No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully my uk one is arriving today according to amazon, looking forward to this one more as it has a crapload more games on that I like. Will be able to test and see if you can get access to the genesis version of the games. Although with the Japanese md I never really bothered with it as I prefer the jpn menu a lot more, it is cool though that monster world IV turns into full English.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I didn't think about that aspect.

I have a soft spot for the 'chequerboard' sort of design on early PAL games. But usually prefer the Japanese artwork more.
      The OG Japanese console box art is the best, but the PAL one is a brilliant bit of 90s kitsch.

Comment

I can safely say that, objectively, the best console box art is the one that I had when I was a kid and have the most nostalgia for. Nothing can beat that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I can safely say that, objectively, the best console box art is the one that I had when I was a kid and have the most nostalgia for. Nothing can beat that.
          The past is a foreign country. One where everything was objectively better.

Comment

Detailed examination of what games are available, with photos, here:

Comment

[MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION] thank you.

Just to be clear that RLLMUK thread reads as if the PAL MD Mini in its default setup will speed up 50hz ROMS to 60hz where the EU version is being loaded? Or in other words you need to change the language settings to force the NTSC US versions although there is no easy way to select US versions on the PAL version.

Have I understood correctly?

Comment

A console so nice, i bought it twice.

Comment

I've always been mystified why they went with that crappy tiny 16-BIT font, ruins the look of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                    Just to be clear that RLLMUK thread reads as if the PAL MD Mini in its default setup will speed up 50hz ROMS to 60hz where the EU version is being loaded? Or in other words you need to change the language settings to force the NTSC US versions although there is no easy way to select US versions on the PAL version.

Have I understood correctly?
                    Yes. So if you want the NTSC versions of Contra, rather than Probotector, you can either select Japanese language for the JP version, or Korean for the US version, otherwise you play the PAL version, sped up to 60Hz. For Beyond Oasis you select Chinese to get access to the American NTSC release, otherwise it's the PAL version of Story of Thor (I've actually heard that maybe SoT, the PAL version, was not sped up due to problems - but this is unconfirmed). Same with Casltevania - the default is PAL at 60Hz, unless you go Korean.

So yes, you understand it correctly (though it's bloody counter intuitive!).

What we are not sure of, is exactly the extent to which PAL ROMs have been used instead of NTSC, on the PAL system. So for example, the dumped ROM list only has 2 versions of Shinobi listed. One is the Japanese. It's unclear if the other is PAL at 60Hz, or NTSC-U.

With Sonic Spinball, it seems as if only the PAL ROM and Japanese ROM are present.

The UK machine is a bit higgeldy piggeldy. Based on Down with Law's photos, you can access the Genesis versions of pretty much everything, except Spinball (unconfirmed!), by accessing either Korean or Chinese (you need to access both, since neither has all Genesis games - IE: Hard Corps English is on Korean only, Beyond Oasis is on Chinese only).

It's a right dog's breakfast.

Fun discoveries in the dumped ROM list: Aladdin was meant to be on there!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                      So yes, you understand it correctly (though it's bloody counter intuitive!).
                      Ouch. I suppose hacking the PAL version will cure these problems, but that's disappointing.

I guess it also introduces other issues like EU ROMS being different. For example someone was suggesting on Restera this the EU version of Story of Thor was heavily censored compared to the NTSC versions.

But thank you for the detailed response.
                      Last edited by Digfox; 04-10-2019, 18:52.

Comment

I guess it also introduces other issues like EU ROMS being different. For example someone was suggesting on Restera this the EU version of Story of Thor was heavily censored compared to the NTSC versions.
                        Regional differences listed here:

You can still access the better US version, it just takes a few seconds fiddling in the menu to select the Chinese user interface.

But yeah, this is something I would correct when I hack mine.

Ordered it tonight off Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          I've always been mystified why they went with that crappy tiny 16-BIT font, ruins the look of the system.
                          I have to agree there. But it's not as bad as the bloody stupid Genesis logo plaster right across the US console. That looks like some **** a junior primary school student would think up.

Comment

someone was suggesting on Restera this the EU version of Story of Thor was heavily censored compared to the NTSC versions.
                            Unless I’m missing something (possible!) it doesn’t seem so at all. Some differences but nothing I would call censorship that I can see. But maybe I’m not seeing the right lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Unless I’m missing something (possible!) it doesn’t seem so at all. Some differences but nothing I would call censorship that I can see. But maybe I’m not seeing the right lists.
                              Yea, I think you're right. Looking back it's not censorship of Story of Thor, just that it's an earlier and not as polished version as the US one.

I had a re-read of Resetera and it is Castlevania and Hard Corps mentioned as being censored in the EU. All I can think is that in my tiredness I used the wrong game as an example.

Comment

Well, I didn’t even know until yesterday that there were any changes at all to the versions of Story of Thor so I learned something new regardless! I’m actually really looking forward to playing that if I get the Mini. I don’t know if I really played the Megadrive one. I remember the sequel on the Saturn and I really enjoyed it so it will be good to give this a go.

But then it reminds me that my all time favourite Megadrive game, Soleil, isn’t on the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X