This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    Any recommendations for second hand androids that aren't completely rubbish and slow? I've got a galaxy ace 2 that seems to take an age to do anything now - not quite sure why. Don't remember it being this bad. I reflashed it with cyanogenmod, but that didn't help either. Just need something super cheap for my daughter to use (without a sim), but not a tablet.
    Take a look at Xiaomi and depending on size either a Redmi Note 5 or even a Mi Max 3... the Mi Max is a whopping 6.9" screen and has a stellar battery thanks to a massive 5,500mah. You can grab one at CEX for about 190 quid.

If you grab any Xiaomi phone I also recommend installing the Pixel launcher off the play store. You can make the entire phone look and feel like a standard pixel phone but it has the added benefit of being able to hide apps away from the front end launcher if you want to give it to your kids. I've done this for my 4 year old... she has access to some games on there from the launcher but all the other apps are hidden and only accessible from searching in the default google search bar.

Comment

15 BEST MOBILE GAMES WITH NO MICROTRANSACTIONS

Comment

Urgh. My bloody phone just died.
        Moto G5 that I've had for a few years, but it's a right ball ache that it's just died.

Basically, the screen is responding to touch, but it's not displaying.
        Done all the usual tricks, but it's buggered.

SIM-only or contract the best way forward these days?

Comment

It’s been a while!

Comment

Finally pulled the trigger, and have ditched my iPhone 6 for an iPhone 11. It's quite the jump!

Looking just at numbers I wasn't expecting the size difference to be so substantial - perhaps the biggest thing I have to get used to is that I can no longer reach all four corners of the screen with the phone in one hand and only using the one thumb, but in terms of the display real estate though, it's a very nice difference. Haven't really tinkered with much that's super-new yet, have just worked on getting things restored and in working order (moving logins from Touch ID > Face ID etc). Will likely give Apple Arcade a shot soon, but am also considering a similarly overdue upgrade to my barely-alive iPad 2. The loss of a 3.5mm jack is still a new and very fresh wound, but a phone that's actually responsive is enough of a novelty to keep me from grumbling too much.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Finally pulled the trigger, and have ditched my iPhone 6 for an iPhone 11. It's quite the jump!

Looking just at numbers I wasn't expecting the size difference to be so substantial - perhaps the biggest thing I have to get used to is that I can no longer reach all four corners of the screen with the phone in one hand and only using the one thumb, but in terms of the display real estate though, it's a very nice difference. Haven't really tinkered with much that's super-new yet, have just worked on getting things restored and in working order (moving logins from Touch ID > Face ID etc). Will likely give Apple Arcade a shot soon, but am also considering a similarly overdue upgrade to my barely-alive iPad 2. The loss of a 3.5mm jack is still a new and very fresh wound, but a phone that's actually responsive is enough of a novelty to keep me from grumbling too much.
              My motoG5plus has a one hand mode. You gesture on the screen and it shrinks it a bit to whichever corner your thumb is in. Very clever.

Comment

Yeah, iOS has a feature called Reachability which you can enable to that. It’s kind of useful but it sounds like that Moto version is praps implemented a little better. iOS just shifts the interface halfway down the screen.

An iPad 2, Fuse! Deffo needs an upgrade. I thought my 5 year old Air 2 was long in the tooth. Surprised the battery is still going tbh.

Comment

To clarify, it's not in usage any more - wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't even turn on...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    Yeah, iOS has a feature called Reachability which you can enable to that. It’s kind of useful but it sounds like that Moto version is praps implemented a little better. iOS just shifts the interface halfway down the screen.

An iPad 2, Fuse! Deffo needs an upgrade. I thought my 5 year old Air 2 was long in the tooth. Surprised the battery is still going tbh.
                    I'm still using an original Ipad Mini

Comment

iOS has a one handed keyboard mode, you hold the emoji/globe button to turn it on

Comment

Cheers - keyboard's fine though - it's more about if I'm cradling the device in my left hand from the bottom left corner of the phone, that my thumb doesn't quite stretch far enough into the top right corner to do the control centre pulldown, etc.

Comment

Got your iPhone case sorted...

Comment

OMG. Amazong

Comment

Hahaha that’s brilliant. BTW Fuse, if you are looking at iPads, I am using an Air 2 as I mentioned. That has an A8X processor, and it still runs great on iOS 13. Games like Sayonara Wild Hearts on Arcade are very smooth too - not quite as buttery as on my iPhone XR, but not far off.

The only problem is the battery life, which isn’t great after five years.

So, with the performance of my pretty old one in mind, you might want to look at the cheapest iPad, the new seventh gen one running the A10. I think it’s a pretty good deal at £349. I’ve been thinking about getting my mum a baller gold one to replace her now very slow iPad 3.

Comment

Microsoft surface duo looks interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X