope it's the former
                    It will have both.

All MD/Genesis Minis can region-switch their games, unless I’m mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      I wouldn't say it quite matches the brilliance of the SNES version, but it's certainly a great game. I can easily see why someone might prefer the MD version though. Two of the best run-'n-gun games ever made.
                      The megadrive version feels a lot faster things flying all over the place at a crazy pace. Out of the 2 the md version has won me over both are great games but the md version has a new fan hehe. Looking forward to the hack been available as outside a small core of games I haven’t played a lot of the md library it’s like the famicom all over again. Games I never knew existed till I looked at the complete Japanese game list, still yet to do the same for the western games but I will get there. Thankfully that SEGA website posted earlier is nowup again for cover grabbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Both mate

Comment

Waaaaaaay better than the snes one so far im well impressed hehe
                          I agree. I have always preferred the MD versions of Konami's Contra and Castlevania over the SNES titles. Both try really hard to get your attention, despite working on weaker hardware with less colours. A slight exception is the PCE release of Rondo of Blood, I prefer that over the MD's Bloodlines.

But anyway, Contra on MD has multiple characters, each with distinct styles of attack, and branching paths, meaning it encourages you to replay multiple times and experience it in different ways. The SNES version in Contrast seems a bit... basic?

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          It will have both.

All MD/Genesis Minis can region-switch their games, unless I’m mistaken?
                          We are still not sure.

I was going to pop into town tomorrow, but I might wait for confirmation.

Apparently the US games can be accessed via the Korean/Chinese menu.

On the flip side, the PAL version of Sonic Spinball has borked music because they sped up a PAL optimised 50Hz title to run at 60Hz. You can access the Japanese version, which avoids this problem, but I have not had confirmation you can access the US release of Spinball via the Korean menu.

Honestly, the more I read, the more I think the PAL release is a shambolic mess. Who the **** thought it would be a good idea to lock PAL titles to "ENGLISH" ? Just add a 2nd English menu, to access US games, or you know what? Juts leave the PAL Mega Drive games locked behind the French or Italian language choices.

The current decision reeks of upper management incompetence.

EDIT:

Follow this Twitter thread, examining the GENESIS system:

As you can see, the Americans get easy access to Japanese, American, and European games, including the EU versions of New Generations and Probotector. Plus Sonic Spinball and Comix Zone running at the correct speeds with correct music.

Will the PAL Mega Drive Mini offer the same, with access to American games? Maybe. In Korean and Chinese. Or something. I dunno. It's as ridiculous as it sounds.
                          Last edited by Sketcz; 03-10-2019, 15:31.

Comment

The megadrive version feels a lot faster things flying all over the place at a crazy pace. Out of the 2 the md version has won me over both are great games but the md version has a new fan hehe.
                            Both games take advantage of the hardware really well, so top quality in all areas. I will always have a soft spot for Contra 3. It's a shame that Konami didn't make Contra 4 for the SNES, seeing #3 was such an early release.

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                            The SNES version in Contrast seems a bit... basic?
                            The MD version has the benefit of being on roughly double the rom size. By 1994 much larger rom sizes were common. That allowed the dev to be more ambitious with content.

Despite that, the SNES version at least delivers memorable levels and the impressive for the time top-down stages. It's more straightforward, but still enjoyable from start to finish.

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                            Honestly, the more I read, the more I think the PAL release is a shambolic mess. Who the **** thought it would be a good idea to lock PAL titles to "ENGLISH" ? Just add a 2nd English menu, to access US games, or you know what? Juts leave the PAL Mega Drive games locked behind the French or Italian language choices.
                            They should have implemented flags for Euro, USA, Japan. Maybe they shouldn't have even bothered with PAL roms,
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-10-2019, 22:44.

Comment

I think PAL ROMs are probably required for some games with multiple languages.

Honestly, I reckon the PAL machines will be fine. From the sound of it you can just select Korean to access the US stuff. Generally, it seems like they've done a good job with these. I've got a nostalgic soft spot for the PAL Megadrive branding that box art is really pulling me in.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                I think PAL ROMs are probably required for some games with multiple languages.
                                I didn't think about that aspect.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                I've got a nostalgic soft spot for the PAL Megadrive branding that box art is really pulling me in.
                                I have a soft spot for the 'chequerboard' sort of design on early PAL games. But usually prefer the Japanese artwork more.

Comment

Working...
                                X