User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doomtendo | A switch to hell on the go.

The game

Doom is a first-person shooter video game developed by id Software and published by Bethesda Softworks. A reboot of the Doom franchise, it is the fourth title in the main series and the first major installment since Doom 3 in 2004.

It is a real return to form, and high paced full on action classic FPS. A fitting reboot to the orginal game.

The port

- 30fps with dips
    - No map creator
    - Full DLC from XB1/PS4
    - Full Multiplayer
    - 21.3 Gb download size
    - 720p max when docked
    - 720p max when handheld, but mostly sub 720p

How does it play?

First impressions... "Oh my god! How the hell did they make this work???"

Second impressions.... "I can't control for ****!" Changed control method to use button for mele, better. Increased sensitivity, better. Still hard as hell with Joycons. Must practice

Third impressions... "Oh my god! How the hell did they make this work???" I have a full phat FPS on a bloody mobile!

It will never play as well on Joycons as with the pro controller, but rather that bail out of mobile controls I will practice some more and see if I can get used to it. The game is for sure fuzzy/vaseline as hell, but it still looks incredible. 30fps makes it harder as the demons are still fast as hell.

More impressions later!
    Last edited by capcom_suicide; 10-11-2017 at 11:17 AM.

I couldn't get in to this on PS4, I found it borderline unplayable. As much as I'd love a full FPS on Switch I reckon I'll have to wait for something else to come along, though I'll definitely keep an eye on your updates to at least see how well it runs.

It is quite an impressive feat this. Reminds me of PC gaming where I would prefer 640x480 with AA and effects, rather than hi resolution without bells and whistles.

Sadly the game has an audio bug, and a few times sound has dropped out until checkpoint restart.

Plays a good game on pro controller, but distant objects look like Zx Spectrum sprites. Joycon aiming has a dreadful deadzone, so shotgun action is fine, but distance shooting is hard.

I will try some more hours to seem if I can fine tune the control settings.

If you have a XB/PS and only play on the TV don't go near this obviously.

Are you a mobile gamer that completed Vita Killzone, and want an FPS on the move? Then I think this is worth a gamble. But be warned, the controls currently make this very challenging. I am considering dropping it to easy, just to compensate a bit.

Main first impressions: Technically impressive, Buggy, terrible controls. I hope I can find a way to tune the sticks to improve the situation, I have no interest in playing switch games on TV more than very occaisonally.

It feels like a 6 gameplay with 9 for technical achievement at the moment I am afraid.

Hmmm, that’s poor, thanks for the vid. I only use my switch handheld so I want an FPS to be on a par with vita killzone. Certainly won’t try dipping in on this again as I would imagine it’s 40+ so not worth trying for me, shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Hmmm, that’s poor, thanks for the vid. I only use my switch handheld so I want an FPS to be on a par with vita killzone. Certainly won’t try dipping in on this again as I would imagine it’s 40+ so not worth trying for me, shame.
    Amazon have it for an even 40 which is the cheapest I've seen it.

Was tempted but I've finished it on PS4 before so there's no real need.

Doesn't it have gyro aiming? Surely that'd be 100x more accurate than analogues anyway.

Indeed. It controls a lot better than Vita Killzone, thats for sure. Just for info. KZ vita was one of my fave games

PS: From another forum, it can be the smoothing setting, which I have at 100%! Will try later and see

I couldn't get in to this on PS4, I found it borderline unplayable. As much as I'd love a full FPS on Switch I reckon I'll have to wait for something else to come along, though I'll definitely keep an eye on your updates to at least see how well it runs.
    What was wrong with the PS4 version? Its generally quite well regarded and I was thinking about picking up a copy.