Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved RE:CV on DC.

It was the first RE game to go full polygon, rather than pre-rendered backgrounds. Even RE Remake on GC had pre-rendered.

For me, RE:CV is the last true Resident Evil game, before they became over-the-shoulder blaster em ups. I did not enjoy RE4, I did not enjoy the GC remake of RE1. But I still love RE:CV. I'm currently playing through it again now, on PS2. In the arctic base, just got the wheel handle and am about to take it to the machine room to grind down to the required shape. For me, this was the pinnacle of the series. Fun, tense, but not frustrating like REmake. God-damn those stupid red zombies which revive unless you burn them.

Comment

Hang on, hang on. Code Veronica is THE most frustrating old skool Resi ever!!! I mean...that bit on the plane where you've got to press that button a few times to mash the Tyrant out. Always puts me off replaying it's so stressful and annoying.

AND the Bandersnatches.

Also, the backtracking early on with vague camera angles that don't really imbue one with a sense of easy orientation. The seeming lack of decaps, general relentless air of stress, despair, and a constant thought in the head whispering "I'm gonna fail again, innit?".

Tbh, playing thru the 360 version of REmake recently, on the Easiest setting with Jill (two more item slots = 81% less frustration), I've re-evaluated it in my soul. It's easily one of the purest, bestest Resis out there, it really is a masterpiece.

Yeah. Yeaaaaaah. I used to think it was a stressful, difficult game. And the thing is...it still kinda IS. According to the readout at the end, I died on Easy mode 30 times. And consumed 53 Ink Ribbon saves for no stress. It was still very tough at points. Stressful, even. But funly so. Funly stressful, funly tough.

If I'd played it normally I bet I'd have used about 18 ink ribbons first playthrough and prob died about five more times but would've been about 5X more stressed about the whole shebang.

REmake is a bloody masterpiece. Apart from Lisa Trevor. But she is easy to avoid...unlike plane c**t.

Try going back and playing it in an easier mode.

Weirdly enough, a coupla weeks back I reinstalled REmake, Resi 4 and Code Veronica, with the intention of replaying them all before 2019 fades out. But in a comfortable fashion.

Yeah, I'm gonna be playing Code Veronica 360 verrrrry shortly...on Easy.

And by God I'm gonna fu**in enjoy it.
      Last edited by JazzFunk; 06-10-2019, 03:02.

Comment

Thing about REmake...there really aren't that many enemies. It's all in how you conserve your ammo or use the right ammo on the right enemies.

Early on in the game, knock the zombies down with a couple of shots then knife-slash 'em as much as you can while they're on the ground and 65% of the time they're wormfood.

Also, save your acid rounds for Hunters.

And avoid everything that seems strong you CAN avoid, then save as soon as you can.

You know the score. Tbh, it's not too hard. You can do it easy.

Must agree about burning things tho. You have to carry TWO items to do so and only get two burns to burn with. And the fuel supply you get is like four burns worth yet you might've killed seven zombies and wanna burn them all to prevent Crimson Heads but you can't. Absolute cack*.

*but the Crimson Heads can be quite easily evaded if you run and don't hang about.

I had very few Crimson Head trubs. Basically kill n' burn all the zombies you've offed on 'intersection' bits where you'll be criss-crossing all the time. It's a no-brainer and makes the experience much less stressful.

Comment

To cap off, I have a question.

I wanna play 360 Code Veronica on the XB1 and it shows up as BC but the last time I installed it (about May) it was HORRENDOUSLY choppy, it looked great but it was like 10fps framerate.

Instant uninstall.

Anyone playing it now on Xbone who can comment? I was shocked, tbh, last time I tried it, wondered why they'd even made it BC if it was in such a state...

Comment

And one last thing I wanna say is just point upwards with the basic shotgun and you can blast a Crimson Head's head off. Fuc a fire, they DAY-UD.

Yeah. They're not that scary. Even on harder modes, you can blow their heads off and they won't return.

I know this game appears like some thorny forest but it's marshmallow at its core. You just have to stroke the marshmallow right.

Comment

One of my fave games on the Dreamcast is Test Drive: Le Mans (aka "Le Mans 24 Hours" in the UK). Well worth trying for anyone that likes racing games. Day and night. Glowing brakes into the corners. Looks fantastic. Tyre wear. Accurate track recreation. Vapor vortex trails off the wings. Incredible really. Coincidentally 24 cars on screen at once!

You can actually do a 24hr race in real time! (Although you can save in the pits if you want).

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                One of my fave games on the Dreamcast is Test Drive: Le Mans (aka "Le Mans 24 Hours" in the UK).
                I remember really liking this back in the day. The graphics were quite astonishing at the time. It also played really smoothly and felt solid. Haven't played it for around 10 years, so I really need to go back to it. Hope it's still decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I remember really liking this back in the day. The graphics were quite astonishing at the time. It also played really smoothly and felt solid. Haven't played it for around 10 years, so I really need to go back to it. Hope it's still decent.
                  It holds up ok now. I think I'd rather go back to PGR or MSR from that era in terms of fun these days, but as a sim, it's better than non-PC from then I reckon. Arcadey games tend to survive the test of time vs Sims

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    Arcadey games tend to survive the test of time vs Sims
                    Luckily there weren't many sims in the old days of gaming, so lots of old school racers are still fun to play. The way sims are focused on tech means that old sims are usually not worth playing when you have modern iterations that are better in all respects.

Comment

Totally off topic, but I much preferred the track variety in Forza 1 to all the ones after that.

Comment

One acclaimed Dreamcast game I never got along with was Ecco. At the time it looked stunning but that's all I ever saw in it, I could see how it was a solid recreation of the 2D games but I never really got the fascination with them either

Comment

Yeah, I got half way through Ecco and got bored.

Comment

I liked jumping out of the water - it was a stunning game - but that’s pretty much all I did.

Comment

I loved it. There was one really frustration section where you had to jump through a series of water bubbles but, yeah, I loved it. It was beautiful, atmospheric and it really built to a lovely journey. It was quite difficult in places though and it required a bit of patience. I adore the 16-bit ones so maybe that's a requirement for enjoying the DC one, although they are very different games in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                I liked jumping out of the water - it was a stunning game - but that’s pretty much all I did.
                                Swimming around was a joy and I'm glad I played the half that I did

Comment

Working...
                                X