No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would have been nice to see DOA move towards filling the void Virtua Fighter left but instead it's gone down the child in inappropriate underwear oogling route instead. DOA6 was as guff as expected which is a shame as I lost a lot of time on DOA2 Hardcore on DC.

Another random one: Floigan Bros

I remember playing that one but still don't understand what it was trying to be

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Another random one: Floigan Bros
      It's very much focused on solving puzzles, so similar to Banjo-Kazooie or Munch's Oddysee. Has really nice graphics. I played it for a few hours ages ago, but haven't come back to it.

Comment

Despite being a fairly unique styled late era game it definitely seems to have been swallowed up by the cancellation vacuum, never gets mentioned much. In terms of games that went the opposite way to cherished memories, getting my hands on Crazy Taxi 2. Man, what a let down that was after the original.

Comment

Yeah, Crazy Taxi 2 was really missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            Just to add with Soul Calibur... one of the things that really impressed my, as insignificant as it seems in today's climate, was watching the attract mode. When Kilik was jumping around waving his stick, he would thrust it towards the camera and then it would wobble just a little with I think a little bit of motion blur for effect. I just remember how fluid and realistic the movement looked compared to the previous generation of janky, broken pizza-topping polygons of the Playstation or the blurry, muddy, slow moving stuff on the N64.
            Yep, and one of the women fighters (or perhaps all) I'm sure they actually modelled the ankle joint properly, anyway even if they didn't I used to sit there gobsmacked by it.

Was it the DC version you could design your own intro or was it a later one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
              Was it the DC version you could design your own intro or was it a later one.
              Yes it was! You could put Astaroth as the bit where Sophitia looks at the camera and adjusts her hair. Hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                In terms of games that went the opposite way to cherished memories, getting my hands on Crazy Taxi 2. Man, what a let down that was after the original.
                Oddly, it was my first Crazy Taxi experience. I had never played the original and I loved it. I liked it so much I went and bought the original and hated it. Where was the jump button? I realise, I basically loved CT2 because it allowed me to go bouncing all over the city, jumping around like I was in some kind of high-speed platformer.

The original? Meh. Tried it on Dreamcast, GameCube, and later ports, thinking I just need it to click. It never clicked like the sequel did.

The women, they modelled the ankle joints. I used to sit there gobsmacked by it.
                This might be less because Soul Calibur looked good, and more because you might be a Victorian gentleman in the wrong time.
                Last edited by Sketcz; 12-10-2019, 08:08.

Comment

Yep, and one of the women fighters (or perhaps all) I'm sure they actually modelled the ankle joint properly, anyway even if they didn't I used to sit there gobsmacked by it.
                  FETISH REVEALED!

Comment

Going back to games that should have been released on DC, Dolphin Blue for sure:

Comment

I really liked Project Justice:Rival Schools 2 back in the day. The graphics and overall design really grabbed me. And it played really well. Haven't played it for ages though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I really liked Project Justice:Rival Schools 2 back in the day. The graphics and overall design really grabbed me. And it played really well. Haven't played it for ages though.
                        Both the Rival Schools games are fantastic (in fact, I think there might be more than 2?). I know that some people said they were like a knock-off Street Fighter games but that was what was good about them; they were competing with Street Fighter EX at the time which, while those games had something going for them, I always thought they were a poor adaptation of Street Fighter.

I remember when SFIV was on the way out, I had a big argument with someone online who was convinced it was going to be terrible, that Capcom should call it EX4, etc. but I was convinced it'd be good, because Rival Schools was.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Both the Rival Schools games are fantastic (in fact, I think there might be more than 2?). =
                          There was an update to the first game with a few more characters and features. Then the Dreamcast sequel.

I didn't know people looked down on it as a Street Fighter knock-off, when it has its own personality and style of play. I remember really liking the PS1 version -- then the Dreamcast sequel really impressed me. But they definitely don't get mentioned very often.

The PAL Dreamcast version now goes for well over £100.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            There was an update to the first game with a few more characters and features. Then the Dreamcast sequel.
                            Yeah, weirdly I seem to recall another Dreamcast game, though. It had some weird dating sim campaign mode.

Maybe that was just the Japanese version and those features were ripped out the western versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Yeah, weirdly I seem to recall another Dreamcast game, though. It had some weird dating sim campaign mode.
                              I have no idea what that is.

Comment

Another testament to the Dreamcast's enduring popularity, this has become the longest running R|S thread ever having just surpassed the one for Ridge Racer which was at least 50% arguing about whether Revolution was a sequel or an expansion. Vive la Dreamcast!

Comment

Working...
                                X