Retro|Spective 100: Nintendo 64 and Those We Left Behind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 100: Nintendo 64 and Those We Left Behind

The 100th Retro|Spective arrives and with it we look back at Nintendo's answer to the 32-bit era console race, its 64-bit cartridge fed console the Nintendo 64. A system that struggled in its early days and lost a lot of ground to rivals but also left a run of games fans have adored throughout the years. Here we highlight one off games that largely remain heritage titles to the system.

Entry 01 - Beetle Adventure Racing
    Other Formats:
    None
    EA's offshoot of the Need for Speed series in many ways took the odd decision to limit car selection to just Volkswagon's Beetle redesign thereby placing the burden of variety on skins and track design. That was unless you lived in Australia where the Beetle's were swapped out for HSV Commodores. Tracks featured occasional events like dinosaurs as well as a range of shortcuts and jumps with players able to boost via nitro crates. The games limited release hurt it as sales were stunted despite widespread acclaim. A sequel entered development but never saw release.

Entry 02 - Blast Corps
    Other Formats:
    Xbox One
    During their golden run on the system, Rare released this gem that saw the player race against the clock to clear the path of a runaway nuclear carrier truck. Players used a range of vehicles from a simple bulldozer through to a futuristic robot to demolish buildings before disaster. From an overhead view players worked through 57 missions taking you from suburbs all the way to the moon. Though the game sold more than a million copies this was classed as an underperformance for Rare and so no sequel was ever made, it's only life extension coming from a belated Xbox One port.

Entry 03 - Body Harvest
    Other Formats:
    None
    Adam Drake investigates when aliens arrive on Earth to harvest the human population, what followed in DMA Designs game was a precursor to other 3D open world titles. With the game taking place over five time periods and levels, the player had to destroy all the aliens within a certain radius before the creatures wipe out the local population. Using a mixture of weapons and vehicles, Adam would race from attacked area to attacked area. The game suffered from heavy performance issues but that didn't stop many of those who played it from falling for its charms. Though Nintendo ultimately chose not to publish the game, this was an interesting project due to the companies involvement in its development also.

Entry 04 - Mischief Makers
    Other Formats:
    None
    Treasure brought several projects to Nintendo over the course of both the N64 and Gamecube's lifespans but an early example was this title that saw players tackle side on stages by controlling Marina as she worked through 52 levels using a catch mechanic. In the new 3D era the game struggled to draw attention to itself and middling reviews didn't help, however it drew fondness from many fans of the developer and those who gave the game a try.

Entry 05 - Rocket: Robot on Wheels
    Other Formats:
    None
    Coming from a pre-Playstation Sucker Punch, this 3D platformer used a physic engine to direct the gameplay meaning puzzles in the game could utilise weight, intertia, friction and others into their solutions. Working through six worlds, the game presented a distinct spin on the emerging genre and received positive reviews as a result yet its appeal with the public proved limited and so the title never received a sequel or port.

Entry 06 - Jet Force Gemini
    Other Formats:
    Xbox One
    The third person shooter represented another effort by Rare to establish its own franchise away from Nintendo's and its own very similar offerings. Offering both a single player campaign and multiplayer modes, the game required players to complete 15 levels whilst saving every single Tribal they came across - a requirement that cost the game a few fans alongside the awkward controls the system required the game to use. The later port to Xbox One as part of Rare Replay added the option to use dual analogue controls.

Entry 07 - Space Station Silicon Valley
    Other Formats:
    Game Boy Color, Playstation
    DMA Design gave the N64 another go with this title that saw players control a robotic microchip to take possession of a range of animals in order to solve puzzles in a 3D environment. The game used fairly rudimentary visuals that masked fairly inspiring game design, this design helped the game win all manner of positive acclaim in reviews however the rope look of the title meant players overlooked it at retail. A 2D handheld version arrived a year later with an even later port to PS1 but the game never met the commercial success to match its critical response.

Entry 08 - Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Other Formats:
    Xbox 360, Xbox One
    Rare said goodbye to the system with this ambitious platformer that proved too much for Nintendo to publish. Featuring large amounts of movie pastiche, spoken dialogue and risqué humour the game pushed the hardware to deliver arguably a 3D platformer using linear 2D like design. The game remains something of a visual showcase for the system and retains a loyal following, ever waiting for the sequel they'll never get.

Share your thoughts and memories of these N64 one shots

I get an Avast trojan warning when opening this thread

Comment

That sounds vaguely NSFW, you must love N64 games

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I get an Avast trojan warning when opening this thread
        Me too, what gives?

Comment

I remember really liking Blast Corps, as the concept grabbed me and I loved the graphics. Easily one of the best games for the system.

Beetle Adventure Racing is one of the better N64 racers. I remember it received very positive reviews.

Body Harvest had many issues, but it was still quite a fun game to play. I remember getting quite engrossed in the game world.

I wanted to like Mischief Makers, but I always found it fiddly and annoying. I need to go back to it.

Jet Force Gemini was quite impressive. I liked the graphic design with all the colours and vibrancy. The gameplay was a bit frustrating, but I still enjoyed it.

Out of the other games -- I've always liked the look of Space Station Silicon Valley, so I really need to give it a go.

Comment

Mischief Makers is just so charming and inventive, it puts a massive smile on your face on each level, especially once you persevere past the fiddly controls (Treasure and fiddly controls? Surely not).

I went back to last year and finally finished Body Harvest. The latter levels are actually better than the starting stages, so I was glad I got through to the end.

A remake or sequel to Jet Force Gemini would be the one game that would make me buy an Xbone. It's dripping in atmosphere, bombastic gameplay, and the scale is still impressive.

Comment

I've gone back to Beetle Adventure Racing several times, it's pretty simple but quietly one of the more fun games on the system and unless it was because of the NFS series I've never understood why EA didn't let it breathe out onto other systems.

Blast Corps was genius, it's still surprising that it's never received a follow up or a copy from another developer even in the form of and XBL game.

Body Harvest was interesting, probably more because of when it came out and what it tried to do but it was rough then so must be haggard now.

Mischief Makers never won me over and I've still never played Rocket.

Jet Force Gemini was the one Rare game of the era to leave me cold whilst Space Station Silicon Valley was really interesting.

Conker - well, adore it.

Comment

Always loved Pilot Wings and would happily fork out some cash to play again to be honest but only on a modern tv

Comment

Working...
                X